Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #1

Noob questions on Hawk forks

Just got my new Hawk together and have been buzzing around the property while I await the MCO. Fun!

I was getting the front bottoming out and the tire rubbing the fender during braking. Changed the fork oil (10w) and added spacers (9 nickels). It’s definitely better but still getting the tire rubbing the fender some. At 230 lbs I suspect This will need some more work.

Questions:

1. When I retightened the drain bolts at the bottom of the forks after changing the oil, they will would not fully tighten as whatever they thread in to feels like it is rotating within the fork. What do these thread in to and how can I get them tight?

2. Could I loosen the pinch bolts and slide the forks down an inch or so to get more clearance for the front tire? The forks look like they go down another 3” of travel, but as I’m inexperienced I don’t know if the position of the forks in the brackets must be kept at the factory setting.

Thanks!!!!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

The top of the fork tubes should be level with the top of the upper triple mount. The forks are slid up that high for shipping. Support the bike under the front frame/engine area, and then loosen the triples up. The forks can then be slid straight down until the top of the fork tube (not the top of the nut, just the top of the fork tube) is level with the top of the upper clamp. Let me know if you have any problems or questions, and I'll send over a picture of my triple for reference.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Those are not drain bolts, they hold the damping rods. Take the caps off the top and remove spacers and springs. Then shove a broom handle down in there to keep the rod from spinning while you tighten the bolt. An impact driver might help but don't get carried away with it and snap off the bolt.

And your forks are in shipping mode, loosen the pinch bolts and slide them down to the top of the triple tree like this.

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

We really need a sticky about "shipping mode" and "drain bolts". Because this is a common mistake newbs often make. And Motocheez needs to delete that fork oil video of him doing it wrong. There aren't any drain bolts and everything including the oil needs to come out of the top caps.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #5

Wow you guys are awesome! Yep definitely in shipping mode, that makes a lot of sense. Will adjust and tighten those bolts. Do I need to remove my new fork oil to do the broom handle trick? Yep, I watched the motocheez video for the fork oil change.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

I totally agree with one legged rider! I fell victim to motocheeze’s suggestion about the “drain bolts”. It was the biggest PITA to get those bolts tight again. I ended up getting it done with a broom stick but it took a while and was pretty frustrating.

He needs to delete that video. I too have seen many posts about it here and on Facebook. I can’t really think of a good reason to keep the video posted.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
And Motocheez needs to delete that fork oil video of him doing it wrong. There aren't any drain bolts and everything including the oil needs to come out of the top caps.
He also needs to delete the videos and all those links to "Manny" related websites... those both being deleted might give us a few less headaches around here

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

Sounds like the collective wisdom of the forum has put another rider back on track!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

Hey guys!
Sorry for the "drain bolt" mis information, I never have a problem doing it this way, (proper way is to remove forks of course) it is a "shortcut" and when I do get a dampener that spins, I use an impact, or rap on the allen with a hammer to jar the bolt to tighten it. If the spring is inside the fork it also helps.

I will try and add a note to the video!

Keep on Hawkin!

-2022 Lifan KPX250
-2023 Hawk X
-2022 Brozz Recon
-2021 Raven 250
-2022 RPS Condor w CG250
-2020 Hellcat (whitey) w ZS190
-2012 Suzuki DRZ400
- Bunch of other $heet with wheels and tracks THATS RIGHT!

MotoCheez on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/MotoCheez
MotoCheez Website.
[URL="http://www.motocheez.com[/URL]

Old 05-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #10

I didn't even have to say anything. Minimum effort! lol
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I didn't even have to say anything. Minimum effort! lol
A little birdie told him.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCheez View Post
Hey guys!
Sorry for the "drain bolt" mis information, I never have a problem doing it this way, (proper way is to remove forks of course) it is a "shortcut" and when I do get a dampener that spins, I use an impact, or rap on the allen with a hammer to jar the bolt to tighten it. If the spring is inside the fork it also helps.

I will try and add a note to the video!

Keep on Hawkin!
Thanks for chiming in. I really like your channel and most of the information, and witty commentary ofcourse. And when someone is considering a China bike your videos are usually the gateway into this dark realm, they were for me atleast. And for some this is their first motorcycle purchase.

That being said, with great power comes great responsibility. I personally would delete the entire video and make another showing the procedure done properly. As a certified tech I know a few shortcuts myself but wouldn't want newbs attempting them. JMO

Again, thanks for the great content and keep those videos coming!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #13

Got the dampener bolts tightened down with an impact driver and set the forks to the correct height. Feel really dumb about the fork height, it rides so much better now. Lol!

Thanks again guys! Never would have purchased this bike without finding this forum first and knowing I have this great resource.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #14

No worries, just send the check to frankdmaze@gmail.com