Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Update: Even though the speedo cable broke around 95 miles, I've been diligently riding the same 30 mile "mixed" loop every evening to put miles on the TT and get it broke in, so I figured that it's got about 200+ on it now.

I'm noticing that it's really starting to loosen up quite a bit now. The mid-range is sticking around longer as the motor gets hot and it's pulling longer, farther, up the same long hills. I'm still doing my best not to push too hard above 5000. Fortunately, it produces some good grunt between 5-6. The little tach I installed has become invaluable.

For most of the ride, neutrals are findable but by the time I get home and it's good and searing hot, not so much, but it's getting better daily. I'm running 15/40 oil in it currently for break-in.

I know there's been comments here about the tires but for the dirt, gravel, and twisties I'm riding, these things are perfect for these surfaces. In the canyon, I can toss it completely over without worry. The stock tires grip great....though they do have a bizarre hum.

The last two days, I kept hearing this rattle, on longer up-hills when the motor was really pulling. I kept looking down and listening, wondering if it was the air pump valve opening under load or some motor rattle when it was scorching hot, etc...but couldn't locate it. I wasn't too worried, warranty, right? I also noticed about 3/4 of the way through my ride last night, the rattle vanished. Well, I got home and I found half the license plate frame gone. Found the rattle! ;-)

So far, I'm really enjoying this bike. The seat is super comfortable, the handling and cornering, even in the tight stuff, is smooth and predictable and the bike seems very solid under me.

Once it's broke in, mods will be a pipe, probably a Mikuni and also, it needs a smaller rear sprocket once it's developing some more power. You get to 5th gear awfully quickly. It needs some longer legs.
My experience has been very similar, really breaking in nicely at 175KM getting much easier to climb hills and hit higher cruising speeds. Already have my exhaust, main jets, and iridium spark plug. Will probably put these on when I get to around 400-500 KM

Old 07-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #1217

Damn....just ordered the exhaust two weeks ahead of schedule. Bad 2LZ....

Has anyone done a cross reference for different rear sprockets yet?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #1218

Similar results for me as well. Have had it off road on some NF trails at stock jetting at some pretty high altitudes. The stock tires have worked really well on the street, on rocky trails, and hard packed dirt road. Can't speak to sand or mud. Hit a little snow at 11,000 ft at one point. No rattles or missing bolts, parts, etc. Speedo cable is still entact for the moment. My speedo is indicating slow compared to actual GPS speeds by 10%. Currently at ~650km/~400 miles. Currently playing with main jets, needle clip for my elevation to find the best results. Just installed an iridium spark plug last night. Very interested to see how exhaust mods will pan out. I'll be getting a 15T counter sprocket at some point for trail/off road use.

Rojo

Old 07-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Similar results for me as well. Have had it off road on some NF trails at stock jetting at some pretty high altitudes. The stock tires have worked really well on the street, on rocky trails, and hard packed dirt road. Can't speak to sand or mud. Hit a little snow at 11,000 ft at one point. No rattles or missing bolts, parts, etc. Speedo cable is still entact for the moment. My speedo is indicating slow compared to actual GPS speeds by 10%. Currently at ~650km/~400 miles. Currently playing with main jets, needle clip for my elevation to find the best results. Just installed an iridium spark plug last night. Very interested to see how exhaust mods will pan out. I'll be getting a 15T counter sprocket at some point for trail/off road use.

Rojo
Awesome. Ya know, riding is a lot of fun but playing with these things is just as fun. I'm glad the Chinese made something that still gives us the ability to tinker and wrench for cheap. Kinda like the good ol' days..............

Your elevations put a whole new twist on what we "average air" guys are doing. I'll be curious to see how you finally end up.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
64 MPG over my first full tank. 211 miles, 3.28 gallons. Speeds at 5000 rpm in gear: 9,18,27,36,45.
Per my experience, After break in when you are holding 5th gear high speed for long terms you will see mpg drop to 45mpg.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Awesome. Ya know, riding is a lot of fun but playing with these things is just as fun. I'm glad the Chinese made something that still gives us the ability to tinker and wrench for cheap. Kinda like the good ol' days..............
I agree, it is fun! I've never been into this kind of thing before, but I think I caught the bug . . . or joined the cult, or something.

I just wish someone in the USA could make them.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #1222

Once I get some minor stuff nailed down, I can tell this bike is going to be tons of fun!!

I read of some people saying they had issues with the brakes, but so far mine have been just fine (knock on wood). I noticed when I rode it the day before yesterday that it was starting to loosen up and have more power.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #1223

On Saturday and Sunday I have a muffler and a pair of aluminum tusk hand guards and a new fuel line and fillter to install

man I just love this bike I have had zero problems so far and that is why I have invested in the mods I have got

I think this bike is worth the extra money if it hade 20 hp it would rock hard

Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #1224

My brakes pulsate as I come to a stop. Don't feel like I abused them during breakin.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #1225

Quote:
My brakes pulsate as I come to a stop. Don't feel like I abused them during breakin.
How many miles do you have and have you done any hard brakes

Front or back brakes?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #1226

Quote:
Perhaps you should abuse them a bit! Hah, but seriously, a standard method for bedding in new brakes is to use them hard a few times (slowing all the way down from road speed fairly rapidly) then letting them cool for several minutes, then repeating those two steps several times. This forces the pads and rotors to conform if there are any irregularities.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
Perhaps you should abuse them a bit! Hah, but seriously, a standard method for bedding in new brakes is to use them hard a few times (slowing all the way down from road speed fairly rapidly) then letting them cool for several minutes, then repeating those two steps several times. This forces the pads and rotors to conform if there are any irregularities.
Practice emergency stops?

2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjester View Post
Practice emergency stops?
Yeah, basically. From what I understand (limited though it may be), as you apply more force than is necessary, you'll wear the pads down to match the rotor's irregularities, and repeating this several times essentially condenses the process from something that would take lots of miles of normal braking to something easier to manage, leaving you with better brakes in case of emergency.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #1229

250 miles now. Front brakes.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #1230

Quote:
Check out the link on the RX3 forum regarding front brakes. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17018

RX3 were having issues with pulsing front brakes. We had some minor pulsing on our RX3 which are pretty much gone now after some good bedding in and mileage. The culprit for the most part turned out to be improperly torqued front rotors. The simple fix was to remove the rotor, and re-installing by tightening in a criss-cross pattern and torquing to spec. In a few instances the rotor did vary in thickness causing the pulsing in which case CSC shipped out new rotors.

Rojo