Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

First major ride on the Rhino

And I went everywhere the big boys went. Some observations..

Sometimes felt like there needs to be a gear between 3rd and 4th.

Engine bogs down pretty bad on long inclines.

I put a pretty good beating on the Rhino and it held up perfectly.

By about mile 85 I really wished I had a twist throttle.

Only problem is , cement head me, forgot to tighten the front bolts after tightening the chain and lost one. I found one the same size just a little shorter in my trailer. Laying in the mud with people standing around waiting for me I cross threaded it putting it in. Now a full length bolt wont go in.

I have a tap but I don't know how I am going to get in there to tap the welded nut. Not enough room! Dang it.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

I agree with you about needing a gear between 3rd and 4th. I suspect the manufacturer started with a regular 5 speed CG engine, removed 4th gear and put reverse in it's place along with a different shift drum.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

I have had a similar experience. Being able to keep up with (insert brand name), just wished the suspension (rear shock) on the rhino would provide greater compliance (feel beat up after an hour of riding) Out on the trails it's never about top speed.

Tires would be a good upgrade if you encounter difficult terrain.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #4

For how little these things cost, and for its suspension and gearing drawbacks, they are very durable and quite a bargain.

The Rhino.....you put a good beating on it for the first two hours, then it returns the favor! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphappy View Post
And I went everywhere the big boys went. Some observations..

Sometimes felt like there needs to be a gear between 3rd and 4th.

Engine bogs down pretty bad on long inclines.

I put a pretty good beating on the Rhino and it held up perfectly.

By about mile 85 I really wished I had a twist throttle.

Only problem is , cement head me, forgot to tighten the front bolts after tightening the chain and lost one. I found one the same size just a little shorter in my trailer. Laying in the mud with people standing around waiting for me I cross threaded it putting it in. Now a full length bolt wont go in.

I have a tap but I don't know how I am going to get in there to tap the welded nut. Not enough room! Dang it.
Slaphappy...We're about to take our two Rhinos up some AZ jeep trails. You mentioned the engine bogging down pretty bad on long inclines. Were you mostly in second gear mostly? Are there any mods you plan on to remedy this? Smaller front sprocket...I would like to hear from you so I might put my trip off a couple of days to prepare our units better.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstryker88 View Post
Slaphappy...We're about to take our two Rhinos up some AZ jeep trails. You mentioned the engine bogging down pretty bad on long inclines. Were you mostly in second gear mostly? Are there any mods you plan on to remedy this? Smaller front sprocket...I would like to hear from you so I might put my trip off a couple of days to prepare our units better.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
The bogging down was on fairly smooth seasonal roads. I was trying to keep up with bigger machines and would be cruising in 4th gear heading into the hill. Motor would die off pretty quick and I'd shift down to 3rd gear and then 2nd near the top of the hill. I don't think I would have any issue at all going up the hills in 2nd other than falling way behind.

The rockier hills that everyone had to go slow on I climbed right up with little trouble in lower gears.

I don't think I could mod anything to change it.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
For how little these things cost, and for its suspension and gearing drawbacks, they are very durable and quite a bargain.

The Rhino.....you put a good beating on it for the first two hours, then it returns the favor! ;-)
I actually can't believe how long the chain stayed on without that bolt. I heard it slapping but wasn't aware that the bolt was gone until I got down there to see what was going on. One of my concerns after reading reviews was the chain popping off. I'm not worried about that so much anymore.

Actually I was afraid to really RIDE it at first because I was wondering if the thing would rattle apart underneath me leaving me with nothing but the handle bars I was holding.

After that fear went away I rode her pretty hard and other than my own mistake I didn't even find a loose bolt.

I did wish the suspension was a little more forgiving but I couldn't stop thinking that I was out here riding for $1300.. amazes me still.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #8

I've only been out riding it off my property a couple times, with a buddy on his giant Honda 450 sport quad. Obviously, he left me in the dust but I was having more fun navigating steep rocky stuff and just sight seeing more than trying to cover as much ground as possible.

I've done the carb, breather, pipe and gearing. It's a whole different quad. For dragging my cart or landscape drag around, the gearing made to most difference when needing to pull at low speeds.

Next I want to do shocks but I'll need to shop around and I certainly don't want to spend a ton. It's a RHINO! ;-). Not that I'd ever compare the little sized, small displacement Rhino to a Honda 450 TRX, but the Rhino did surprisingly well!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

How are you guys filling the fuel tank through that tiny deep dark hole without it overflowing? The opening isn't big enough to see the fuel level at the same time the gas can nozzle or funnel is in the opening. I much prefer the larger opening and plastic tank used on the ATA250D.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
How are you guys filling the fuel tank through that tiny deep dark hole without it overflowing? The opening isn't big enough to see the fuel level at the same time the gas can nozzle or funnel is in the opening. I much prefer the larger opening and plastic tank used on the ATA250D.
I have a pair of these. The last "real" gas. Makes filling anything from my big truck to my chainsaw easy. With the Rhino, I fill it by sound and just check it once in a while when filling.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eagle-5-Gal...ne-Can/1136093

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

I didn't know they still made metal gas cans. Think I found a solution for me though, a fuel transfer pump from HF that should also work as a tire pump for low pressure tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I have a pair of these. The last "real" gas. Makes filling anything from my big truck to my chainsaw easy. With the Rhino, I fill it by sound and just check it once in a while when filling.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eagle-5-Gal...ne-Can/1136093

Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
That is a pain. A lot of pulling the gas can back to see how much is in it.

I am guessing I was getting about 50 miles per tank. Just guessing because I never let it get near empty.