Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #181

Just checked Amazon...FREAKING SPROCKET DELIVERED! Will wonders never cease...

I'll be busy tonight! :-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #182

No burger at the pub tonight, you have work to do!

Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
No burger at the pub tonight, you have work to do!
Now he and Mrs. 2LZ can both take their Zongs to the pub! Isn't this the last item planned?

Current: CSC TT250

Old 08-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #184

Thumbs Up

don't forget a celebratory chinariders.net burrito
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #185

Why spend the extra 1k for a TT if you got to do all this??? I just don't get why people just don't buy a hawk and then mod it up? So far the CSC TT hasn't impressed me at all. If I'm going to spend another grand, I shouldn't have to loktight everything, change the factory oil, mess with valves, or worry about anything but basic maintenance for a while. The time and $ spent into all this sh*t onto and already $2400 bike is ridiculous. Save it and just buy a used Honda

Last edited by Weldangrind; 08-02-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
Why spend the extra 1k for a TT if you got to do all this??? I just don't get why people just don't buy a hawk and then mod it up? So far the CSC TT hasn't impressed me at all. If I'm going to spend another grand, I shouldn't have to loktight everything, change the factory oil, fuck with valves, or worry about anything but basic maintenance for a while. The time and $ spent into all this shit onto and already $2400 bike is ridiculous. Save it and just buy a used Honda
I assume you mean an extra $1,000 over a Hawk. Well, let me tell you!

Advantages of a TT250 over a Hawk for me:
1. Very little assembly required. My TT250 was delivered to my door with the mirrors and optional handguards uninstalled. I had to spend about 5 minutes getting the mirrors on and taking the bike off the pallet, then it was able to be ridden.
2. Parts availability: I'm perfectly happy to pay a bit more at the outset in exchange for the knowledge (proven a few times over when I've broken parts because I'm not a good dirt rider yet) that they'll have the parts in stock and can get them directly to me quickly. Compare this to a Hawk, which may or may not have parts available, and if they are available, the parts may not be designed for that bike specifically.
3. CSC warranty: If something breaks (which it often does on a new model regardless of brand) I'd rather the seller could send me a new part without hassle.
4. Full service manual: few new bikes (none I'm aware of, actually) have a decently written, well-illustrated service manual covering all routine maintenance items. I don't like to be told to take the bike to a shop, and I don't like having to research online for someone else's opinion on how to perform a maintenance or repair task.
5. The price when I bought it, including registration, skid plate, and luggage plate, was less than 2500.

As far as maintenance goes, I'm an admitted gearhead, so I don't mind getting into the maintenance myself. Changing oil actually takes me longer than adjusting the valves since I realized that the gas tank doesn't have to come off to adjust them. Besides, valve adjustments are basic maintenance and should be performed regularly on pretty much any motorcycle.
Any new motor I get, regardless of brand or type, I will run for a few hundred miles and then change the oil. The manufacturing process naturally leaves behind residue and I don't want it to stick around.

Now, there have been a few things that weren't impressive to me: my brake fluid was awful, the speedometer cable snapped even after I greased and rerouted it, and the front sprocket had the wrong number of teeth. CSC gladly sent new parts for the cable and sprocket, and the brake fluid wasn't difficult to change. However, I can see that there are folks for whom these might be deal breakers. I'm not one of them. I bought this bike knowing that I'd be doing some work on it. In fact, that's part of what I look forward to.

Does it need performance mods? I don't think so. My bike, with me on it, gladly maintains 50 mph anywhere and is perfectly happy out on the trails and non-highway roads. Will I be modding it? Probably! I want to. I think it's fun to play with. Is it any different from modding a Hawk? Perhaps not much, but I do know that if I encounter any problems at all, I can replace the parts and get the bike back to a known-good stock state easily and reliably.

I'm a happy camper with my TT250, and I think many others have agreed so far. 2LZ, in this thread, has clearly indicated that he and Mrs. 2LZ have enjoyed the bike a lot and he thinks he can make it even better. It's not a transition from mediocre to good, but from good to better, and I think that's what riding any China Bike is all about.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:02 AM   #187

Oddt...BOOM

Motorcyclelove.. awesome, keep up the pithy comments !

