Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #1

Exclamation Looking for a new 250! Brand & Dealer?

Hi guys this is my first post! So currently I am a 3 wheeler guy, I have 4 of them but they are all old and getting harder and harder to find parts for. I want to get a new quad but just don't have the money to drop 5-8k on a new quad, I am not afraid to work on things and I know that there are a few changes to be made right off the bat like a new chain and locktite the bolts, maybe a better carb, and I am fine with that sort of work.

I have been looking and reading on the forums, this seems like a great place to get some advice on these quads, there's a lot of information out there but I feel like one place says something is good, and another says it's horrible, lol. Anyway I am kind of looking at the Tao Tao Rhino 250, I saw some saying, that Q9 place is ok to deal with, although I did see a couple bad reviews online about them, but a lot of good too.

Just wondering if there seems to be a good brand that's better then the rest in the China ATV world ? And any advice from people who have had good success with a online dealer would be greatly appreciated! I just want to know that if I have a problem with my ATV the dealer will work with me so I can get the parts I need to fix it.

I am in Central M.I. and I am looking forward to getting a new ATV soon!!

Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #2

http://www.lowestpriceatv.com/taotao.../ata-300f-.htm
http://wholesaleatv.com/product/tao-tao-300-4x4/
nice but mabey more than you wanted to spend .

I just wanted to check it out, Looks more like a normal quad than the cheap ones.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

I think your choice will depend on what your planning on using the quad for. Utility? Trail riding? Racing? (lol) How about features? Automatic? Manuel clutch? 2X4 vs 4X4?

As far as dealers it sounds like there are some to really stay away from. I dealt with Superior and didn't have any issues while others have reported problems with them. Always use a credit card so your able to cancel if need be.

Welcome to the club!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

I did TXpowersports for my Rhino. If you don't need any paperwork for titling they were ok and the cheapest online. I'm not sure about the 4x4 300 model if its worth doing.

Would look for some reviews from actual owners. Don't know if the drive train is reliable. The digital dash may not be so hot either from the cheapside of China.

The rest of the TaoTao line seems to be okay if your willing to wrench them. Somewhat tried and true and most issues clearly known with fixes. First year production from the counterfeit side of China can be hit or miss on anything.

I would probably go the used route for a 4x4 quad and stick to the name brands. Would be cheaper, larger engine, and easier to find parts.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #5

Not sure if you have looked at the Coolster 3150 DX-2 but I just ordered my 3rd one and have had very few issues with them.I am 240lbs and 6'2 and the they work very well for what I use them for. Just kinda depends on what kind of riding you are looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160317_181639.jpg (99.7 KB, 312 views)

Old 07-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Thumbs Up

There is a vietnamese Hawk/quad dealer in Edmond Oklahoma that I got a Hawk from in person. He took it out of the crate in front of me and put it together, showing me the potential 'gotcha' points etc. Been in the business for like 15-20 years. you should see his parts bin. Anyway, when I asked about atv's he told me there's a helluva diff in quality, between some of the brands, and he would know. This guy worked on everything including the most expensive v-8 mercedes and mega buck BMW's. You might give him a call. If he asks, tell him you were referred by the american viet vet he knows from Arkansas.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

EVERYONE seems to have a Hawk, yet no one has reported they own the two '250' quads sold by RPS, the Canyon (utility/sport) http://www.rickypowersports.com/#!canyon-250-cc/x6iqd or the Tornado (sport) http://www.rickypowersports.com/#!to...cc-sport/c6esp . Q9 should be fine to deal with as coincidentally, Adam Rinkleff, the RPS representative who is also a member here, has stated they are ok.

Member 2LZ the Rhino, as I am sure you have seem his many posts on his quad, and 'ckangaroo70' who posted above has had good experiences with his and his brother's (I think it is his brother from what I remember him posting and watching his videos) Coolsters, but believe those are 150's.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
EVERYONE seems to have a Hawk, yet no one has reported they own the two '250' quads sold by RPS, the Canyon (utility/sport) http://www.rickypowersports.com/#!canyon-250-cc/x6iqd or the Tornado (sport) http://www.rickypowersports.com/#!to...cc-sport/c6esp . Q9 should be fine to deal with as coincidentally, Adam Rinkleff, the RPS representative who is also a member here, has stated they are ok.

