Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Street riding for dual sport?

Hello, everybody its been a year since my first post , still looking for that special dual sport. So here are my personal specs on me first. I'm 5'8 little over 200lbs, unfortunately, inseam 31 ". for flat footing on a motorcycle. I honestly need a dual sport thats already ready for more street riding 95% and the other 5% offroading close as possible to that. I ride every week , weather permitting of course. I have taken the Ohio Msf course , I rode a Suzuki dual sport and absolute loved it. During the training course.. I prefer a bike in blue color or black secondary. My cash limit is below $2000 for everything (hopefully with assembly). Im in ohio , so not really worried about registration. Love to ride and love all bikes. But in my area all enduros that are used (private owners) still wanting stealership prices? I have read many forums on here and check alot of dealer websites. And heres more honesty it took me 5 years to save up this kind of cash I have now. So i do not have extra to play with. Jap bikes I understand resell , But can't afford them even used? I know they are out there, but, I haven't found one yet. I ride now a 2007 yamaha virago and have 1985 honda goldwing interstate for the wife and me. Any advice or guidance from this group, would be tremendous asset to me and for my son my future rider. Thank you..

Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Welcome! For your budget. I say get a RPS HAWK (THE most popular bike here) Lots of knowledge on this bike here, and on Youtube. Now if Ohio is a problems state for registering the Hawk get the 49 State legal Bashan BSR (Enforcer) Its basically the same bike. You CAN NOT go wrong with either. A few upgrades that don't cost a ton and you will have a FINE machine for what you want.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #3

Listen to that guy. I don't own a hawk but from what I've seen and heard they would be perfect for you.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 02-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

Welcome! Let me start off by welcoming a fellow 4cyl Goldwing owner. I have a 1975 GL1000.

I would agree with the Hawk, as I have one. Or the Bashan Enforcer, which is a Hawk with better road gearing and carb tuning out of the box. Both come with DOT dirt tires, so different tires would be a good idea. Thankfully, there are some great affordable dual sport tires out there to make them much more road friendly.

In fact, you could buy and fully upgrade a Hawk and still be well within your budget. The list below mirrors my build when I first got and upgraded my Hawk. I can provide links and part number if interested.

Hawk - $1400(ish) shipped.
Sprockets and chain - $50+ (Depending on chain).
ebay exhaust and gasket - $130
pod filter -$8
Mikuni clone carb and genuine jets - $70
Hawk Digital cluster with Tach - $95 (Not needed, but very worth it.)
Shinko 705 tires and heavy duty tubes - $150 (Check local shops, might have a deal or will offer free install with purchase)
Total cost - $1903

This price can be more or less depending on a few things, this is just representative of my bike. It also leaves out the cost of changing all of the fluids (recommended).

Keep in mind most of this isn't necessary. At minimum, sprockets ($30), jets and shims to tune the stock carb ($20), and better tubes ($30-40). My Hawk did just fine on the knobbies until I changed to the 705's. The 705's are definitely more street friendly though, no doubt about it, and the stock tubes are pretty crappy and will need to be changed eventually - a well known issue.

This route would roughly total about $1600. Then if you have access to a welder, you can de-cat and de-baffle the stock exhaust and do the airbox mod for some low buck performance gains (basically free). If you want more insight into this route, then definitely talk to JerryHawk. I am a bit less budget oriented than many members here.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

Another option would be to look at the Bashan Storm or Shark. These bikes are very similar to the Hawk and Enforcer, but come with counterbalanced engines (bit smoother) and have lower seat heights that might be better suited to you. They also come with 19"/17" wheels and dual sport style tires out of the crate, and are intended to be more road use oriented.

The downside is, they are about $200 more expensive. That said, they also require less changes to be road friendly. I can't speak as to how good the stock tires, tubes, etc, are, but even if that is the case, you can always uprade them if needed.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

The Brozz and Storm should be back anytime now (I'm patiently waiting). Yes they are a bit more expensive than the Hawk. But they come with everything (mostly) on the Hawk mod list. Genuine Keihin Carb, Dual sport tires (tubes are still junk) 17/45 cogs, digital speedo and tach (in MPH), Genuine Yuasa battery, NGK Spark Plug and USD Forks (the newer models, my 2014 had the same forks as a Hawk). The Brozz is an awesome machine IMHO (but I may be biased). Now on the flip side the Hawk takes the crown as in experienced SUPPORT here and else where. And me personally I'm only gonna wait a while longer and I will get a Hawk as well. My patience is wearing thin, VERY, THIN! LOL

