Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics

Old 07-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Hawks first hard run

I don't generally ride in the dirt to be honest. I prefer the street, so I just had the Hawk out for it's second time in the trails and it's first time riding it hard in the trails. It did well, bottomed out the forks a few times on not even really major jumps. We had a large crew of enduro's out and it was fun going from spot to spot doing wheelie's through the neighborhoods (nothing really reckless though thankfully). My bike apparently has a stripped out head bolt between the head and the engine from the factory. I didn't tighten or check them at all there. It's not losing compression anywhere or leaking oil so I will fix it later. I ride my ZRX 1100 mostly these days as I just finished putting it together after just buying it a month ago and tearing it apart.

BTW, yes there are two hawks next to each other. My brothers black one and my green one.

Enough blah blah's, it's picture time ->

Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #2

Great place and nice group of bikes, diverse. So, did you catch as much air as that bike in the back of the first picture ? :-)

Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

lol no I took that photo at that moment, cause he was killing it. I didn't do more than 3 feet of air for the landings. I try to go easy on the bike and it still bottomed out.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

Good times Are you going to try to cut new threads or helicoil it ?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #5

I had the similar forks on my Hensim's, long time back. I changed the fluid to 10W Bel Ray and upped the "averaged measured volume" in each leg by 5. There was no spec and each fork had a different amount of fluid out of the four fork legs. It helped tremendously. Whole new forks.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

dpl - I gotta look into it and see what's going on with it at the moment. I may make new threads or if it is too difficult, just weld it together permanently with a tack weld. lol I prefer to do it the right way, just gotta take the ambition to figure out what's going on with it. I didn't have tools that day to try tightening it fully. Just spun it with my fingers for a while, but the motor was still hot. I could be stupid and it just spun loose. I may take the time tonight or tomorrow to look it over and let you know.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

None of the CG clone engines I've worked on have head bolts, instead they have elongated tubular nuts. Could the Hawk be different?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

I can't say that I really know what they are for either as they don't really appear to be holding the head on. I did try to tighten it now that the bike sat and it appears it may have just come loose. I'm gonna have to keep tools with me out on the rides through the trails and loctite even the motor bolts I guess.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #9

Where abouts were you riding? Im originally from Kingston. What I wouldnt do to have my Hawk back home. Been down here in Texas for almost 2 years now and the area Im in there is nowhere to really ride. Not like there. I used to ride jockey hill alot and take the power lines from Sawkill to Catskill. I miss home.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

Thumbs Up

fame, looks like you are running with a fun group, wonder what the reaction was when they compared the costs of the rides a
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #11

The Hawks received only ok feedback. These bikes don't make adequate horsepower to really climb the hills we have that everyone else goes up, can't jump the big jumps cause it bottoms out and can't wheelie it at any average speed other than close to a dead stop (geared currently with the 17/45 so that doesn't help). The price for the bikes make them a good average bike for through normal beaten path trails, but if you try anything over a beginner's ride, it falls short. I enjoy it cause I don't like steep hill climbs anyways. I've loctited all the bolts, put in GN4 Honda oil and my Hawk feels like a new bike again. My plastic's have faded to the point that my bright green looks more like a pastel color though :(