Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #1

bought a new(old) chinese atv, hasnt been run in yeats, tips?

So i bought this atv for 100$ for my kid. Its a tao tao, gio ? Or whatever, im sure they are all essentially the same. I think it is a 2008 and has been parked in storage for four years.

I am not sure what cc it is but i think its a 50. One tire needs to replaced or fixed because it doesn't hold air. Needs a new battery obviously. What kind of oil should I run in it/what else might need to be checked for it to come to life? It looks like its barely been used and still has nobblies on the tires.

Should I try cleaning the carb before Itry starting it(ive never done this before).
Also, what is a good battery choice that isnt some crap like I assume the origional probably is.
Thanks
Gordon

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Welcome Gordon!

I got the dreaded red X instead of a picture.

I'd definitely remove the carb from the quad and then remove the float bowl. Once that's off, unscrew the slow jet and main jet, and make sure you can see daylight through them. Clean all of the passages and internal surfaces with aerosol carb cleaner. Watch your eyes; that's dangerous stuff.

Most of us run 15W40 diesel oil, because it's cheap and because it's suitable for a wet clutch (either manual or centrifugal). Measure the oil level with the dipstick unscrewed. Install a new NGK spark plug; try a C8HSA in hot weather or a C7HSA in cold weather.

The air filter is probably a foam element. Clean it gently, re-oil it and squeeze out the excess.

That should get it running.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #3

Walmart batteries are fine for that purpose. If you wish, you can buy the premium AGM battery they sell, which will likely have a little more capacity and starting power.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

Ok ill give that a try. Should i try starting it before cleaning the carb or is that a bad idea?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

It's not a bad idea, but it's nice to know that the carb is clean and ready.