Member 2LZ the Rhino, as I am sure you have seem his many posts on his quad, and 'ckangaroo70' who posted above has had good experiences with his and his brother's (I think it is his brother from what I remember him posting and watching his videos) Coolsters, but believe those are 150's.
That coolsteer does look nice (and according to the ckan pic is making it work well), I just would want something with a little more meat on the bone, closer to 250 (229cc) like culcune suggests.

Of course, the 4x4 capability is the big dividing line on the cost
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
That coolster does look nice.
Thanks. They are only 150cc but physically the same size as the 250(200)cc machines I have seen. The majority of the 150cc machines are CVT automatic and the majority of the 250(200)cc machines I have looked at are manual. One reason I went with the GY6 150cc ATV is that with thanks to the popularity of this particular engine in the china scooter community...there should be endless supply of parts and upgrades for some time to come I would think. The GY6 150cc engine I also like for it simplicity and ruggedness. Ruggedness is not a word you hear thrown around much when talking about china product, but that little china gy6 really is a little beast in my opinion and would be considered a good little engine regardless of where it is built. I am not saying it will out perform the manual 250(200)cc, but am just saying I think that GY6 should give several years of good service if serviced properly.
Like I said before...kind of depends of how you plan on riding but we have had ours in some sticky spots and clawing there way up some hills. Delivery guy going to drop another one in my yard tomorrow...so hope that one is as good as the last two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160320_102758.jpg (100.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 20160328_140242.jpg (102.0 KB, 255 views)

Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckangaroo70 View Post
Thanks. They are only 150cc but physically the same size as the 250(200)cc machines I have seen. The majority of the 150cc machines are CVT automatic and the majority of the 250(200)cc machines I have looked at are manual. One reason I went with the GY6 150cc ATV is that with thanks to the popularity of this particular engine in the china scooter community...there should be endless supply of parts and upgrades for some time to come I would think. The GY6 150cc engine I also like for it simplicity and ruggedness. Ruggedness is not a word you hear thrown around much when talking about china product, but that little china gy6 really is a little beast in my opinion and would be considered a good little engine regardless of where it is built. I am not saying it will out perform the manual 250(200)cc, but am just saying I think that GY6 should give several years of good service if serviced properly.
Like I said before...kind of depends of how you plan on riding but we have had ours in some sticky spots and clawing there way up some hills. Delivery guy going to drop another one in my yard tomorrow...so hope that one is as good as the last two.
Zong motor and you can't argue with the price! $969
http://www.wmsbrighton.com/product_p...er-3150dx2.htm

Old 07-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

The first Coolster 3150 DX 2 I ordered from Power Sports Max. They use there own designation and call the Coolster DX-2 a JO10. They now carry a Coolster DX-3 which they designate as the JO25. Only difference I can see is that the Coolster DX-2 has rear disc and front drum brakes and the new DX-3 or JO25 has front and rear disc brakes.
http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/20468

The second and third Coolster...a red and green camo version DX-2 I ordered from Killer Motor Sports.

Can't really comment on how well the customer support is with either of these two retailers because I really have not had any issues to complain to them about. Both places delivered what they promised and advertised thus far.

I know the OP is considering a 250 and I don't want to hijack this thread trying to convince him to go another direction. Just want to share my particular experience with the china quads I have bought because some times up to date information and reviews can be hard to find on all the models and brands out there. Comments or reviews on a product from 5 years ago might not accurately represent the same product being built last year or this year.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #12

Viking, what are you thinking? 2x4? 4x4? Price range? Manuel? Automatic? We love talking about this stuff!

Chang says this is a no Bulls hit site. Here s the Rhino http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/18023

2lz changed over to a grip,roll type throttle and reports good results vs the thumb control.