Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Importing a Vehicle (Chinese Motorcycle) Into Canada

The following is based on my experience Importing A Huansong Viva VX200SX from California U.S.A. into Ottawa CANADA using a transport company (CSA Transportation) to ship the freight:

-First make sure the bike can be found on this list http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...pcl/search.asp
Make sure you have the exact manufacturer name if your using manufacturer- this is what I did using (Chongqing Huansong ) as the manufacturers name

-If the name shows it is admissable, remember any vehicle not originally manufactured for use in Canada or the USA can not be imported into Canada

-from what I understand if it is a restricted use motorcycle which most Chinese bikes will show on this list it must be affixed with off-road use only labels at time of importation also if it has a title it must be shipped with the bike or US Customs will not allow it to leave (must give US customs 72 hours notice prior to exportation), if you plan on registering for street use make sure it has a fmvss or cmvss label affixed as well

-you will need a recall clearance letter (visit here for more info)
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html
I purchased from a dealer who could easily make a recall clearance letter for the bike printed on Huansong letterhead

As far as I know if your bringing the bike across yourself you can probably save money but make sure you have a bill of sale registration if any, a title, recall clearance letter, the reason is that at the canadian border a vehicle inspection form 1 will be issued at this time border fees are paid as well as a $198.00 payment to The registrar of imported vehicles....this part is tricky I went with a broker, I had to pay them but I didnt get hassled at the border, its the safest bet to get a customs broker.

-when the bike comes to you you will be mailed a list from riv telling you what needs to be done to your bike in order to get it fit for use in Canada
Chinese bikes come with assembly required most times so there will be work needed, you have 45 days from the time it is inspected at the border to get the bike fixed up and then bring it to Canadian Tire for final inspection...once approved they will stamp your form 1 and you can take the paper work in for registration

-My bike was purchased new, a used bike might be more difficult to bring across because you need recall clearance and labels have to be there plus make sure it has a speedometer in KMPH otherwise it will have to be replaced without damge to odometer if this is even possible.
If its a restricted use motorcycle and you intend to only ride off-road this should not apply-any restricted-use motorcycle is admissable into Canada.

*My bike is supposed to arrive tomorrow or next day so I can fill you in more later, I might have missed some points but I think I got MOST of it, if you have any questions I might be able to help

Keep in mind any restricted-use motorcycle can be imported as a restricted-use motorcycle into Canada (most china bikes, Lifan, Shineray etc...), it is eligible to be worked on for road use if it has an fmvss or cmvss label affixed (most Chinese bikes should) :wink:

Old 04-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

When they went from imperial road signs to metric ,everybody just put stickers on the speedo in km ,at least on our cars .It should still be legal and work fine but the odometer would of course be wrong .

Old 04-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

importing

Hello.... if the bike is off road... there is not much needed... the biggest part is IS THE BIKE ALLOWED IN CANADA.. I import stuff from USA..( CARS ) AND ATVS from China.. once it is found that the manufacture is allowed and this unit is allowed in... then things are about all good... the speedo stuff does not matter is it is off road... for on road... you need more.... the speedo... kmp / mph the tires for ON ROAD have to be DOT APPROVED.. the person at CTC or inspection centre will catch it... also DAYTIME LIGHTS... the main thing if it allowed for on road into CANADA most stuff has been approved.. I have gotten off road bike licensed for on road.. because in SASKATCHEWAN ( maybe others as well ) you can put lights , signals , mirrors . speedo and dot tires on and call it HOME BUILT..... they just class it to the nearest thing that it looks like.... in my case a HONDA STREET BIKE.... I put on HONDA STICKERS instead of the ZSTAR NAME STICKERS... so no one will think any diff... and the serial number on the motor and frame is what the registion says it is... in case you get pulled over and they check.. like it says NEW BIKES IS EASY... no recall letter.. ( a dealer can give you it.).. used bike... more problems.. clear title , recall letter.. no modifcations allowed.. has to be factory equipped... and you have to check in at the USA CUSTOMS before you go to the CDN customs ,.. they have all the papers that you sent there... tell them that you are taking this out if the USA...