Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Quad Advise

Hi guys. I've had 4 CB's now but never a China quad and I have some questions for the experts here.

Mrs. 2LZ and I acquired a house on about 3 acres a couple years ago. Both the house needed a lot of help and the land had been neglected for literally decades, if not longer. Half the property is flat, half is hill that rolls off behind the house...some fairly steep but my little tractor with lug tires can still navigate it.

When we're out cutting and clearing, we pull one cart with the little tractor (haul stuff to the burn pile) and I'd like to get a ranch-type quad to tow our second cart and run drinks etc..up and down the hill. I've been looking on CR for a used Japanese 4X4 quad but man....they want a MINT for 12 year old stuff that's been left out in the weather for a decade....I started thinking China quad as I've had good luck with my CB's and I have the proper sense of humor and mechanical ability to handle any issues.

Now that you know the scenario, here's my questions:

1- I've been looking at that 150cc ranch quad that's so popular that's sold under many names. It's got the GY6 motor and CV belt trans like a scooter. Do you think the GY6 motor is durable enough and would it have enough power to pull a cart up a hill full of branches and small limbs?...and be able to survive? I don't know much about the GY6 durability.

2- Should I go to the Hondanoid pushrod motor 200 or 230cc unit with a manual clutch instead?

3- Last I was around here, anything larger than a 250 and/or water-cooled was to be avoided like the plague. (Doc's Pitster Pro 400cc experience comes to mind). There are many new, larger displacement 4X4 quads available on the market now that are liquid cooled and far less expensive than their Japanese counterparts, though expensive for a CB. Anyone have one?...and if so, are they any good and worth the extra cost?

4- Should I just hold out looking for that stellar used Japanese ranch quad deal on CR?

I'm really fearing that a 4X2 quad MAY NOT do the trick on my hill towing the cart....any opinions on that?

Thanks for all of your input in advance! :-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350