Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #61

New York City?!?! I didn't think anybody went there on purpose...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
New York City?!?! I didn't think anybody went there on purpose...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMore2 View Post
Great pics. Especially the horse behind the wicker fence. Jeez... the amount of work that went into that only to have to start over in a year or two after it rots!

The Rx3 is also popular in Chile and Argentina. Perhaps you can sell it there? In Chile it's imported by Derco Motors and I believe it's called RX3. In Argentina it's branded Corven... called Triax Touring 250.

How's your stomach? I remember one medication I had to take for 3 days. The other for 10 days and a follow up pill on the 20th day.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden with Metronidazol. Can be serious/dangerous.

I just returned from picking up my Harley at the dealership. My parked bike had been knocked over and the front wheel driven over by a school bus, bending the fork and causing other misc damage. I left the dealership and a few blocks away I heard a lot of rattling. A few minutes later I drove over the Queensboro bridge into Manhattan then pulled over. The front brake caliper was free floating on the disk and the 2 bolts which hold the caliper to the fork were missing.
Up pulls up a guy with a big Harley decal on the window of his car to offer assistance. It turns out to be an employee of said dealership who happens to have one bolt and pliers. WTF! What are the chances? lol. I almost didn't make it home driving 5 mph to write this message. lol How's that for an adventure?
They sell the RX3 in Peru also, same as my AKT from Colombia.
Yes your Harley story sounds like an adventure to me. Good luck on recovering you loss.
My stomach is still acting up but not enough to stop me at this point.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #64

Cajamarca Police

I like the boots and helmet!

My ride today was only 100km. It was on a new two lane that was as good or better than any curvy road in the US. Yesterday's ride was much more difficult.
Today I came upon two donkeys with metal milk containers , 2 each, saddled up.
They were walking down a curvy road. What was unusual was that there was no human driver near them? I wondered if they were trained to do this alone? I should have stopped for a pic. Another missed opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (93.2 KB, 220 views)

Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #65

Huamachuco, Peru

I love these hats that many of the women wear.
Puts the men to shame!
I'm headed to Pallasca today and the Canyon del Pato tomorrow.
Light rain at the moment and debating putting on rain gear 😂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (95.8 KB, 217 views)

Old 02-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #66

hey do you have a youtube channel? I could have sworn I've seen some vids that look like your pics.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
hey do you have a youtube channel? I could have sworn I've seen some vids that look like your pics.
No sir. I haven't posted any videos this trip but I may soon. I've ridden down to the coast at Trujillo to look for a new rear tire. May have to look in Chimbote as I am going there tomorrow. 12 Feb.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #68

Huamachuco-Rulmarca-Huamachuco

I was aiming for a town? Called Pallasca when I made a navigational error (or two). I was on some rough dirt roads and it was raining. As it got later in the day I was very tired and concerned that I would Drop the bike because the roads are so slick. Around 4 PM I decided that I had to find a place to spend the night or I was going to have to sleep on the ground or in any shelter I could find. I came upon a couple of women and asked if there were any hotels nearby. No they said and Pallasca was not an option as I understood them. I bought 6 liters of gas from one lady who used a funnel to put it in the bike from a plastic Coke bottle. The other lady must have felt sorry for me and she told me I could stay at her house. I was relieved and quickly accepted. She agreed to feed me too and I told her I would pay her. I really didn't care what the price was. The small village had a nice square in the centro as most do here. She showed me a room and I think she had a small child and it was her room. They were living in very primitive conditions ( in my opinion). She fixed me a huge plate of rice, papas fritas and fried eggs. I couldn't eat half of it and was a little embarrassed that I had asked for it. In the room where I was eating I had two chickens, two guinea pigs (cui) and two cats at my feet wondering if I was going to eat all that food.

I got into my Motion X gps app and figured out where I was at and my hosts convinced me my best option was to go back to Huamachuco. I asked if someone could lead me out of there in the morning and they arranged it. It was 57 km of slick dirt road but it was much better than the road I came in on.
The next morning I had to wait on my lead guy until 10:40 to leave which put me in the rain again. The host charged me 50 sols and I paid her double. She was very grateful and I went away thinking I should have paid more. It was overall a great (but stressful) experience I will never forget.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #69

My new Rulmarca friends/ hosts

The Peruvian woman on my left is the one who rescued my lost ass!
Kinda hard to pic out the gringo isn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (98.1 KB, 222 views)

Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #70

Ride from Huamachuco to Trujillo 11Feb

It was a good ride starting out cold and I layered up pretty good.
As I got closer to the coast and lower in elevation I was forced to layer down.The mountains and terrain continue to amaze me.
I came upon this open hole in the middle of this road (sewer access I believe?)
Thank God I missed it I went back to get the pic. There were no warning markers whatsoever? I can't imagine what that hole would do to any vehicle?
It was 5 ft deep if that would matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0380.jpg (96.8 KB, 229 views)

Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #71

Wow, they only wanted to charge you 50 sol (about $15) to stay a night? And you got fed too?

Please keep the stories (and pictures) coming, some of us will never get to see the world unless it's through a picture

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #72

Trujillo to Chimbote 12Feb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Wow, they only wanted to charge you 50 sol (about $15) to stay a night? And you got fed too?
Yep, whata deal!

Today's ride was easy (2 hrs) down the big coastal Panamericano.
I left as early as possible since the power was off at 6am and my fan was no longer useful. I didn't bother with breakfast since it most likely would be cold.
The scenary changed dramatically and the mountains were brown and bare, surrounded by a lot of sand. Pretty none the less.
The harbor held hundreds? of fishing boats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.jpg (91.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.jpg (92.9 KB, 313 views)

Old 02-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #73

All your pics have been spectacular. Thanks so much for posting, I have been enjoying south America. All of my sixth grade class (1970something) was dedicated to South American social studies. this reminds me of that class. talk about remote learning
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #74

Chimbote day2. New rear tire

The Peruvian newly weds I met back in Ecuador got in touch with a friend in Chimbote and arranged for him to help me find a tire. I appreciated his good work.He lead me to the tire shop and helped me get the new tire and tube.
We took the tire to a nearby shop and had it installed. I bought a Kenda
120/80-17 to replace the stock 130/70-17 CST.
I think it's a Kenda 761 but it was not written on the tire ?
Francisco then let me up a mountain overlooking the bay. Near the top of the mountain was the sanctuary called Iglesias del Cerro de la Juventud.
The view of the city and water was great!
Francisco explained that the White Island protecting the bay was white due a rich covering of bird poop.
We left the mountain for lunch in town. I had cerviche and lomo asado and I rally liked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.jpg (87.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0422.jpg (94.1 KB, 238 views)

Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #75

The Iglesia on the hill

Francisco told me that priests were buried under the church in what looked like a cave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0404.jpg (99.5 KB, 246 views)