Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #1

Old lawn/garden tractors

So I seem to have been bitten by the old lawn/garden tractor bug lately.

I now have a small fleet of tractors 3 runners and a fourth close to running and two parts tractors out back.

I just had a sears suburban SS16 with a plow given to me that I got started saturday.
It's rough but a far better tractor than the others I have so far and I'd like to go through it and fix and paint it up really nice.

Getting parts for this is more difficult than gettting parts for a china bike.

Here is the plow tractor I have been using and while it works it has some short comings and I was going to do a few mods to the plow to make it safer/better but now with the SS16 I doubt I will touch it.

This little plow tractor and another parts tractor will most likely get joined together to make a six wheel tractor by adding the trans of one to the back of the other.
Not for any other reason other than "because I want to and can".
If it looks feasable I may try to make a 4wd out of the parts but that will take far more work but then they're just old tractors.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #2

With the SS16 ebay/craigslist is your friend. I have a small fleet also. Cub Cadets.

Allen

Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #3

I'm just curious, I've seen Garden tractors around here with plows on them, but I've never sen anyone actually using them.

Do they actually have the traction/power to push snow nicely? Enough speed to get some "curling" action happening?

I could see where the belt drive/pedal control would be a lot nicer than the 4speed manual Atv that I use-- I mean some times, you just plain old run out of hands!

--Vince

Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

I see parts for the SS16 on EBAY but not much on CL but I keep checking and I hope to find some tractor salvage yards this summer or pick up another complete SS.
Mine is a 1976 so I will most likely go with a slight patriatic theme on the paint.
There doesnt seem to be salvage yards as much as there are guys with these things scattered all over their lawns from what I have seen/been to.

Well that little tractor plowed our drive without to much trouble and as you can see it has NO weights or chains on the back.
But to be fair the snow was very light/fluffy.

It did clear the driveway at the road where the street plow had piled the snow but since it was just a couple (2-3) inches of snowfall it wasnt much of a problem.

I'd use our mule if it was set up for it but not having a plow and 4wd drive being down right now I have to use what I can.

I dont think it goes anywhere fast enough to actually throw the snow far but it is still easier than shoveling it by hand.

Since we got this house we have been tapped and these little tractors are all over the place for free or next to nothing.

The SS16 was a good score from a friend at work and will be pampered but also my main tractor I just need a mower deck for it now.(wood chipper, lift bucket, back blade, rototiller, and on and on....)

Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #5

That is a nice looking Sears Suburban. I do a little garden tractor tinkering as well. My main machine is a Cub 2544, but being intrigued by Case/Ingersoll, I picked up a nice 1979 Case 220 w/ J40 deck this past summer. I just did a bunch of work to the deck. It's a powerful, heavy iron beast for sure, I just don't care for the quirkiness of the hand controlled Hy-Drive system much.

Joel

Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #6

WOW thats nice.

I like to tinker with these things and then go out and use them to get some stuff done.

Its just fun.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #7

Not my tractor, but I have plowed gardens like this.

My Dad has a cub with a kwik way loader on it and hydraulics.

PoMan, I have been wanting a case too.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

OK welll here is a hack repair job on my grill.

These things have a fiberglas grill that hinges with very little fiberglas (like an 1/8" thick) to keep it all together so yeah it was broke completly off.

It feels fairly strong but i'll also put on a cable stop to keep the hood from folding to far forward.
I still have to reattatch to hood to the grill.

I'll repaint when the weather gets a bit warmer.

My goal is to find a ROPER aluminum front grill and dash and polish them up if they'll shine but for now this will have to do.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #9

Excellent work! Looking good. I remember the fiberglass hood on our 1970 JD 110. It had lots-o-cracks from 30yrs of age/use. Even some of today's plastic hoods are better IMO. That's one great thing about the hood on my Case. You could dance a Jig on that baby. The 3-pc design on my 2005 model year Cub 2544 is OK, it's just the way the side panels attach is junk.

Joel

Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #10

Yep. The cub is steel and cast iron.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Just ask the Jeep, right?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #12

im starting to see china riders have a strange affection for tractors, i know i do, maybe more than bikes 8O i have often wondered how other survive without the benefit of owning at least one, even a little one
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Just ask the Jeep, right?
You remember that. Operatorless tractor and Jeep moment. It left a bruise on the bumper. Cub survived with a cracked oil pan. Still in pieces awaiting a new paint job.

Jeep has since moved along to a new owner next door.

Allen

Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
im starting to see china riders have a strange affection for tractors, i know i do, maybe more than bikes 8O i have often wondered how other survive without the benefit of owning at least one, even a little one
I bought a Mitsubishi MT372D last fall. I don't know how I lived without a tractor for so long.

Not the actual tractor but same model (with loader). Once you've gone tractor you can't go without.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #15

I have actually been thinking about a china tractor such as Jinma or one of the others. Been wating to do more pond work at my place though and might settle for an older industrial loader-tractor then sell and get a small 4WD tractor.

I currently mow 5 acres with a craftsman Rider and a Swisher trail mower. Trying to come up with a way to speed up the mowing a little more without breaking the bank.