Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2019, 01:12 AM   #31

I don't have an RX3, I've just read about a lot of people who have installed the kit in their engines on this site and ADVRider. Honestly I was going to get the RX3, but the price on this buck is so good that I'm going to get it instead.

Charles.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's good to know. I think you mean this one, the Lifan V16 LF250-D:

When I looked into it, it indeed seemed to have fuel injection and the same specs, so it is probably the same engine as the Buccaneer's, except for the side covers and valve covers, etc.

It seems likely that the fuel injection will be part of any new bikes using the Lifan motor.
Ok, just saw the 'Lycan' on the 2019 EPA/DOT on-highway certification list and the engine model is the '2V49FMM-P'

The EPA/DOT list scrolls down to other model years. I scrolled down to the 2018 list. The engine for the 2018 Buccaneer is (as you already knew) manufactured by Lifan, and is listed as the same model. So, you will be able to theoretically obtain replacement parts and/or engines via American Lifan.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-06-2019, 12:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Ok, just saw the 'Lycan' on the 2019 EPA/DOT on-highway certification list and the engine model is the '2V49FMM-P'

The EPA/DOT list scrolls down to other model years. I scrolled down to the 2018 list. The engine for the 2018 Buccaneer is (as you already knew) manufactured by Lifan, and is listed as the same model. So, you will be able to theoretically obtain replacement parts and/or engines via American Lifan.
Right you are, Culcune.

I found a lifanmotos.net page referring to a "Lifan Lycan V16," here:

www.lifanmotos.net/News/activity/2018-10-30/76.html

showing that the Lycan and the V16 are the same bike, as you suggested.

Also, confirming your EPA/DOT finding, the same engine model number, 2V49FMM-P, is stamped on the left side of mine. Good news!

It is amazing how different the same engine looks in the Lycan compared with the Buccaneer. I wonder if all that chromed cladding is metal or plastic.

Buc

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-06-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
I don't have an RX3, I've just read about a lot of people who have installed the kit in their engines on this site and ADVRider. Honestly I was going to get the RX3, but the price on this buck is so good that I'm going to get it instead.

Charles.
That's great news. Maybe you will lead the way on a big-bore upgrade. I do worry about more vibration, though.

Speaking of which, if you want to use the same heavier bar end weights I did, from a Guzzi Breva 1100, I'll be happy to send you a pair of longer screws that I had to buy in a lot of 10 when I couldn't find them locally.

Here are the details for the heavier bar end weights:

The weights are Guzzi part number AP8104572, available for $7.80 each from af1racing.com, and in-stock now. They are almost twice as long as the original weights and a little larger diameter. They weigh more than twice as much, as judged by hefting them. They fit the hand grips well, with the rubber lip on the end of each grip expanding a little wider to cup them slightly. (I had to add 2 or 3 common washers between the weights and the mounting points to get the weights properly aligned, as I recall. They are not visible now.)

Since I have four extra pairs of stainless steel 90mm button-head screws I'll never use, I'm offering to send you a pair for free, including US shipping, if you want one. This offer also applies for any other forum member buying a Buccaneer, while my supply lasts. Just send me a PM with a shipping address.

Buc

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-06-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #35

Cool. I'm not sure what bar-end config I'm going with. Judging by the look of the parts, the Buccaneer's bars have threaded inserts, right? If so, a bar snake is out of the question.

Charles.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Cool. I'm not sure what bar-end config I'm going with. Judging by the look of the parts, the Buccaneer's bars have threaded inserts, right? If so, a bar snake is out of the question.

Charles.
As I recall, yes, the threaded inserts are welded in. (Otherwise I wouldn't have needed to get such long screws, since the other possibility is movable plugs, usually rubber.)

I've never used bar snakes. Maybe I should try those sometime.

Buccaneer

Old 02-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #37

Well, there's apparently liquid bar snake as well. That might work nicely. Fills the entire handlebar with a very dense liquid, that hardens into a dense rubber-like compound. That might be the ticket for the SSR. I hate to add a lot of weight though... I'll see how bad the vibration is next week.... because.... I'M ABOUT TO OWN ONE!

