Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #1

TaoTao 125f Brand New Starting problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I got a TaoTao 125f for Christmas and I LOVE IT. The only issue is starting it. It came shipped with oil and everything so all I did was add gas (unleaded regular 87). The first day using it, I cranked for like an hour. Checked around the atv and made sure everything was right, read the manual, watched the video and multiple YouTube videos. Eventually it started when I cranked it and pushed the throttle. It ran fine that day. Since that day, it starts after cranking for a few and pushing the throttle. I see a lot of videos on YouTube with people not having to do that and it starts as soon as they push the button to start. So obviously there's an issue with mine. I'm new to atv's but not scared to dig around and get in the carburetor or whatever myself to resolve the problem. But as I stated, I love the atv so much I just purchased a 150cc coolster 3150dx2 tonight for fiancĂ© and friends that come over (so should be here in about 2 weeks 😁😁&#128513. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9261.jpg (97.2 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9264.jpg (97.3 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9260.jpg (97.4 KB, 526 views)

Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

Carb

Raise the fuel needle alittle in the carb throttle...see YouTube for this...it is on the top of carb where the cable attaches to the carb...you will see a circling holding the needle in the black plastic body..yours is TOO LOW...raise it up one knotch and try it again...this will let it suck up more fuel to start it..thanks let us know

Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #3

Looks like nice neighborhood to tool around on if those valves are too tight need to gap them open, it will start on one light touch if it can breathe.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

The stock carb on my Rhino only had one groove on the needle. Only way to do it with that needle would be to add washers I think.

Never use the oil that comes with a Chinese atv... Change it before you ride again.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #5

Are you using the choke?
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestion fellas! Last night before I went to bed I saw some of you replied and was excited to follow what you said today but it rained all day today 😫. Hopefully I get some clear weather tomorrow or sometime this week. @david yes I do use the choke to start it.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 AM   #7

Fuel

As you say , if you give it throttle and then it starts...your problem is the fuel needle is too low causing the fuel NOT TO BE SUCked in?...raise it up..try it .you will see

Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

Ok fellas, this morning I changed oil (Shell Rotella 15w-40) and changed spark plug to an NKG one. It has gas in it. I checked the needle on the carb and it's only one groove so it can't be adjusted. The atv won't start. Do I need to get a new battery? While trying to crank it, it sounds lazy like the batter isn't powerful enough. It's the original taotao battery that came with it. I've only rode this thing maybe twice before and got it for Christmas so what should I check next?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9643.jpg (79.8 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9641.jpg (78.5 KB, 490 views)

Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Ok... another update. I just bought a new battery ($60 lost). And installed it and the thing now "turns" more powerful than ever but won't start 😩. I saw another post mentioning turning a screw on the carb which will leak gas thru a tube at the bottom to tell if gas is indeed going thru the carb. Well, I turned that screw and has came shooting out the tube. I then tried to turn the screw the opposite direction to shut the gas from coming thru but it won't cut off and the screw is turned all the way as far as it would go. So to stop fuel from coming out the tube I had the shut off the fuel petcock thing. I'm about ready to throw this atv out in the trash as now i see why everyone talks so badly about Chinese atv's. and I just spent another $1000 on a coolster 150 which i should be expecting by Tuesday 😔. Hopefully I have better luck with that one and it will be my last Chinese atv if we can't figure out the deal with this taotao.

Pic of fuel leaking attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (93.2 KB, 509 views)

Old 02-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #10

Best thing I did for my Rhino was to toss the stock carb and replace it with a $30 Mikuni clone. Damn near doubled my HP ... starts nice too.

I know most will tell you the carb and the battery will need to be changed/upgraded. Most will say both will only last a season at best. Once I had one I understood and agree with that statement fully.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Best thing I did for my Rhino was to toss the stock carb and replace it with a $30 Mikuni clone. Damn near doubled my HP ... starts nice too.

I know most will tell you the carb and the battery will need to be changed/upgraded. Most will say both will only last a season at best. Once I had one I understood and agree with that statement fully.

I can order one and try to have it overnight. Can you direct me where I need to get it? Or atleast which is the right carb for my taotao 125f1? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

No clue which model carb you have in your 125f1. Mine was for a 200-250cc engine. I got it from Amazon though.

I'm sure someone here will know which one you need, along with the size jets you need for it.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #13

searching around now for correct replacement carb. I think the float i stuck which is why fuel is leaking thru the overflow tube but the carb doesnt have screws to get to the float bowl.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

They cut the heads off the screws on the carbs that come with these atvs.

I know... WTF... the adjustment screws are brass plugged shut too. You might be able to find some threads here if you search around. Forum seems slow this weekend.. not much activity.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #15

carb replacement

hello...I did not know they did that to the needle plunger for the EPA SPECS... just order another carb for the 125 cc I do not know if there is a MIKINU carb for the 125 cc ... they ones I use are for the 110 cc atvs ... no one complains... check with your supplier who you bought it from for the carb.. usually the will help you witht he part... I will have to check on my 125 atv for this needle plunger... other ones have the multislots... you can check it in the store... this is all you really need to do... raise the c clip down.... try a thin washer if you want... for now.. I would think any needle from any 110 cc atv carb will work... I know this will work... most people think the Chinese atv is junk .. but it because of lack of knownledge..on how to do things... this site will help you... and youtube... not many other sites for this much help.. where are you... some one local might come and help you.. if you tell us where you are... thanks JIM,... I would come and help if you were near me.. palm springs area... for now