Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

TBR7 upgrades and problems

Just wanted to touch bases on my TBR7. First off i live at 600ft and am riding @ 6000- 8000 ft so pretty high. Bike shows 480 miles but the odometer over reads big time and it's a lot closer to KM so i would say closer to 300 miles.

I've been riding on the bone stock carb up until now and even at these elevations she is running lean, actually runs crisper and idles better at 8000 ft.

So i pulled my mikuni (clone?) apart and changed the main jet from the factory 100 to a 105 as a guy i met a while back had told me that was what he was running on his hawk in this area ( also got me looking at these china bikes). pilot jet was a #20 and air screw was out 1 1/4 turns stock. i left the needle clip in the center position and took off my original carb and fitted the VM26.

I turned out the air fuel screw another 1/4 turn for a good idle ( now @1 1/2 turns) .

Bike is running much better and smoother . So if this helps when i rode from my house up to the town of Pinos Altos its a 6 mile run with an elevation gain of 1000 ft. With the stock carb i could barely do the speed limit (45 and 50) and the last stretch is very steep ( maybe 8% ?) at which time i'm down to 4 th gear and can barely hold 35.

After carb change it just cruises up the hill at posted speed limits with throttle to spare and the last stretch 40 mph in 5th but opening the throttle all the way does not change the speed.

Right, yesterday i changed out the main jet to a 108 and the bike is better, speed limit no problem and the last stretch 45 mph and when i opened the throttle the bike started to accelerate( be it slowly). i'm going to call this good for now.

Info to consider:
gearing change from 15/46 to 17/46.
Bone stock intake system and filter.
Bone stock exhast including cat and muffler.
TBR's come with more street type tires than hawks.(17r/19f).

So problems so far, Speedo is not accurate and odo is closer to km than miles.

I've been riding on some really rocky and rough terrain and the bike is pretty tough in my opinion and i think the 17/19 rim combo makes them more durable than the hawks (shorter spokes ?). But i have now blown the factory rear shock, it is now a spring on a stick with zero damping.

I weigh 180 so with my gear on i'll say 200 ready to ride. I'm not moto-xing or jumping but certainly carrying some speed over rough terrain to keep up momentum for some of the very steep washed out trails i'm riding on.

I've lost the high beam on the headlight bulb (still have low beam) and my back running light is dead but i still have the rear brake light. I was going to upgrade to led's anyway.

Fuel cap leaks out the top when tank is full so i'll see if i can do something about that.

Will remove the rear shock assy to see how long it is and get a replacement.

So some pictures and video. Coming up.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

Some pictures and video with me and my dog , this is his very first ride and he loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me and onni bike2_HDR.jpg (106.6 KB, 2032 views)

Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #3

video My dog learns to ride

Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Bashan bikes have that leaking gas cap problem. A member here has a Bashan Storm 250 that leaked so he cut the bottom off of the gas cap. He showed cutting it off just below the two locking ears. He has a thread on here about doing it. His name is dossbag his thread is called leaky gas cap fix.
Thanks jeffrey i will look it up.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 PM   #6

Hey Paul, I have the same bike (as of April) running bone stock carb and 15 tooth front sproc.

Did I understand you correctly in that you swapped carbs to a mik clone or are you saying you changed the jetting on the stock carb?

I'm thinking of ordering the carb kit from ebay

Mike

Old 06-01-2019, 12:50 AM   #7

There’s very little difference between stock “correctly” tuned carb or “mikuni clone” correctly tuned.

For the money of a mikuni and jets you’re well on the way to a pumper carb and first tune kit- just my thoughts and yes somewhat bias as I do sell both pumper n first tune sets.
Main thing is to consider and judge measured results.
The thing is there are no numbers to compare so really no facts as to which is better a stock well tuned carb, a mikuni clone with genuine jets or a pumper carb etc
Everyone likes there choices but what measure or facts do we base it from?

Just being as fair as I can and saying regardless what option you choose over another and done correctly everyone is happy but some spend more then others getting there.

I’m in CT USA next week and I’ll bring some stock with me cause I can’t send from China while I’m in the USA lol.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
There’s very little difference between stock “correctly” tuned carb or “mikuni clone” correctly tuned.

For the money of a mikuni and jets you’re well on the way to a pumper carb and first tune kit- just my thoughts and yes somewhat bias as I do sell both pumper n first tune sets.
Main thing is to consider and judge measured results.
The thing is there are no numbers to compare so really no facts as to which is better a stock well tuned carb, a mikuni clone with genuine jets or a pumper carb etc

Just being as fair as I can and saying regardless what option you choose over another and done correctly everyone is happy but some spend more then others getting there.

I’m in CT USA next week and I’ll bring some stock with me cause I can’t send from China while I’m in the USA lol.
There is no sellers bias here. The pumper carb is the only true "upgrade" in terms of any real measurable performance benefit. I wish I had a one stop shop when I bought mine., and I will recommend it over the mikuni for that reason.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-01-2019, 03:19 AM   #9

My thinking is use first tune kit learn stuff about carbs
Then you can upgrade later to a pumper carbs first tune kit relates etc
That is my thoughts n part supply resining and I don’t want to bother offering a mikuni for that reason
There’s my thoughts n the ppl can choose etc all in my eBay store etc
Welcome to suggest what should be in the set but I’m pretty sure I have it pretty right

Old 06-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Hey Paul, I have the same bike (as of April) running bone stock carb and 15 tooth front sproc.

Did I understand you correctly in that you swapped carbs to a mik clone or are you saying you changed the jetting on the stock carb?

I'm thinking of ordering the carb kit from ebay

Mike
Hi Mike , i took off the stock carb and i have never even opened it up. I left it like that so if ever i have problems i can bolt it back on as a reference point. i bought a VM26 replacement plus jets(total under $50) to tinker with and after reading many posts about these carbs with some having #20 pilot jets and some #40 pilot jets i wanted to open mine up to see what it had.

It is most certainly a worthwhile change IMHO, It seems the factory main jet in the stock carb is a #88 which is very very small. Part of the reason i could run the stock carb is the elevation at which i live (6000 ft) so it probably is only a good reference point for people living in colorado etc but i wanted to put it out there anyway.

If you live at lower elevation then the change ( of carb ) must be worthwhile.

I'm not trying to say my bike is like a rocket ship now but the change is very noticable .

Paul

Old 06-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Hi Mike , i took off the stock carb and i have never even opened it up. I left it like that so if ever i have problems i can bolt it back on as a reference point. i bought a VM26 replacement plus jets(total under $50) to tinker with and after reading many posts about these carbs with some having #20 pilot jets and some #40 pilot jets i wanted to open mine up to see what it had.

It is most certainly a worthwhile change IMHO, It seems the factory main jet in the stock carb is a #88 which is very very small. Part of the reason i could run the stock carb is the elevation at which i live (6000 ft) so it probably is only a good reference point for people living in colorado etc but i wanted to put it out there anyway.

If you live at lower elevation then the change ( of carb ) must be worthwhile.

I'm not trying to say my bike is like a rocket ship now but the change is very noticable .

Paul
The stock carb is as tunable as the mikuni - just a little effort needed to open the 3 screw and brass plug covering the adj mix screw

Old 06-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
The stock carb is as tunable as the mikuni - just a little effort needed to open the 3 screw and brass plug covering the adj mix screw
I agree with you 100%. in my case i probably just needed a bigger main jet and possibly a needle shim . I was just lazy to cut slots in the stock float bowl and drill out the plug for the air mixture screw. However doing it this way if things did not go according to plan with the stock carb your bike might be down until you can figure it out . Mine was a swap and go.

Also about the pumper carb, I believe Megadan is on his game about it being the best choice and it is good to know how to get the best out of these little bikes. I ,for the moment , just wanted it to run a little better than with the stock carb, but at the same time did not want to mess with the original carb.

I'm sure as time goes on i will probably follow what megadan and jerry have done to their bikes , porting , compression increase, pumper carb and better intake and exhaust etc. Truth is without guys like them how many would try to improve their rides?

I also appreciate people like you for keeping your finger on the pulse so to speak and put together viable replacement part options. Some of the stuff you have seen where you live will probably boggle my mind .

Old 06-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
I agree with you 100%. in my case i probably just needed a bigger main jet and possibly a needle shim . I was just lazy to cut slots in the stock float bowl and drill out the plug for the air mixture screw. However doing it this way if things did not go according to plan with the stock carb your bike might be down until you can figure it out . Mine was a swap and go.

Also about the pumper carb, I believe Megadan is on his game about it being the best choice and it is good to know how to get the best out of these little bikes. I ,for the moment , just wanted it to run a little better than with the stock carb, but at the same time did not want to mess with the original carb.

I'm sure as time goes on i will probably follow what megadan and jerry have done to their bikes , porting , compression increase, pumper carb and better intake and exhaust etc. Truth is without guys like them how many would try to improve their rides?

I also appreciate people like you for keeping your finger on the pulse so to speak and put together viable replacement part options. Some of the stuff you have seen where you live will probably boggle my mind .
Did you see my set? All bits to tune stock carb? Basic starting point add 105 main and use 1 slot below center
Not much more then a whole new carb in effirt

Old 06-02-2019, 04:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Did you see my set? All bits to tune stock carb? Basic starting point add 105 main and use 1 slot below center
Not much more then a whole new carb in effirt
You are trying to change the mind of a person that already has the Mikuni. Why would he then go backwards and buy a bunch of parts for the sealed carb that he already admitted that he didn't feel like messing with when he already has a viable option that can be tuned with ease with a bunch of examples and experience already on here for it?

While I am at it, let's revisit this...

Quote:

What measure or facts do we base it from? First hand accounts and experiences from several members here that have tuned and ran both carbs who have repeatedly expressed as such? Even if there is no performance gain, per se, the ease of tuning and minor difference in responsiveness are both things that more than one person has stated at different times in different threads, myself included. The fact that the jets the Mikuni clones use are very easy to buy even locally in most places because they are fairly common. These are all things stated before, more than once.

Some do spend more than others to get there. If they can afford to and it is what they want to do, what do you care? It's their money to spend how they please. I spend more than most entirely because, 1 - I can, and 2 - like others here, I document my successes, failures, opinions, and facts so that others can do the upgrades with more knowledge and thus confidence. That is the point of a community, to help benefit all. I have benefited from others just as much as others have benefited from me. You do offer something that can greatly help people that may be on a tighter budget or just don't want to spend a ton of money. There is a difference between giving people options, and beating people over the head with it - like pushing said jet kit to a person that already has a different carb.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-02-2019, 05:17 AM   #15

Info sticks around - not about selling etc.

Free to choose and good to have info and opinions that show all options.

Yes you have the experience I don't that Ok no drama etc.

Inform ones self or not is ones own choice but let the info be fairly correct to choose from.

Good Magdan that's the spirit etc