Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

Thumbs Up CSC SG400's Are Finally In

Received an email from Sara at CSC yesterday letting me know that the SG400's are in and will be shipping soon. I emailed back to confirm all of my Certificate of Origin and shipping info, as well as my color choice. Waiting for a call for credit card info for payment now.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the delay from the original July shipping estimate was only a month, given the current shipping backlogs and manufacturing chaos due to COVID19. It looks like I may be able to get one or two thousand break in miles on the bike before the end of the year, if global warming does its part and keeps things clear here in Ohio into December. We shall see.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

If you don't mind, can you tell us the total price you paid including delivery? Also, are you getting any items that CSC is providing such as filters, manuals, CDs, ect. I know that they are known as being great with after purchase support. Thanks.

Oh yeah, we're also going to need to see lots of pictures after delivery.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

Curiosity took me to CSC's site and I got a kick out of the "Sinister Black" color moniker of this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG400-9__33944.1628878082 (2).jpg (73.8 KB, 760 views)

Old 09-02-2021, 02:17 AM   #4

Is this 400 made by the same manufacturer that has been producing RX-3/Zongshen?

Old 09-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Is this 400 made by the same manufacturer that has been producing RX-3/Zongshen?
Yes, my understanding is it is produced by Zongshen
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 09-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Curiosity took me to CSC's site and I got a kick out of the "Sinister Black" color moniker of this:
Deciding between the SG400 and the RX4 is not easy.
The SG suits me better in the long run, but I still would like to be able ride some trails.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 09-02-2021 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelen

Old 09-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Deciding between the SG400 and the RX4 is not easy.
The SG suits me better in the long run, but I still would like to be able ride some trails.
You could always toss some Shinko 700's on the SG400 as long as you aren't aiming to do anything super hardcore. The tubless spoke rims are well suited for an "ADV" style bike, and they make the 700 in the exact sizes needed.

I am just waiting until they become available. I am so torn between buying an SG400 and the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. I am waiting to pull the trigger until there is more information out there on the SG400. You would think it would be an easy choice, but each bike has pros and cons that make it almost an even pick in my eyes. All of the delays due to covid are making the wait even worse lol
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

I am just waiting until they become available. I am so torn between buying an SG400 and the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. I am waiting to pull the trigger until there is more information out there on the SG400. You would think it would be an easy choice, but each bike has pros and cons that make it almost an even pick in my eyes. All of the delays due to covid are making the wait even worse lol
That would not even be a blink of the eye decision for me. I have a Himalayan that has served me for three years without a hiccup and if it does hiccup there is a dealer and service department 12 miles down the road from me. Three more dealers within 100 miles.

No guessing about parts numbers or matches, no waiting for weeks on shipping, no frustrations when the wrong part arrives. There is even a trained and certified mechanic to do repairs I can not do.

Plus I have all the parts available from the internet for customizing.

If RE decides to reintroduce a fuel injected 500 Bullet classic I am trading the Himalayan for one. It is just the power difference I am looking for.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:18 PM   #9

There's a few custom RE 650 interceptor modded Scramblers around that look the business.
for example.

Some whispers of RE making their own scrambler based off the Himalayan but I don't think it looks as good. Scram 411.

Not to derail the OP but if the China Bike money is in the same ball park I know where'd i'd be going.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:03 AM   #10

SG400 Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
If you don't mind, can you tell us the total price you paid including delivery? Also, are you getting any items that CSC is providing such as filters, manuals, CDs, ect. I know that they are known as being great with after purchase support. Thanks.

Oh yeah, we're also going to need to see lots of pictures after delivery.
Just got my invoice via email, the OTD total, which does not include my state sales tax, is $5445.00 US, which breaks down as follows:

SG400: $4895.00

Doc Fee: $55.00

Assembly/Dealer Prep: $345.00

Shipping $150.00

Waiting on a Tracking Number now; it seems that the SG400's are small enough to be crated and shipped freight instead of by a dedicated motorcycle carrier like HaulBikes, which is what CSC used for my RX4.