That's right, dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse... $2888 plus a $94 doc fee and then tax and tags. No other fees. My OTD is $3203. Apparently it had been sitting on his floor for a long time, and the owner was itching to move it. The owner genuinely seemed stoked that I was interested in the bike too. He said he had wanted to hear it run since the day they un-crated it.

To put this price in perspective, the other bike on my immediate radar was the CSC SG250 San Gabriel. The SG250 is $2499 (delivered) + tax and tags. For a ~$500 price difference, the Buccaneer was just a no-brainer over the physically smaller and significantly slower CSC. Plus I don't have to wait in line at the DMV. (A small benefit, but a benefit nonetheless!)

Parts seem very reasonable. Replacement tires are $72 for the front and $99 for the rear (only the OEM Chinese tires have the dual sport pattern), and they're in-stock items in the warehouse. The non-cafe seat (for two-up riding) is $101 and is also sitting in a warehouse in California. That's a steal, especially considering that the replacement seat for the Buccaneer costs less than the aftermarket COVER I bought for my 2017 Yamaha SCR950.

The only things I am concerned about are the non-adjustable brake lever and the 35 watt headlight. I wonder if any of the pitbikes have adjustable levers that will swap over.

Anyhow, I'm quite stoked!

Charles.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #38

Charles,

Congratulations! I hope you'll like it as much as I like mine!

You got a great deal at that price (but I think the dealer still made money).

Do you have access to an official price list for parts? I'd be very interested in obtaining that.

Finally, I have a few observations about maintenance that I will post when I get time to collect them.

Enjoy the ride!!

Buccaneer

Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Well, there's apparently liquid bar snake as well. That might work nicely. Fills the entire handlebar with a very dense liquid, that hardens into a dense rubber-like compound. That might be the ticket for the SSR. I hate to add a lot of weight though...
I pulled off my bar end weight and found I was wrong. It appears it mounts with the usual split rubber plug. The threaded nut was just too far in to be reached with a shorter screw. I used a stack of 2 or 3 one-inch fender washers to space the weights out enough for a good fit to lips of the rubber handgrips.

So you could use a bar snake. If you do, please report how it works. The bar end weights work very well, but not perfectly, since there is residual vibration in the right grip. If a bar snake works well, I might just add that too.

I also weighed the two items. The Buccaneer OEM weights are 6 oz. each, and the Guzzi ones are 14 oz. Quite a difference.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #40

Well, if you replace the rubber mounts with a slug of steel split at an angle, like these:

But make them out of steel, and make them as long as possible, you'd also add weight inside the handlebars.

Charles.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:48 AM   #41

Following the gov't shutdown, the EPA just added some bikes to both their 2019 'on-highway' motorcycle EPA/DOT certification list and their off-road list. The Buccaneer is re-certified for 2019. Thought you might like to know, although it is no guarantee they will actually bring in bikes as I have seen some bikes get certified and never arrive, but it is a good sign.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
...The Buccaneer is re-certified for 2019. Thought you might like to know, although it is no guarantee they will actually bring in bikes as I have seen some bikes get certified and never arrive, but it is a good sign.
Thanks, Culcune.

SSR also put on a press event for the apparently unchanged "2019" Buccaneer last fall, another good sign that they are back for this year. This has resulted in two or three new reviews, at least so far. It looks like SSR is still trying.

Buccaneer

Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #43

With you on here posting positive things, a few youtube videos, and people like ChopperCharles getting one, there will be more people jumping on board keeping interest in the bike. I am a little disappointed in them with the XF250 dual sport as it seems like they are no where to be found, in spite of seeing the XF recertified on the EPA/DOT list as well.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #44

I don't know that me getting one is going to make a lot of difference, but I do intend on reviewing it very thoroughly and posting my opinions. Hopefully I'll have nothing but good experiences.

Charles.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #45

People here on Chinariders tend to wait and see whether or not other people have certain bikes, and their experiences with the bikes. Once a few own them (Guinea pigs), others follow. That is how Chinariders has worked for years and years. Heck, I am now starting to consider this bike!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150