Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

weird problem

alright lads, today i went work and noticed my indicators wasnt coming on when i asked them too, i flicked the switch left and right and nothing, anyway on the way back from work i noticed that they only worked when i stopped :?: , ok.. , ive never come across a problem like it before, my battery is charged and ive got no loose wires and it doesnt make a difference which way my handle bars are so i can rule of switch gear wire fault, its only when i come to a COMPLETE stop they come back on, they work if i stop turn them on and drive but if i turn them off and try them again when driving they wont come on untill i stop, any one heard out like it before??

Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

That's a new one. I'm guessing a bad ground.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

Re: weird problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennell
i come to a COMPLETE stop they come back on, they work if i stop turn them on and drive but if i turn them off and try them again when driving they wont come on untill i stop, any one heard out like it before??
What bike do you have?
While moving at a good clip, pull in the clutch and let the engine go to idle with the signal on...does it work then?
When stopped, is the brake light on when they are working?
I'm thinking a bad ground or crossed wire somewhere.
Could be voltage related if the 1st experiment works.
No real ideas, never saw that, ever...
Bill R

Old 10-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #4

My theory is the ground is lost as others have said. The blinkers are borrowing a ground path when the brake circuit is energised. Not a clue exactly where to start looking though.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #5

its mind boggaling, all my other lights are fine and this problem just occured over night it seems, im stipping it down as we speak so hopefuly will figure this one out, ill post asap if i find a cure, cheers lads

Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
its mind boggaling, all my other lights are fine and this problem just occured over night it seems, im stipping it down as we speak so hopefuly will figure this one out, ill post asap if i find a cure, cheers lads
when it comes to electrical problems, best thing to do is to well ask, and then go and check every single ground wire, if those are good and by good i mean the bolt is tight, the connecter has a clean side, and the frame/motor where the connecter is bolt to it is clean. then start looking at every single stupid little wire. trace them all to where they start and stop.

electrical problems are nightmares, and a huge PITA to deal with. but most times ive had electrical problems, its the stupidest smallest problem. i had one on my old mustang that a few strands of wires got pulled out of the connection and under acceleration when the motor would move the wires would hit the body and cause a weird issue..

Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #7

Re: weird problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
i come to a COMPLETE stop they come back on, they work if i stop turn them on and drive but if i turn them off and try them again when driving they wont come on untill i stop, any one heard out like it before??
What bike do you have?
While moving at a good clip, pull in the clutch and let the engine go to idle with the signal on...does it work then?
When stopped, is the brake light on when they are working?
I'm thinking a bad ground or crossed wire somewhere.
Could be voltage related if the 1st experiment works.
No real ideas, never saw that, ever...
Bill R
bennell,
It would be nice if you answered BillR's questions.
Thanks,

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

i checked all the wires i could possibly find and everything was as it should be, i tried a different rely and replaced bulbs but nothing, i did find that when my bike sits on idle then i rev it with the indictors on SOMETIMES they wont flash for 2-3 seconds untill the rev's drop back to idle speed so my guess is my stator and that its struggling to somewhat produce a steady flow of electricity BUT its not effecting my headlight,side light or brake lights which all work fine even when my idicators die, im really confused on this, im going to buy led flashers and a relay and see what happends then, p.s all my grounds are fine and ive scratched the lead blocks on the battery just in case

to billR: My bikes a sinnis apache aka qingqi 125 supermoto, yes when driving any speed if i pull my clutch in with the signals on they WILL come on when my revs drop to idle, my brake light works absolutely fine even when my indicators arnt, ive checked my grounds and cant find any bad ones any ideas?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #9

bennell,
Do you have a volt meter that you can put on the battery terminals?

Try turning the turn signals on and measuring the voltage at idle and the voltage when you rev the engine and the turn signals stop working.

The above test will see if a big voltage drop or big voltage gain is occurring when you rev the engine.

You should read about 12.5 volts at idle and about 14 volts at higher rpm if the stator, regulator,etc is working correctly.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
to billR: My bikes a sinnis apache aka qingqi 125 supermoto, yes when driving any speed if i pull my clutch in with the signals on they WILL come on when my revs drop to idle, my brake light works absolutely fine even when my indicators arnt, ive checked my grounds and cant find any bad ones any ideas?
Thanks for the info.
You have a similar problem to one I was seeing on my headlight.
My GY-200 had the headlight wired directly to the stator output for some strange reason. Whenever the battery took a full charge and the rectifier started dumping volts, the headlight dimmed. Put a load on the battery, bright headlight???
Never did sort it out, just hooked the light directly to the battery and all was good.
Trace the wires from the blinker relay and see where they hook up into the harness. Is there a point where you can unplug them and hook a direct feed to the battery? If so, do that and see if the problem resolves.

Also, check the voltage at the battery with the bike idling and at about 3-4k rpm. You should see around 13-14 volts, much lower or higher, then you start thinking bad stator.
Welcome to the world of "electrical gremlins" :twisted:
Good luck and keep us posted.
Bill R

Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
You have a similar problem to one I was seeing on my headlight.
My GY-200 had the headlight wired directly to the stator output for some strange reason. Whenever the battery took a full charge and the rectifier started dumping volts, the headlight dimmed. Put a load on the battery, bright headlight???
i think this is my issue then due to the fact they only work on idle when theres less power being made at the stator, then as soon as i start creating more power by lifting the rpms the rec starts dumping the volts, ill see if the problem sorts it self by running my battery low by keeping the headlight on for 1-2hours if not ill trace the cables like you said

cheers for the help guys, ill keep you posted

Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #12

i tried the headlight trick and it worked, i drained my battery as much as i could last night and tested it this morning but it still didnt fix it but as soon as i stuck my headlight on the indicators worked spot on? weird one. ill buy a new rectifier and relay see if it sorts it out for once and all,

thanks pal

Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
i tried the headlight trick and it worked, i drained my battery as much as i could last night and tested it this morning but it still didnt fix it but as soon as i stuck my headlight on the indicators worked spot on? weird one. ill buy a new rectifier and relay see if it sorts it out for once and all,
thanks pal
I'd still check the stator output to make sure it's OK.
I made the switch of both parts on mine and still had the issue (because of the wiring, which I found after the fact :? ).
It may be cheaper and simpler to just run a direct feed from the battery to the flasher unit.
Bill R

Old 10-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
thanks pal
I'd still check the stator output to make sure it's OK.
I made the switch of both parts on mine and still had the issue (because of the wiring, which I found after the fact :? ).
It may be cheaper and simpler to just run a direct feed from the battery to the flasher unit.
Bill R
hello again billR, after the indicators started working with my headlight on now theve started not working again :? i really dont understand the problem, im yet to check my stator output because i havnt got a volt meter, what else can you suggest pal,

cheers

Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #15

Quote:
hello again billR, after the indicators started working with my headlight on now theve started not working again :? i really dont understand the problem, im yet to check my stator output because i havnt got a volt meter, what else can you suggest pal,
cheers
Sorry for the late reply, been out of town and out of "internet" while we moved back into our house after a rebuild...
Without knowing what the voltage is...it sounds like something in the signal circuit is getting high voltage from the stator. Maybe causing the flasher to stop working.
Can you find the wire feeding voltage to the signal flasher?
If so, unplug that from the harness, if possible and run a jumper from the battery positive terminal to the flasher.
Go for a ride and see if you have the problem.
If that can't be done, take the flasher relay out and see if you can find a replacement. Maybe something wrong in that piece.
I'd be at the same point if it was mine. Electrical problems are headaches.
Good Luck
Bill R