Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #1726

Yep, it was 14 teeth
Here is a pic so you can see the set up.
Shows my side stand too.

Originally before I cut it off there was a 1 inch, non threaded portion that was part of the pivot bolt. The kidney shaped bit of pressed steel was the other way around (dished side towards the bike) .The indent part on its side making contact with this non threaded bit of the bolt but on the right hand side when the stand was down.
I probably could have just turned the bolt around rather than cutting it. Too late now!

The arrow is pointing towards the air box intake; at the right angle you can see the sponge filter element. To the right of this is a line of 3 bolt holes where the seat attached. From there to the right under the pillion seat was a plastic panel. The Delphi unit etc. Is what you see under that.

Plenty of thread here for adjustment , above and below the end of the spring.

Battery YTZ12S-BS 12V 11ah

Old 02-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #1727

Wow, thanks katflap! There is not single thing in any of these "under the hood" photos that looks in anyway cheap.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #1728
Banned

Agreed 3 banger, WELL DONE, Zong!

Unreal $ for hp IMHOThe underseat layout is VERY unusually well thought out and done, IMHO, even vs Jap and other quality motorcycles, IMHO.
Easy to find and identify all parts (for ease of owner maintainance and servicing.) This is really starting to make me think this IS the "breakthrough" bike from China! Though Spud, and others probably think they already have them (the 200's! This bike, is currect, even cutting edge in some areas, and user friendly for mods also, unlike some other bikes.
If we get the fueling (EJK) or similar, I am pretty sure I'm going to turbo mine. Probably start with 5-6 lbs boost, no ICooler etc. Then go from there. The MPFab Yamaha Wr250 kit has proven VERY durable, and extremely powerfull, as well, on those motorcycles. The weight addition is minimal as a % of total weight, but doubling almost the tq and HP while improving fuel economy (if not boosting, of course) REALLY appeals to me. The improved atomization and air fuel mixing yields the better economy. I'm on a forum where quite a few members and 1st gen Insight owners turboed their cars, with very good results. The fuel additions were done without ANY ecu tuning, and vary from crude to non effictive, IMHO, but so far proven very reliable. The Only failure was a holed piston after over 250,000 miles (right, 1/4 million miles), and only had an additional injector that fired under boost (maybe not always, after those miles, causing lean failure)?
ANyway, I got no issue with a piston every 100,000 miles or so, and I will tune mine thoroughly, also. The Insight has not got squirters, which would most likely pulled enough heat from the piston to keep it from melting, IMHO.

MPFab does the Wrr kit. I will attempt a group buy when I get ready to do the install, and document it on here as well. Anyone interested?
Link to MPFab kit is here (for Wrr250).

http://www.mpfab.com/product/mpfab-s...amaha-wr250xr/ Cost, all up, is $2050.00, now.
Unreal cost to hp ratio..best of anything, IMHO. ALso reliable if done as recommended. A big bore kit will possibly throw off engine balancer, and has to be tuned as well, costing the same or more, for less gains, probably.
Just my 2cents...

Old 02-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #1729
Banned

Talked with Walker (Morgan) just now. Kit is a go:)!

Due to spotty sales on the (since 2008) wr250 kit, he may do a GB, maybe not, but wants to check the bike out and agreed to do one for my bike. (I've bugged him about a wr250 kit re details etc since I started looking at them a couple yrs ago).
He liked the piston squirter being on it already as well, for boost upgrade possibilities later on.
He says the turbo car parts sell better and more consistantly, why he is kinda drifting away from the motorcycles a bit. He rides a turbo wr250, though, and is interested in the RX-3 as well. I sure hope he gets REALLY liking it when he reads up on it via my link i sent him to CSC and here.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #1730

Katflap,

Thanks for posting the excellent photographs. Did you have much difficulty removing the saddle to access the air filter element?

It appears the plastic side covers are painted, and the color is not molded into the plastic. Is this correct?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #1731
Banned

Alos

Re Spud Q. Is there a latch, or do you have to unscrew the seat for access?
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
...Download - circuit diagram including EFI in English
https://mega.co.nz/#!40pADJjZ!1wOenhh9h9QCaSRghWwUlhx_MmcUInDCnSTmBts 4VQE...
Once again, thank you for posting the link to the RX3 wiring diagram. I am adding this link under the Manuals subheading of the RX3 Sticky thread, which is pinned to the top of this Dual Sport Forum.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14228

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #1733

The Zongshen RX3 will be my first motorcycle with electronic fuel injection (EFI). Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears the Delphi MT05 ECU (engine control unit) incorporates the equivalent of a DC-CDI unit, since I don't see a source/charging coil on the bike's stator. The following photograph seems to verify this conclusion.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #1734

@ 3banger --

yeah it does all seem very sturdy and of good quality , nothing shabby here !

@ SpudRider & thillskier --

In the side panel on the left hand side there is a key lock which operates a latch to release the pillion seat . you probably know this already.
you can see the cable operated latch just to the left of the 2 large allen bolts in the picture.
The pillion seat slides up and out. you can then see a bracket. This bracket is secured to 2 of 3 bolt holes that i mentioned in my earlier post that are next to the air filter box by 8mm bolts . There is like a plastic tongue on the front of the pillion seat that slides under this bracket keeping it in position.