Old 02-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
The Brozz and Storm should be back anytime now (I'm patiently waiting). Yes they are a bit more expensive than the Hawk. But they come with everything (mostly) on the Hawk mod list. Genuine Keihin Carb, Dual sport tires (tubes are still junk) 17/45 cogs, digital speedo and tach (in MPH), Genuine Yuasa battery, NGK Spark Plug and USD Forks (the newer models, my 2014 had the same forks as a Hawk). The Brozz is an awesome machine IMHO (but I may be biased). LOL
I don't like to compare the gearing of the Brozz/Shark/Storm directly with a Hawk, mainly because those three bikes have smaller diameter tires than a Hawk. That said, stock for stock they still are geared better, admittedly. Toss on a 17 tooth front sprocket to the Hawk and the overall ratio between the two is close to the same, for a measly $10. For a good direct comparison, the Enforcer does come with a 17 front and I believe a 47 rear, and that is what the Hawk SHOULD have.

It'd hard to argue with the better carb and carb tuning out of the box though.

As far as the battery, my Hawk's stock battery is 1 year old now and still holds a charge and starts, even after sitting. Maybe the battery quality is hit or miss, but I have had a good experience.

The USD Forks I can agree with, but only from a rigidity point of view. Functionality wise, they aren't much of an improvement.

I am not trying to knock down the Bashan bikes at all. I agree that out of the crate they are definitely a better bike. The difference in price though doesn't make them a better value for the dollar. $200 on a Hawk can make up all of those differences with ease.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

I am really happy with my Brozz. It does come with all the upgrades the sprockets are 17 46 on mine.

Just wish the white stuff would go away so I can ride again.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #9

I have about 2100 miles on my Hawk. I bought it in Nov '16. I use it for my short commute and to run around town. From time to time, I will go to one of the next towns over. I use mine 98% on-road.
Still running stock tires and tubes, stock battery.
I did most of the other standard mods, which still haven't added up to the $2k limit yet (that was my limit as well).
I am running 17/45 sprockets and can reliably count on 58-62 mph on a windy day, but can see 65-67 on a calm day.

I've got a 32" inseam and am pretty comfortable on the Hawk. At red lights, I like to keep my left foot on the peg and near the shifter, and barely lean to have my right foot flat.

I keep an eye on my local craigslist and can find some decent 15-20-year-old bikes in the $1800-2000 price range. Your area might vary, but today my craigslist search showed:
04 KLR650 ($1800), 7 new and assembled Hawks ($1500-1800), 92 Yamaha XT225 ($1250), 99 Yamaha TTR250 ($1600), also a 2-stroke KTM520 and a 2-stroke Yamaka KE100.
https://lakeland.craigslist.org/sear...max_price=2000

Old 02-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #10

Its really a good situation for us China Bike riders to be in. Any of them you choose you didn't really choose wrong! I will add that everyone claims that having the counter balanced engine is a plus. But the only down side to that is that engine has a chain driven oil pump whereas the Hawk and the likes engine is gear driven. Will the longevity of the counter balanced engine be less? That remains to be seen. Just another .02 worth, may be worth less than that, LOL. NOW, WHERE ARE THE BROZZ's. Come on slow boat from China, kick that sucker in OVERDRIVE!!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Its really a good situation for us China Bike riders to be in. Any of them you choose you didn't really choose wrong! I will add that everyone claims that having the counter balanced engine is a plus. But the only down side to that is that engine has a chain driven oil pump whereas the Hawk and the likes engine is gear driven. Will the longevity of the counter balanced engine be less? That remains to be seen. Just another .02 worth, may be worth less than that, LOL. NOW, WHERE ARE THE BROZZ's. Come on slow boat from China, kick that sucker in OVERDRIVE!!
The only achilles heel of the counterbalanced CG engine is that chain drive on the oil pump. Chains stretch and go slack over time, and eventually after many thousands of miles that chain will need replaced. It is a potential premature failure point as compared to a gear driven unit. At least one person has had that chain fail on them. Other than that, it's a great little engine besides.

I personally have zero issues with the non-counterbalanced engine. The vibes are there on this little engine, but they aren't honestly that bad.