This is great stuff!!!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #188

Quote:
Why spend the extra 1k for a TT if you got to do all this??? I just don't get why people just don't buy a hawk and then mod it up? So far the CSC TT hasn't impressed me at all. If I'm going to spend another grand, I shouldn't have to loktight everything, change the factory oil, mess with valves, or worry about anything but basic maintenance for a while. The time and $ spent into all this sh*t onto and already $2400 bike is ridiculous. Save it and just buy a used Honda
Hey man this is ChinaRiders I have a 150$ in parts for a scooter that has not got here yet and a model I have never seen. Just remember he RODE his bike in the shop not pushed it. What honda are you riding because I do oil changes and valve jobs to my shadow. When you preform MAINTENANCE there should be no problems with your bike

Last edited by Weldangrind; 08-02-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #189

I looked at getting a Hawk or other "put together" bike while considering a small motorcycle purchase. There is a lot of info on these pages about them and it put me off, issues like registration, parts availability, paperwork taking weeks and weeks to get, unanswered emails/phone calls bla bla bla. bullshit. Thats why I bought a TT. I got my paperwork prior to the bike arriving and easily got a plate. I dumped it and had new parts in 4 days. There are tutorials (have you looked ay the CSC website). The first two letters of CSC could mean Customer Service. The hawks are good bikes; from reading this forum I've learned they just take more sorting out and it seems most of the dealers are uncaring once they have your money. I was not going to buy into that crap and was happy to pay CSC.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopat View Post
I looked at getting a Hawk or other "put together" bike while considering a small motorcycle purchase. There is a lot of info on these pages about them and it put me off, issues like registration, parts availability, paperwork taking weeks and weeks to get, unanswered emails/phone calls bla bla bla. bullshit. Thats why I bought a TT. I got my paperwork prior to the bike arriving and easily got a plate. I dumped it and had new parts in 4 days. There are tutorials (have you looked ay the CSC website). The first two letters of CSC could mean Customer Service. The hawks are good bikes; from reading this forum I've learned they just take more sorting out and it seems most of the dealers are uncaring once they have your money. I was not going to buy into that crap and was happy to pay CSC.
Amen, brother!

2016 CSC TT250

Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #191

as the olde saying goes: "you don t go wrong with a zong". i ve got a couple of zongs, they are a great product when you add TLC. so is a used honda - but it s still going to need TLC as well, especially if the PO didn t give it enough.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #192

Quote:
The TT listed at 1895 (boat price) when we bought them. The Hawk comes in at around 1400.00 on most websites. You have to look at retail. Most everyone pays shipping, tax, and everyone pays DMV.

Here in CA, we don't have the option of a Hawk or any other streetable China Bike other than the SSR, which outclasses and out-prices both the Hawk and the TT250 at around 2800.00....but no service or parts.

Long story short, if you're not impressed with the TT250, then by all means, please don't purchase one. Having one tore apart and reassembled, I'm actually very impressed now. It's a far better built bike than I was expecting, especially compared to many Hondoids available just a few years ago. I can tell you from honest experience that I've worked on virtually brand new Japanese bikes, that were also lacking in grease, proper adjustments and overall assembly woes. This isn't uncommon with any new bike, regardless of price or country of origin.

I've shopped the used Japanese market here for a very long time and people want a mint for 10 year old junk. It's very rare to find a good, used Japanese dual sport, within a few years old, at a good price, that's not snatched up the second the CL listing hits.

Please note that the intention of this build thread was to tear a brand new TT250 down, do some basic mods, and show everyone, especially the newbies, the guts of the TT (and most Hondoids) regarding what I've found and what to possibly look out for. Also, to help create a lasting source of information that can be referred to in the future when problems may arise with others, or when someone may need a part reference or torque spec, or just a visual that may help them. Thank you.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by Weldangrind; 08-02-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Please note that the intention of this build thread was to tear a brand new TT250 down, do some basic mods, and show everyone, especially the newbies, the guts of the TT (and most Hondoids) regarding what I've found and what to possibly look out for. Also, to help create a lasting source of information that can be referred to in the future when problems may arise with others, or when someone may need a part reference or torque spec, or just a visual that may help them. Thank you.
And a great thread it's been so far! This has already been great for me. I may have been a china rider at heart for years, but this is my first CB, so I know I'm grateful for the introduction you've provided!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #194

Phoenix Rising

Hi All!