The riders seat is removed by un screwing these 2 bracket bolts . The bolts also go through the back seat fixing .
The seat lifts up ,sliding the front plastic tongue from under a slot under the tank and away ! so all pretty easy.

spud
you have caught me out on your other questions i wasnt paying enough attention when i took the seats off .
it looked like to actually change or clean the air filter element the whole air box might have to come out as you can see in the picture there is a centre seem running vertically which might be the only way to get to the element.
regarding the side covers i agree they are not orange on the inside . however the orange covering looks very good.

I will have to get back to you on these 2 questions with hopefully better answers

To access the battery was behind a black plastic strip held by 3 screws. the strip is solid black in colour and quite flexible , unlikley to crack i think . this strip should be able to be removed with the seats on.
The orange side panels are less flexible so would probably crack at the fixings if they got a beating !

Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #1735

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Once again, thank you for posting the link to the RX3 wiring diagram. I am adding this link under the Manuals subheading of the RX3 Sticky thread, which is pinned to the top of this Dual Sport Forum.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14228
No problem Spud I will try and keep the info coming best I can .

Old 02-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #1736

Quote:
...spud

you have caught me out on your other questions i wasnt paying enough attention when i took the seats off .
it looked like to actually change or clean the air filter element the whole air box might as you can see in the picture there is a centre seem running vertically which might be the only way to get to the element.
regarding the side covers i agree they are not orange on the inside . however the orange covering looks very good...

...The orange side panels are less flexible so would probably crack at the fixings if they got a beating !
If the orange side cover is blocking access, you might need to remove the left pannier before you can remove the side cover to access the foam air filter. Zongshen has recently modified the left side cover, and split it into two parts.

As with my Zongshen ZS200GY-2, the upper side covers are probably manufactured from ABS, instead of polypropylene. Since they are painted, they will probably fade in the sunlight. I repaint the upper side covers on my Zongshen Sierra every year or two for this reason.

Please check the front fender and the rest of the plastic on your bike. All of the black plastic is probably polypropylene, which is good. The fuel tank is metal, so it won't present a problem. I'm hoping only the upper, rear side covers are manufactured from ABS.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #1737

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If the orange side cover is blocking access, you might need to remove the left pannier before you can remove the side cover to access the foam air filter. Zongshen has recently modified the left side cover, and split it into two parts.
Thanks, I will check this out and also the plastics .

Hope to find time to do this tomorrow . 11pm here now

Old 02-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #1738

Quote:
@ G19Tony -----Spanner sizes –

Rear axle21mm both sides, alignment adjusters 13mm
Front axle 19mm one side. The other side, protruding round shaft with aprox 8mm hole through the diameter held tight by 2 x 10mm fork pinch bolts.

@ jimjr21 -----

I will remember your photographic tip for the future, thanks.
It was a shame because there really was a fantastic view from there.

@ SpudRider ----
My bike came without the cush hub which would have been a nice addition .That said I’m not finding it uncomfortably snatchy

The rear sprocket seems to match the JTR 897 – 44 but no good for the cush hub version but this link shows that it’s still using a 44 tooth sprocket
http://2.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43664671492&spm=a230r.1.14.279.wdjGJj& ns=1&abbucket=8#detail
The front sprocket has 14 teeth with a flange on the inner side. It is secured to the shaft with a bolt and lock washer. The outer side has a hole to one side of the bolt where a small tongue from the lock washer fits in to. The lock washer has a tab that is bent up against one of the bolts flat edges to hold it in place. Im sure you know the sort of thing it is.
Sorry I can’t give you shaft and spline details at the moment but I want to make sure I can get a replacement lock washer before I start taking it a part.
I will re check the teeth number and get back to you because this link shows the front sprocket having 13 teeth.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-7242439086.119.ZmWXGG&id=39099439130

@ 3banger ---
Thanks for the morale booster; I will try not to make dropping the bike a regular thing.
The bike had a soft landing because I was pretty much underneath it!
But the screen broke when it hit my rubbish wheelie bin. It’s now back on the bike but looks bloody awful where I have glued it back together. A new one is on order!

@ Weldangrind -----
I will definitely take your advice on lifting the bike in the future. I’ve already got a dodgey back and shoulder from years of bad lifting!
Thanks for the spanner info, mate!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #1739

Quote:
Thanks, I will check this out and also the plastics .

Hope to find time to do this tomorrow . 11pm here now
Thank you, Katflap. Please also check the colored, plastic, lower fork guards. I suspect they also might be painted ABS, instead of polypropylene.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #1740

Quote:
Out for a quick ride today passing through Cheddar Gorge ( where Cheddar cheese first came from ). Some good bends to negotiate .The bike handled these without problem at a nice pace . No peg grinding here ! have to keep an eye out for sheep on the road.

Turns out i cant take photos for shit , they will get better !

THe arrow points to Glastonbury Tor, historic place linked to the myths of King Arthur . will take a closer look some time in the future.
I've got to say that is indeed a wicked bike, really looks good. Glasto Tor is a nice walk and the gorge must be quite fun to ride