Once it gets here, I will be sure to get some pictures and a quick initial impression up for you guys to peruse at your leisure. Hopefully, those of you on the fence will be able to make a decision one way or the other as to whether or not the bike would be a good fit for you. More to come, stay tuned.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
That would not even be a blink of the eye decision for me. I have a Himalayan that has served me for three years without a hiccup and if it does hiccup there is a dealer and service department 12 miles down the road from me. Three more dealers within 100 miles.

No guessing about parts numbers or matches, no waiting for weeks on shipping, no frustrations when the wrong part arrives. There is even a trained and certified mechanic to do repairs I can not do.

Plus I have all the parts available from the internet for customizing.

If RE decides to reintroduce a fuel injected 500 Bullet classic I am trading the Himalayan for one. It is just the power difference I am looking for.
You would think it would be a blink of an eye decision, but if you compare the bikes with an open mind, it's not as easy as you think.

Yes, the RE 650 has 11 more hp, but it also weighs 445lbs with no fuel, which is quite a bit heavier than the SG400 at around 360lbs without fuel. That is a huge difference and will make a big difference in several aspects of performance and handling.

The 650 makes more torque sure, but it also flattens out pretty severely as it approaches it's 7500rpm redline. The SG400 has more revs to work with, but still looks to have a decent torque curve - though I can't comment how it pulls up top obviously. I have ridden a Int 650 though and am very familiar.

5 gallon fuel capacity on the SG vs 3.6 on the Int 650. Rated fuel economy is about the same, which gives the SG a heck of a range. Top Speeds are both near 100mph - 96 vs 105. That means they are both capable enough for highway duty.

Honestly, the one big advantage of the Int 650 is the aftermarket support. Being a big guy, even though I have lost a bunch of weight, I have to basically modify the suspension of every bike I own with higher rate springs at a minimum. I am actually not that worried about factory support as CSC has been an incredible company to work with in my own personal experience, and many owners have sung their praises in regards to warranty support.

I do like that the SG400 has inverted front forks as well. Brake performance is likely similar, the SG rotors being a little smaller, but the bike also being almost 100lbs lighter kind of makes up for it.

My interest for one of these bikes is to likely replace my Hawk as a commuter. Either bike would be good at the job honestly. The one big selling factor for me is how I fit on the bike, and from the specs I can find, the SG400 is actually pretty close to the same dimensions, being quite a bit narrower as the one big exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post

Not to derail the OP but if the China Bike money is in the same ball park I know where'd i'd be going.
You would think that would be an easy choice. After all the fees and everything else, new for new, the SG400 delivered is $5,445.

An Interceptor 650 (in Orange Crush, because I love Orange lol) after dealer fees and all, is about $6300 from my local dealership.

A $900 difference doesn't seem like much, but it's enough.

Plus, the Royal Enfields aren't unknown to have some quality issues similar to the higher end Chinese bikes. Cross threaded bolts from the factory, corrosion, and some poor material quality issues abound. The 650's just had a recall issued this year for the brake calipers corroding severely enough to potentially cause total brake failure.

I trust the build quality of the SG400 way more than I do my Hawk, and I ride the hell out of my Hawk.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post

Once it gets here, I will be sure to get some pictures and a quick initial impression up for you guys to peruse at your leisure. Hopefully, those of you on the fence will be able to make a decision one way or the other as to whether or not the bike would be a good fit for you. More to come, stay tuned.
I for one would love any and all information you could provide. I know it's hard for me to find a proper rider analog seeing as I am 6'4, but any picture and opinion you can provide will still help a great deal.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
A $900 difference doesn't seem like much, but it's enough.
$900USD isn't chump change but neither is an additional 250cc displacement.
Build quality I believe RE has improved enough to not be as concerned.

