Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #1

Baja x250 front shock replacement

I am looking to upgrade the front shocks on my Baja x250 dirtbike with something that I can actually rebuild if I have to. Baja only sells the complete shock (which is not very good) and they want over $200 a piece for them! Does anybody know of a bolt-on replacement front shock? How about a rebuild kit for the Baja shocks? Thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

Are they the inverted or regular?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

inverted.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #4

When you say that they're not very good, are they too stiff? If so, maybe a set of forks from an XR would be more your style. You could measure the diameter of the forks at the triples and see if XR forks match.

What stops you from rebuilding the stock forks? I'll bet that they're copied from something, which means that the OEM seal is out there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

It seems that alot of the china forks are the same. Maybe Phil knows if the zong parts are available?

Otherwise the XR/CR/CRF suggestion is the way to got. You may be able to buy a complete front end for under $200.

Allen

Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Thanks a lot. I would love to figure out which rebuild kit to use. It seems kits are usually around $80 for Japanese bikes, which is cheap enough to try. The problem with mine is they don't have any play. I gues it could be the springs, but the bike does not rebound up once the shocks are compressed and the travel after that is only a few inches. I'll have to go to the junk yard and just compare. I was hoping someone had already done that and I could just use the info they came up with. If I can find a set that works, I'll let y'all know.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #7

Feel free to share the specs of your existing shocks. Tell us the tube diameter at the triples, the length from the top of the tube to the axle and the center to center distance of the two shocks.

I have some old XR's and one CR around, and I'd be happy to compare your specs with my junk.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #8

The diameter at the triple tree is 48mm. I will post the other specs asap.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #9

Try yamaha yz125 or yz250

Try yamaha yz125 or yz250

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapilot
The diameter at the triple tree is 48mm. I will post the other specs asap.
That diameter is too large to acoomodate traditional forks. If you want non-USD forks, you'd need to swap the triples also.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #11

I couldn't rebuild my Orion forks because the retaining clip for the fork seal cannot come out. It does not have any notches or bends in it like on my yz250 that allow you to 'pop' it out. I even tried to use a sharp pick to try and get in behind the clip and pull it out, but wasn't happening!
On top of that I did not have any dust/oil seals or bushings available from the dealer, even for the new 2010 gio that we bought.
It seems that with these bikes you need to replace the forks as a set if the seals go.

Honestly the forks on these bikes are garbage, they dampen a little but on the new gio they aren't even adjustable! Even on the orion it was strange, the right fork only handled rebound, then the left did compression, neither did both... Very odd, even the TTRs and CRF's (introductary jap bikes that are similar to ours) have adjustments for both.

I'd be more interested in seeing what forks fit from one of the bike 5 companies with these bikes. I would suspect the whole triple clamp along with the wheel, spaces, rotor and caliper would have to be replaced to get a decent set of forks on these bikes.