Yep! Got busy last night on the TT250! The ever-illusive JTR269.47 finally arrived! WOO HOO! Manna from Heaven, I tell ya.... It amazes me that Amazon can have us a new pool delivered in 1.5 days....but...oh, never mind.

After I cleaned the mounting bolts and as our fellow China Rider kohburn mentioned, I took my Dremel and a small sanding barrel and had to bust the paint off the center hole of the sprocket for it to slip snuggly around the hub and flat to the mounting surface. You don't have to relieve much. It's just that both the hub and the sprocket are painted. Speaking of which, I forgot that JTS already paints their steel rear sprockets.....so I have a brand new can of "satin black" for sale, cheap. ;-)

Once seated, I torqued the sprocket bolts to 25 ft lbs (cross pattern, of course) and used a drop of blue locktite on each.

I then installed the new Unibear 428 chain. Once unpackaged, it's a really nice chain and as I rolled it through my hands feeling the links, each was noticeably much smoother than the original POS. Not one link had a stiff feel or kink. Silky smooth. Nice.... Great chain for under 15.00 delivered.

I still wanted to install the plastic chain guard but with the flat sprocket, I had to install it on the inside of the mounts, using some a small nuts as shims to hold it centered to the chain....then thread the bolts in from the backside. Worked out well enough. Once assembled, it was the moment of truth, off the rack and out for the inaugural putt.

I was a little nervous, though I'd been fine-tooth combing the thing for two weeks now. The ol' "What did I miss?" feeling hit. It's like "Did I leave the coffee maker on?" but this would have caused road rash instead of a burnt kitchen.

The bike fired right up and I let it warm, looking for fuel leaks, etc... All systems go.
Once I rolled out of the driveway, I took it real easy at first looking down coasting along down the hill, making sure everything was cool...then something immediately jumped out at me. ZERO chain noise. That <bzzzzz...> had vanished. The Unibear chain, at least this one, is dead silent. Nice.

Once I got down to a turn around, knowing now nothing would fall off or I'd forgotten anything, I decided to see how it really ran. I started going through the gears and the new rear sprocket is just what the Doctor ordered for our needs. First gear was still "trailable" but each gear was slightly leggier and could be taken further.....plus, even with the taller gearing, it was obvious that the mods were working. Acceleration and power curve had been improved across the board according to my (non-scientific) butt dyno. Not like "turbo", but definitely noticeable. It breathed further and longer.

Speaking of noticeable, that buzz we were getting at 5000 rpms had vanished. Must have been re-torqueing the motor mounts to spec, combined with still breaking-in. As a matter of fact, once I got up to speed, the entire bike was far smoother than previously ridden. The buzz in the hands and feet were noticbly smoother. So far, happy!

Up at speed, with this gearing and mods, the TT250 held a solid 55 MPH on the conservative speedo (55 is almost 60 I hear?) @ a solid 6700 rpms....and at 2/3-3/4 throttle. It had more to go. This is a vast improvement over the stock setup. 55 before was pretty much topped out, screaming, full throttle.

For our windy pavement, gravel roads and the riding we have here in Volcano, it seems this gearing will be perfect.

In addition, now that the fork fluid has been changed and I've reset the rear shock, instead of the front end being stick-stiff and the rear bouncy, the bike bounced up and down evenly, front and rear. One more thing to check off the list.

Anyway, back on the rack. Still have to bleed out the rear brakes with DOT 4, adjust the bars and all the controls for Mrs. 2LZ, wash, wax and Armor All....and I think it's about done!

Doesn't that blacked-out sprocket look bad a$$, with how murdered-out the accenting is on this bike? I thought so............

More in a day or so. Thanks for listening.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #195

"The TT listed at 1895 (boat price) when we bought them"
That was a great price! After all is added up the delivered price is 2575 now.