Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
Thats an overhead cam zong motor, the Hawk and tt250 have the pushrod motors, the major diff being the counterbalancer and lower compression on the zong. Like I said, I have both. The zong is in fact smoother, the hawk clearly has more low end grunt. both appear to be good motors. One thing, the zong clutch is VERY smooth and 2 finger light. The Hawks is stiffer. Zong tranny seems free'er running so far, Hawk's feels just plain industrial which for me is a good thing. Zong is happier in the high revs/ Hawk in the low/mids, like a tractor-think smaller KLr like.
You are going to change the same things to get either ready for adv work, the Hawk just saves you more money.
I'll be curious to see how the Zong responds to you, as compared the the Hawk, after break-in. These CG motors change dramatically between 300-500 miles in their power delivery. Mrs 2LZ TT noticeably grew in mid-range between those miles.
I'm sure spinning the counterbanancer takes away a little umph but with these tiny motors, who knows how little.

It's neat that you have both bikes to compare and I look forward to the reports as they go along. I don't have a Hawk to compare to but you're sure right when you say how solid of a feel the TT has when you're riding it. For a little bike, it has a very substantial, stable feel to it under you.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
call Wolftrax and ask if you can go with him outfit yourself and gear carrying bags to suit, and learn some spanish
Interesting that you have both perspectives, but I am thinking of someone flying in to the US and getting an assembled bike delivered to them from CSC vs. the hit or miss of putting a Hawk together. I guess, if one found one at a dealership, assembled, that could change the dynamics. Motobuys in Phoenix sell the Hawk, so I wonder if they would assemble them and PDI if one was to visit their retail store? There is another dealer selling Bashan Storms in the Phoenix area.

As far as going with Wolftrax, I had emailed him months ago, and was discussing riding down to Cabo and back, whereas he would continue on his journey by hopping on the ferry.

I am actually thinking of getting my old TMEC back in shape, but Excalibur has one for a super low price. They took it back under warranty a couple years ago, but have since fixed it, but it has been sitting for at least 2 years. They are in the middle of moving warehouses, so I would have to go this week, as they don't want to move it, but that would involve renting a truck and driving the 600 miles there and back.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #1353

Doh!

again, culcune, sorry in advance but a couple of things about the csc assembly...
mine was assembled and road-tested by csc, before recrating as were all the units delivered so far. This thread has numerous reports that this has not guaranteed problem free bikes, nor does it mitigate the things that would still have to be done to prepare one for your own expedition. in fact verses my own Hawks, one put together in front of me by a knowledgeable
seller, and one done by myself and my bro, we have had fewer issues with the Hawks, save the recent discovery of the stupid mechanical axle bolt swingarm spacer mechanism- which MAY well be the same setup used in the TT250 swingarm, we haven't torn that one down yet.
In any even, the mods and prep needed to be done look to be the same, not counting the shock/headset/speedo problems I've found on my tt250, but NOT on the hawks....
ps, that TMEC was(/remains?) a good piece of kit
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
The Hawk 250 and the TT 250 are pretty much the same bikes and both will need mods and adjustments to suit the rider if you are like me.

Hawk engine and TT 250 engine. The Chinese make me confused and I did drink the punch tonight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282092157984...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291817884478...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Nice posts on the sites. Good to see these replacement motors are pretty cheap. I believe that overhead cam unit produces a little more hp than the pushrod.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Nice posts on the sites. Good to see these replacement motors are pretty cheap. I believe that overhead cam unit produces a little more hp than the pushrod.
Do you think the OHC mill will fit the TT250 frame?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #1356

TT250 Trail Ride

Rode an excellent trail ride yesterday courtesy of Glenn Morgan (MrGem) on the TT250.

As I'm not particularly skilled, I give it a 7 out of 10 for difficulty. Some pretty steep and rocky climbs and descents. Half-way through the ride I realized it was forward or nothing as going back was not an option. Quite sore this morning, but glad that I rode outside my comfort zone and survived.

I'm Pleased so far with the TT250's suspension for my uses, but I could tell that the suspension would probably be inadequate at higher speeds on this particular set of trails. I think the TT250 isn't designed for this type of riding, but it did it OK.

Google Map w/GPX track: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...zc2I7lh7tzsTd8

Thanks Glenn

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
Do you think the OHC mill will fit the TT250 frame?
this is the question. one would have to have the schematics for the motor for dimensions. first thought is no because of the possible addition to the top of the cylinder due to the overhead cam mech. unless there is plenty of room on the 250tt between the frame and the head. i wouldn't know that, i have a bashan.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #1358

Quote:
this is the question. one would have to have the schematics for the motor for dimensions. first thought is no because of the possible addition to the top of the cylinder due to the overhead cam mech. unless there is plenty of room on the 250tt between the frame and the head. i wouldn't know that, i have a bashan.
I think that Fastdoc could have fit either pushrod or OHC motor in his XR200 he built. Hopefully he'll chime in....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
Rode an excellent trail ride yesterday courtesy of Glenn Morgan (MrGem) on the TT250.

As I'm not particularly skilled, I give it a 7 out of 10 for difficulty. Some pretty steep and rocky climbs and descents. Half-way through the ride I realized it was forward or nothing as going back was not an option. Quite sore this morning, but glad that I rode outside my comfort zone and survived.

I'm Pleased so far with the TT250's suspension for my uses, but I could tell that the suspension would probably be inadequate at higher speeds on this particular set of trails. I think the TT250 isn't designed for this type of riding, but it did it OK.

Google Map w/GPX track: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...zc2I7lh7tzsTd8

Thanks Glenn

Cheers,

Dan K.
Oh, Man I love it up there. See any good burns / flames? You rode right though where the fire was a few weeks ago didn't you?

Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #1360

The fire was north and east of Nederland. Nothing but trees and grass where we were riding.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #1361

dan k...any trail that says "nat forest boundary ridgeline" has to be some serious stuff. thanks for sharing. what kind of technology did you use to track this trek?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #1362

4/26 order date, being delivered to CT tomorrow, 7/26!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #1363

Quote:
dan k...any trail that says "nat forest boundary ridgeline" has to be some serious stuff. thanks for sharing. what kind of technology did you use to track this trek?
It's just the GPX track from my Garmin Oregon GPS unit. I imported it into Google maps.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #1364

I calculated the elevation profile for the ride:

Cheers,

Dan K.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post

Thanks Glenn

Cheers,

Dan K.
Dan,
I would agree on the suspension. Not enough travel for some of the rockier spots. I've not looked at adjusting the suspension much but might look at the preload and rebound on the rear shock and rebound on the front to see if it helps.

Will be looking at gearing too for steeper trails.

Do you still have your TT at the stock jetting?

Rojo