Not to Say the SG400 isn't a decent bike either and $900 could get some decent custom upgrade options. First thing I'd be ditching is the weird tail appendage

had a dream of going to India and finding a RE Diesel Bullet. Riding it back to Australia....Not likely anytime soon given the way the world turned out or the probability of Australian customs killing the plan with fees and regulations.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:04 AM   #14

Yep, $900 difference. For that you get;

120 years of bike building experience.

And you get a full three year warranty with parts in inventory and work done by the local dealer. It's not E-bay/Fed-X and DIY!

And you get full road service. If a RE breaks down they feel so bad about it that they send a truck pick you up!

Some would say those things were actually necessities and expected with a new bike purchase.

But you gotta' do what you gotta' do.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
$900USD isn't chump change but neither is an additional 250cc displacement.
Build quality I believe RE has improved enough to not be as concerned.

Not to Say the SG400 isn't a decent bike either and $900 could get some decent custom upgrade options. First thing I'd be ditching is the weird tail appendage

had a dream of going to India and finding a RE Diesel Bullet. Riding it back to Australia....Not likely anytime soon given the way the world turned out or the probability of Australian customs killing the plan with fees and regulations.
I don't disagree. The quality has improved some, but they still aren't perfect either.

That extra 250cc gets you 11hp and 14lb-ft in US English. The difference is still in how that power is delivered, with the RE being a nice low RPM torque machine that gets a bit anemic at the top (not bad, just a bit). That extra 250cc's also comes with 90lbs of extra weight, which is a big thing to keep in mind. Those big 650's are overbuilt heavy lumps (not a bad thing, just a fact).

I love the RE, but curosity has me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
Yep, $900 difference. For that you get;

120 years of bike building experience.

And you get a full three year warranty with parts in inventory and work done by the local dealer. It's not E-bay/Fed-X and DIY!

And you get full road service. If a RE breaks down they feel so bad about it that they send a truck pick you up!

Some would say those things were actually necessities and expected with a new bike purchase.

But you gotta' do what you gotta' do.
120 years of bike building experience? I will grant that, but with an asterix. Between multiple owners and two continents. That 120 years definitely shows in the design of the bike...

Yes, you do get a 3 year warranty, that is a selling point for sure.

CSC does however help their owners with warranty repair by working with local shops to help pay for repairs and supply parts. CSC isn't quite your typical Chonda retailer. That is the ONLY reason I am even looking at this bike considering the kind of money involved.

The only real thing lacking there is the local dealer support, which I have considered. That is actually one of the big selling points for the RE actually.

Another big selling point is re-sale ability. I post a RE Interceptor 650 up for sale used and it will probably sell pretty quick for a decent price. I put the SG400 up for sale used and I am guaranteed to take a huge loss, even by motorcycle standards.

Last big selling point is the enormous aftermarket support. To me that is no small thing, because being a big and tall guy it's very necessary for me to do some upgrades. I can get full suspension kits, bespoke luggage kits from major retailers, seats from companies like Corbin, and on and on. Sky is the limit.

I am not a blind fool, but I am an adventurous fool that likes to step off the beaten path (There is a reason my Youtube name is OddBallPerformance). Hell ,I bought a Hawk. I modded the crap out of said Hawk. I could have easily gone another direction, but I didn't. I also don't regret it one bit.

I will say this. I do think the SG400 should be priced a lower than it is (hack at least $500 off the price) At $5500 delivered I can name several other bikes at or close to that same price range with similar performance from other big brands too.
The Z400 immediately comes to mind, and it's almost the exact same price after fees etc.
The Yamaha MT03 is actually cheaper, and it comes with that amazing 321cc twin from the R3 (which is more powerful than the SG400). The MT03 is actually the other bike on my consideration list.
My only real issue with either of those bikes is the very modern angular and aggressive styling... it just isn't me. I love more classic or understated styling, which is why the Interceptor and SG400 are more appealing to me.

Tags
csc, san gabriel, sg400