Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #31

Bump. Jos, did you ever get the title to the bike? I remember what a crazy time it was for me in GA, but it all worked out in the end.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 02-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #32

Sorry to say I do not have the title. Have called my local tag office twice (which was closed for a couple of weeks) and was told to wait til after the 18th of this month and check back. Went to the state sight and it said still being reviewed / pending. I'm trying to be upbeat, and hope for the best.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #33

I think your DMV office is loath to call downtown.(ATL) The crew in ATL seems to not print titles for bikes that have little known names. They are not in the 'database', and it takes nudging them. My local(Cherokee) was helpful when I reported no title after a month in one case, and not sure on the other. They said they'd call, and within a week
the blue envelope showed in the mail. Your DMV does not want to bother.(apparently) Or their manager decided 'we will not waste time yapping with ATL' on onsies-twosies.... Your title is just one. I'd wait to their deadline, and report back, betting that you won't see a thing until they get off their hands...
tom

Old 02-10-2021, 10:55 AM   #34

Fingers crossed it all works out for you, Jos. If I ever go back to Georgia (or just move in general), I’m a little nervous that they won’t turn the title over to whatever state I wind up in. Some states can be kind of sticky when it comes to out of state titles.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 02-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #35

Emerikol, the title is yours. You pay for its issuance when you pay all the fees.

If you have taken a loan out using the bike as collateral, there will be a 'lien' disclosed on the title, listing the payee and the amount. That 'lien' is as portable as the piece of paper the title is issued upon. Even with a lien, you should have a title in your possession. Some loan companies will let you take a 'title loan', where you surrender your title to them in exchange for the loan. You still own it, but you do not have access to the title to transfer ownership. In that case you can't change state location and re-title in another state until you have paid the title loan company, and obtained possession of your title.
When you move, the general rules are to present title, current registration, and possibly current license plates to the new state DMV or equivalent. They may need you to have a sworn LEO to verify that the VIN on the title matches the VIN stamped/engraved/stickered on the bike. They may also inspect for validity of registration, such as in NHTSA FMVSS compliance, along with EPA compliance, depending on how 'federal' they lean. Maybe the NHTSA can be stricken from the previous, but they may enforce some compliance and attest on a form submitted to the DMV by the owner when applying for title transfer.
Some states are a lot more lenient about titles, especially motor bikes. Here in GA, scooters cannot be titled, and they are not licensed, and are generally transferred on a bill of sale.
tom

Old 02-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #36

Tom, I have the title in hand, but I transferred it over to an Arizona title when I moved out here from Carrollton. I fought like hell to get the title in GA when I first got the bike. My concern is that if we ever move from Arizona to somewhere else, or even back to Georgia, they may not like it so much and will give me a hard time again. Honestly, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 02-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #37

As far as I know, titles from other states are respected by the receiving state. To do otherwise would be to act in restraint of trade between states, and that's not allowed.
California has some rules about non-CA emissions vehicles being imported from other states, they sort of allow it, but restrict the resale of the vehicle. IOW, if you bring in a non-conforming vehicle, it may not be resold within the state. They do recognize the other state issued title, but place a restriction on the CA title they issue, indicating it cannot be resold within CA.
Here in GA, vehicles past a certain age are not issued a title always. You can ask for and pay for one, but it is not required.
You should have no problem re-titling if you move. Once it has a title, it is generally not looked at too closely for FMVSS and EPA compliance. CA may be the exception, along with NY (and several other states) which follows CA emissions practices.
I have had dealings with the C.A.R.B - CA Air Resources Board - and they are very particular about how things are done. They will certify after-market catalytic converters to be installed in place of failed units, but the makers have to pay a big chunk to get them certified, so generally replacements are limited to OEM. A set of headers can't be installed and pass inspection without a CARB certification. Cars are junked or exported where the cost of replacement converters makes it too costly. Ugh.
tom
tom