Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #1

New, and in the market for a 250 street legal enduro

I have made up my mind to buy a Chinese street legal enduro, and had pretty much made up my mind on a Hawk XPro from Amazon,but after I looked at TX Motor Sports sight, and noticed that they have much more variety, I can't make up my mind on what to get. They have some bikes that are in the $1,800 range with all sorts of names. I saw a video on one they had called the Apollo DB36 for around $2,000, and from what I gather from the video it has an overhead cam, and makes a good bit more mid to high range power. I have also gathered that the 229 cc motor that the Hawk,and most if the others use is a proven Honda clone. I would like the most dependable machine for my needs. I currently weigh 260, but intend to loose some, and the bike will mainly just be a back road bike.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:52 PM   #2

This post in the past few days is a pretty good summary.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=28052

Old 02-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #3

The DB36 is a nice Bike, but the seat is hard as a brick.It would be okay for short commutes, but anything longer than that and yeah.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 02-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I have been looking at Amazon, TX Power Sports, Peace Sports, and Orion, and have noticed that the HP ratings for identical bikes are not the same from the dealerships .For example TX Power Sports rates the Hawk 250 at around 11 hp, and the others rate it higher from 14- 16 hp. Are there any other reputable online dealerships I should check out ? I realize I have been asking a lot of questions,but I want to get the best value per dollar that I can. I have noticed that TX Power Sports claims no sales tax in out of state purchases, which is nice, especially when I will have to pay the state of WV 6 percent when I title it.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

With regard to the horsepower, i believe all of the CG250 clones, Hawk/Brozz/TBR/TT etc will be around 14-15hp stock.
Peace Sports sells the Brozz and Motomax and is as reputable as you'll find and with great customer service before and after the sale
Best value for dollar is what i was after as well, with that being said, all of these bikes in my opinion will need some money put into them to make them better. In my case i've spent about 450 on mods and made it my own, now approx 20hp with the creature comforts for street riding. Some of the bikes will need more money at the start but will be cheaper to buy, ie base Hawk, while others will be more expensive with less to spend, ie CSC TT250.
I think also important is what your intent is, if its mostly dirt riding then the Orion from what ive read is the clear choice, but if its a mix, you cant go wrong with the others i've mentioned.
Hope some of that helps you.. i spent alot of time weighing the pro's and cons between my final choices between Brozz and Hawk DLX here:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=348397

I went with the Brozz in the end for perceived better build quality stock, counterbalanced engine and dealer support during the first year.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

I picked up the 2020 Hawk 250 from Amazon. I am not sure about the other bikes but when you are talking about a Chinese bike you have to understand that these are projects out of the crate with lots of mods and work to get on the road.

I knew this when I got it because I like projects. I am 6ft 255 lbs and I can sit on the seat with my feet just barely flush on the ground but when sitting trying to roll it around (positioning in the garage) I am on tip toes. if you are expecting it to be gas and go, spend the $$ for a Japanese bike. if you like to tinker and keep up on it, what I have seen from other reviews these bikes will last. Me I love my Hawk although I don't have many miles on it due to Washington state. I am a fair weather rider and wont get much road time until late spring. A couple of mods that I have done I ordered through CSC in California. (compatible parts) Hindsight I would have probably gone with the TT250 due to the customer service. Fast, friendly and helpful.

All that being said, I still love my Hawk.

What I did to get it on the road
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27511
2018 QIYI Coolster 150cc Quad
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2020 Hawk 250cc (Brand New work in progress)
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 02-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

I am mechanically inclined, but I probably won't get into any major mods if I don't absolutely need to. I have gathered that the carbs are all jetted a little small, and the exhaust is restricted. .I am glad you posted your weight. I weigh almost 260, and was wondering how these 250 bikes handle the weight with stock sprockets..

Old 02-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I weigh almost 260, and was wondering how these 250 bikes handle the weight with stock sprockets..
I weigh what you weigh (see name lol). They are more than fine on stock sprockets. You could even gear them up a bit and still be ok.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I weigh what you weigh (see name lol). They are more than fine on stock sprockets. You could even gear them up a bit and still be ok.
Thanks Dan ! I have been in contact with Brozz , and the woman I spoke to was nice, but I think English may have been a second language to her. I asked if the tires on the Recon were DOT approved, and she recommended a different model of Brozz 250 with more of a street tire. I am leaning towards getting it. I saw what I think was the version she recommended on a MottoCheez Youtube video, and I liked what I saw, except for the remote start / alarm feature. I would rather the bike be a hair cheaper, and not have such a useless feature. I also noticed him riding it in a video with another guy on a TaoTao TBR7, and I liked that bike as well. It's not as nice as the Brozz, but around 25 percent cheaper. I think for my needs the big knobby tires may not be best, but don't really know. My main priority is that they will be Dot approved, and pass WV inspection. I'm getting close to making up my mind on something.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #10

I passed VA state safety inspection with no problem, not sure how that differs from WV but im guessing they are DOT approved. I'd call again and just ask to speak to Jeff, he's an excellent resource to help you.
The knobby tires on the recon are nice especially offroad, ive even done a short snow ride with them, that was fun although slippery at times.. on road they are fine when you up to speed but when new especially can be a bit squirmy around sharp bends. Also, im close to 1k now and they appear to be around 50% used so not sure they go much past 2k with a blend of road and dirt riding. For that reason, i plan to get a 50/50 tire when these wear out... perhaps one thats taller and wider in the front and wider in the rear would be nice

Old 02-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #11

Fyi. found this on the shopbrozz.com site for the recon:

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES
Brakes Front and Rear Disc Wheels 19 Front 17 Rear
Wheel Colors Black
Tires DOT knobbies