Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Chinese plasma cutters

Has anyone ever tried any of the Chinese plasma cutters on the market?
There is a 30 amp one at kms tools for $650 that's good up to 1/2 inch steel. It's called a weldking.
That got me looking into the Chinese stuff and I found another company called everlast that seems to get decent reviews. Right now everlast is clearing out it's supercut 50 which is capable of cutting 1" steel! It's an older style MOSFET machine but they are only $450 shipped right now. They also carry another 50 amp plasma cutter that is newer technology than MOSFET I forget what it's actualy called but it's ibga or something like that. They say it's more heavy duty. It's $650 shipped.

Any suggestions or feedback on these would be great!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

i have a harbor freight 35 which has been since discontinued, made in france i think it works ok, but i would be more worried about consumables
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #3

From what I've heard the everlast torches are based on torches that are widely used so consumables are available at most welding supply stores.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #4

I was interested in a plasma cutter until I did some cutting with my buddy's Esab. It's a very nice machine, but I won't spend the money on one. I can accomplish any cuts I need to make with either a 4 1/2" or 7" angle grinder with a cut-off disc, or my 14" chop saw. I found that the plasma cutter still left a flame cut like an oxy / acetylene torch, so I decided not to bother. If you plan on consistently cutting 1" material, that's another matter.

KMS was giving 14" chop saws away for $80, including the disc and a spare 4 1/2" angle grinder!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #5

I was in kms last week and the cheapest cut off saw they have is $200. at least in the langley store.
I want to get one of those too, but the reason I need one is cause I removed the interior from my project car and I found a ton of cancer in the passenger footwell:( So I gotta cut out a bunch of the floor and part of the subframe and wel in new pieces. I figure a plasma cutter would be my best bet.
Most of my work is on cars so I doubt I'll be cutting much more that 1/8 inch material for the most part. I do have a big slab of 1/2 steel that I was gonna use to make some header and turbo flanges out of.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #6

Have you tried Princess for a chop saw? http://www.princessauto.com/tools/co...yword=chop+saw If you plan to buy one, make sure to ask for their last sale price; you never know.

Can you use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut-off disc for cancer removal? They're cheap and plentiful, just make sure to tuck in your shirt. Did you see that old Monster Garage episode where the guy broke his teeth when the angle grinder got wrapped up in his shirt? They actually had a dentist come on site and create new teeth with a mini CNC machine and install them on the spot. Bizarre.

Do you really need 1/2" header flanges? 8O I've never heard of more than 1/4", even for turbo flanges.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #7

I have an angle grinder and I could probably use it. But I do alot of tinkering so I'm sure I could use a plasma cutter in the future as well.

The last few times I've been in the Langley princess auto I've walked every aisle and havnt seen any cut off saws.

I was looking on the everlast website and they have combo welders too. The powerultra 205 is a dc stick/ tig/ plasma cutter. It's 200 amp welder and 50 amp plasma cutter. And it's only $850 shipped!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #8

Princess Auto is getting pretty hit and miss as far as corded power tools goes. Their main supplier, Clarke, went bust in November, and most of what I'm seeing here is Hitachi, and other big names/prices. Canadian Tire, every once in a while, throws their cut-off saw on sale.
Of course we all know: "you gets what you pays for", but for the occasional user, the cheap stuff is great.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #9

boost_addict, the chop saws aren't down the aisles, they're in the center area, around the large toolboxes (can you tell I spend too much time there?).

My chop saw and angle grinder are Superior brand (whatever that means), and they've both served me well for occasional use, like Reveeen says. I bought decent quality Makita blades for the chop saw, and that makes all the difference (the Princess version was out-of-round).

BTW, KMS puts 4 1/2" Neiko cut-off discs on sale all the time for $1.00 each. I usually have 10-20 on hand.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #10

Great thread guys...Thanks for the tip off on powerultra line. I realy like the combo unit tig/plasm !!!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #11

Small change of subject (sorry).

I'm looking for a drain rooter, the power kind, 1/2" X 50 foot snake, cutter heads, made in China (cheap), for occasional use (maybe 3 times a year).

Anybody seen anything?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #12

I'm one of those people that goes up every aisle and row in princess auto every time I go there:P The only area I will sometimes skip out on is the hydraulics section.

they were advertising them in every flyer for a long time but they havn't been in the last few (I'm holding the most current one in my hand and just went through it to make sure I didn't miss anything)

Has anyone here ever bought anything from everlast???