Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #1

damn thing wont idle

ok looked all over for an hour for this and just cant find but im sure you guys have talked about it before.... got an xp200 that ran fine for the first 2000 miles now the damn thing will just not idle hot or cold unless i turn the idle screw to 4000 rpm! ive tore the carb off twice now and takin it down as far as i can i cant find a piece of dust crud crap funk shit paint skank or dirt! any help ! with pics ! will be totally awesome and helpful....minikuni carb by the way......runs fine will not idle! pulled a wire from a wire brush and sent through all holes so no dirt there either...

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

Have you actually removed the jets for cleaning? Not only should you pass a wire bristle through the slow jet, you should blast both jets with carb cleaner. Follow with carb cleaner through the passages and then a blast of air from a compressor.

BTW, what size is your slow jet? Main jet?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

I know you've been through it but it's gotta be a slow speed jet.

Weld, do you think an incorrectly set float could cause this also?

Some sort of CDI issue?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #4

Since he says that it runs fine but will not idle, I'm not inclined to think CDI or float level. I agree with you, Doc; I think it's the idle circuit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

I had this problem when my battery quit on my XF...

Once it was revving up, it would run fine because I guess it produced enough juice to run the electrics. Below like 4k rpm it would sputter and die. I was at work when it started and I nursed it home by keeping the revs up at stop lights.

New battery fixed my problem. Might be worth checking it...

Guess I should add that I had to kick start it for this to work. If your starter is turning, then it probably isn't the battery. :wink:

Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

tore the damn thing apart again...ran brush wire through what friend says was slow jet could see light and wire went through....i wan tto say i saw 035? on it....tore whole thing apart and didnt find a single peice of dirt again put back on bike and fire up but will only run with choke on or constant rev.......anyway im sick of looking at it and its going to the shop what is the closest bike to this thing? honda yamaha? so i know which dealer to take too, i thank you guys for your time but this is just crazy and im tied of pulling the damn thing apart...pulled every piece i could off carb and wire went through any and all jets

Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #7

you guys mentioned float i tore that off also and put it bak how i found it....the screen down there showed no dirt also

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

Dmmcd brings up a point we HAVE seen on Q's here, and it's easy to check. :wink:

Hook some jumper cables to a known good battery. The size and amps of the battery DO NOT MATTER as long as the polarities are right and its 12 volts.

Start the bike and see how she idles. If it's running well you need a new battery.

Q batteries are notoriously poor or old when the bikes are delivered.
:?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #9

ok ill try but it turns over fine i think...

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

Dmmcd is right if the battery voltage is low the bike will run very rough, also when you say that you're tearing apart the carburetor are you cleaning the air jet in the top of the carb? the air jet will effect idling like the pilot if it is clogged and if there is a tear in the rubber boot for the slide.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

i removed every and anything i could remove from carb will try battery today

Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #12

Have you checked valve clearance? If they are tight and losing compression that would affect the idle.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #13

no on valves...removed battery and jumped with car will idle smooth as silk with choke on but will not rev at all with choke on....back to valves would it having 2000 miles on it tighten up the valves would they get alittle looser?....damn thing ran perfect and would start no choke and first stroke of piston when new, damn this is frustrating...slowly starting to hate it like another bike of mine hd mt500, thats a bike if given to you take straight to scrap yard....thanks for all the help guys

Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #14

2,000 miles it's time to check the valves. They tend to tighten as they receed into the seats.

It still sounds like a plugged slow speed/idle/pilot jet. Maybe the carb is defective somehow?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #15

Could it be a misadjusted pilot air screw?