Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belamoto View Post
Thanks Spud - appreciate that.
You're welcome.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #3197

Quote:
Does this look right to you? I suspect not. I'm sure the CSC guys would have sorted out any issues like this before shipping theirs but this RX3 came straight from the Zongshen factory.

Looks like the kick stand pivot bolt is in backwards and the spring should be hooked to the peg. Might need a longer spring, might just have to really stretch that one.

Does your bike have the kick stand safety switch? When the bolt is turned around, the switch would operate off of or connect to that bolt/pin on the pivot bolt.

You may have to keep that piece on the spring, but getting the peg out of the way so it can travel to the over center line will make the stand stay down.
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #3198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
Looks like the kick stand pivot bolt is in backwards and the spring should be hooked to the peg. Might need a longer spring, might just have to really stretch that one.

Does your bike have the kick stand safety switch? When the bolt is turned around, the switch would operate off of or connect to that bolt/pin on the pivot bolt.

You may have to keep that piece on the spring, but getting the peg out of the way so it can travel to the over center line will make the stand stay down.
Thanks Mag00 - not sure about a safety switch but will have a play around.

2015 Zongshen RX3
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Web: belamoto.nz

Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #3199

Quote:
Does this look right to you? I suspect not. I'm sure the CSC guys would have sorted out any issues like this before shipping theirs but this RX3 came straight from the Zongshen factory.

It turns out that these days in the UK if I new bike isn't fitted with a kill switch on the side stand then the side stand has to be self retracting. Maybe it's the same for you in NZ.

Spud has provided the link to my post of how I solved the problem,

but before you dig out the angle grinder to cut the bolt, try just turning the bolt around and the kidney shape metal tab that the springs are attached to.
This should do the trick

I cut my side stand bolt in a fit of anger straight after I dropped my bike because of the pesky side stand retracting

Old 04-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
It turns out that these days in the UK if I new bike isn't fitted with a kill switch on the side stand then the side stand has to be self retracting. Maybe it's the same for you in NZ.
Thanks katflap - makes sense now. We brought in an EU typed RX3 so I suspect our sidestand is a bit of a bodge to make it compliant. Will have a play around (the non-angry option) and see how that works out.

2015 Zongshen RX3
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Web: belamoto.nz

Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #3201

Howdy, been out of town for a few days, finally back and tinkering with my Cyclone....

Has anyone installed some wrap around hand guards?

I bought a set that I hoped would work, the mounts will work on the bars, the problem is, I mounted the Power Outlet Accessory kit tonight (Thanks CSC) and test fit the hand guards....the mounts will work on the tapered bars, so I "could" mount them on the bars, BUT...the brake line comes out the front of the master cylinder, and interferes with the guards...and the Hand Guards will slightly touch the dash at full lock, and would break off anything that was plugged into either of the power ports in the accessories kit....so back to square one on the guards, unless someone has found some that will work...

So, post up some pics if you have some mounted...
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #3202

hey Huck, does this mean the handguards you bought are a no go even if you didn't have the accessory kit mounted?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 AM   #3203

Can someone take photos or video from their radiator vents? I would like to see the direction they spin.

To compare them to mine.

I'm still having the problem of the righ vent heating and venting more, than the left. Getting all the right side very warm (my leg and passenger's)

I would apreciatte a lot if someone can put a video o at least tell me the direction it should spin, or flow the air from each vent.
Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #3204

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
hey Huck, does this mean the handguards you bought are a no go even if you didn't have the accessory kit mounted?
I'm pretty sure I can get them to work...might require shimming the Brake lever side up a little to clear the Brake line, and it will probably "Just" touch the outer edge of the dash at full lock...but I plan on adding 1" risers to the bars, which should avoid that.

(Pic showing where contact would be made)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (93.2 KB, 259 views)
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #3205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post

(Pic showing where contact would be made)
ah - I see what you mean - there's an awful lot of stuff going on on that right side.

I'm still hoping to hear there is a set that goes on without modification, but I'm starting to fear that I might be waiting a while to discover such a set!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #3206

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
Let me just say after a day of the real maiden voyage, i like the bike alot ,having the the same issue finding nuetral, but not a huge deal,,,,,but man if it was a 450cc ,i would be totally s.mitten!!!If zongshen /csc comes out with a 450 , Im buying it. i will look forward to some performance upgrades to this platform,cause i just really like the fit and nimbleness,and handling!
I am working on performance upgrades.
Big bore kit
valves
cams
will be testing other items as well
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
I am working on performance upgrades.
Big bore kit
valves
cams
will be testing other items as well
Have you been able to find performance parts?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #3208

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Have you been able to find performance parts?
I am making or having them made.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 04-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
I am making or having them made.
I wonder if there is room for a stroker crank. That's where the best low speed and midrange gains are found. I'm not going to hotrod an engine that already has enough power to get the job done, especially on a bike that will be used mainly for overnight and day rides on pavement near home, especially since I built a 267cc 6-speed TW200 adventure bike a couple years ago and a 276cc TW200 café racer last year. The main reason I ordered a Cyclone is to limit the lazy cruising miles on the TWs. With the Cyclone taking most of the miles, the adventure TW can be better outfitted for unimproved roads, and the café TW can be peaked for hooliganism. I would prefer a UJM styled street bike for what I'll be doing with the Cyclone, but Suzuki and Yamaha want way too much money for bikes that would require another $1500 in accessories that are already on the Cyclone.

I expect the Cyclone will run about the same as the TW267 on pavement (judging by ride reports) but off pavement the TW's traction and tuned suspension will pass the Cyclone on the outside at will, and the TW, with it's big, aggressive front tire and double front discs, will run way further into corners before needing to back off than the Cyclone. There will be no contest in sand or mud, where the TW's 2-inch wider rear tire will still be driving long after the Cyclone, and everything else, is buried.

My TW276 will walk away from a Cyclone. Half again the horsepower, 140 pounds lighter, and a much smaller frontal area when the rider tucks in. This bike has been clocked at 94mph, at redline, about 7/8 throttle, flat ground, no wind, by a certified police laser. I've since changed the sprocket ratio to redline at 88 to keep first gear more tractable as this engine does not have much off-idle torque off the line. I expect with the right sprockets and a fairing this bike will top 100mph. It has no problem working through a pack of 250cc Japanese and Chinese "sport bikes" on any road with enough curves they can't just wind 'em up, and these are riders who weight 80-90 pounds less than I do. Even the Ninja 300s fall to the mighty Pirate in the curves, except for this one 87-pound whisp of a girl who actually knows how to ride. I can keep up with her, but can't pass her unless she makes a mistake, which is rare. I expect this engine to explode every time I fire it up.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #3210

Oldqwerty, you continue to tease us about your awesome TW's, but you never show us pics. Can you provide links to build threads on the TW forums?

I'm planning on a TW special, and I'm currently gathering parts for it. It will be in addition to my trusty TW dual sport.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer