Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Hawk aftermarket chain tensioner

I was looking around for a chain tensioner and found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Chain-Tension...01M0D8RA3?th=1

There is only one review, but the reviewer installed in on a Hawk and included pictures.

Is this someone here? I searched, but did not find anything on it.

I was hoping to have enough chain slack to be able to swap out front sprockets without having to put the bike on a stand and remove the rear wheel.

I am about to swap to a 17/40 setup. I was thinking about being able to ride highway speed to the trail, then swapping the front out to a 14t within a few minutes and without a stand.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

Looks pretty cool. Never read thread about it but I have only been on here a fairly shore while

Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

chain shouldnt be that tight as to not be able to get it off the sprockets. should be able to rotate rear and get chain off to change front sprocket.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-21-2018, 01:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
chain shouldnt be that tight as to not be able to get it off the sprockets. should be able to rotate rear and get chain off to change front sprocket.
What he is looking for is a way to run the chain a bit looser to simply make the job easier. You are correct that you can install and remove the sprocket without having to do anything else with the proper chain tension, although it can be a royal pain in the rear. Having the chain just a it more slack with a tensioner would allow him to simply remove tension, swap, and add tension again.

Honestly, I say give it a try. I don't know of anybody using one on a Hawk, but I miss posts sometimes and it may have been before I joined.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
What he is looking for is a way to run the chain a bit looser to simply make the job easier. You are correct that you can install and remove the sprocket without having to do anything else with the proper chain tension, although it can be a royal pain in the rear. Having the chain just a it more slack with a tensioner would allow him to simply remove tension, swap, and add tension again.

Honestly, I say give it a try. I don't know of anybody using one on a Hawk, but I miss posts sometimes and it may have been before I joined.
nah you can get it off easily even if its over tightened! just roll the rear wheel while pushing the chain to the side. nothing to it.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

when putting a master link back on does it matter what way the little clip thingy faces?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
when putting a master link back on does it matter what way the little clip thingy faces?
I always put mine so that the closed end is in the direction of the chain while going forward. I figure that if you have it that way you have a better chance of something not catching on it and pulling it off. No proof of that. Just my thinking.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #8

nm....wrong thread.

Last edited by Deckard_Cain; 06-29-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
I was looking around for a chain tensioner and found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Chain-Tension...01M0D8RA3?th=1

There is only one review, but the reviewer installed in on a Hawk and included pictures.

Is this someone here? I searched, but did not find anything on it.

I was hoping to have enough chain slack to be able to swap out front sprockets without having to put the bike on a stand and remove the rear wheel.

I am about to swap to a 17/40 setup. I was thinking about being able to ride highway speed to the trail, then swapping the front out to a 14t within a few minutes and without a stand.
Iam using something like that on my bike. It seems to work but I haven't tested it much yet.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #10

I use a tensioner on my Hawk and have had it on there for about a year now. Tensioners reduce vibration on the chain which cuts down a little on noise and helps with wear resistance so they do have a positive effect, but how much of an effect is beyond me.

Just make sure the metal portion that clamps down on the rod for the roller-wheel has a set screw on it or it will come loose and fall off. I've noticed that some of the "universal ATV chain tensioners" on ebay don't have the set screw. It works well and keeps tension on the chain going around the sprocket. Never had problems with it and it bolted on to the swingarm with no modifications needed. Use threadlocker on the bolts and grease up the roller wheel bearings so that it doesn't bind or wear out prematurely. I didn't get the tensioner for easy removal of the chain...I still pop the master link clip off if I need to remove the chain, but it is easier to install the chain with a tensioner because you don't have to tighten the chain as much.

The one I bought is here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ch...IAAOSwkl5XdeYm - you can get it in 3 colors and it's made out of aluminum. You can find sellers in the US on eBay that have them, I don't recommend purchasing it from China unless you want to wait over a month for it. Typical price is $15-$20 for that particular model.
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 06-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
I use a tensioner on my Hawk and have had it on there for about a year now. Tensioners reduce vibration on the chain which cuts down a little on noise and helps with wear resistance so they do have a positive effect, but how much of an effect is beyond me.

Just make sure the metal portion that clamps down on the rod for the roller-wheel has a set screw on it or it will come loose and fall off. I've noticed that some of the "universal ATV chain tensioners" on ebay don't have the set screw. It works well and keeps tension on the chain going around the sprocket. Never had problems with it and it bolted on to the swingarm with no modifications needed. Use threadlocker on the bolts and grease up the roller wheel bearings so that it doesn't bind or wear out prematurely. I didn't get the tensioner for easy removal of the chain...I still pop the master link clip off if I need to remove the chain, but it is easier to install the chain with a tensioner because you don't have to tighten the chain as much.

The one I bought is here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ch...IAAOSwkl5XdeYm - you can get it in 3 colors and it's made out of aluminum. You can find sellers in the US on eBay that have them, I don't recommend purchasing it from China unless you want to wait over a month for it. Typical price is $15-$20 for that particular model.
That's the same one Iam using.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
That's the same one Iam using.

Yeah it seems to hold up pretty well. I think I posted something on here a year or two ago about tensioners. Keep the tensioner spring and roller bearings lubed up and it'll last. The first tensioner I bought didn't have the set screw, just clamped onto the roller rod and I think it lasted 2 rides before the roller and rod came off during a ride. Never figured out where it went but I picked up another one and it has stayed put for many rides.
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks