Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

Project XL185/CG250 swap

Hello China Riders, My First post.

I found the site through Oddballsperformance channel on YT.

I'm an Aussie approaching 40. I don't know how to ride a motorbike, I am not a mechanic.

But I wanted to learn. However if I was going to own a bike, I wanted to do it the gentleman's way and save a bike from the scrap heap, while tackling some personal mental health and life issues at the same time.

I have some inspirations from youtube JenniesGarage really struck a chord with my approach to life...many other channels also providing a wealth of information and motivation..

Well I procured a legit 'Barnfind' 1992 XL185 that had seen some on the farm treatment after it was taken off the road.

It was mostly complete with free rust. But it had the compliance plate and I got paperwork for Australian registration requirements.

I bit the bullet after the bike was kicked and popped. Took it home, and then began the journey down the rabbit hole.

Project XLsior was born.

I dropped the oil from the honda 163fml to find glitter and scrags. the Jug had been puttyied on the timing chain side, suspect fail point. and the case around drive sprocket was damaged. Now I am not a rich man and the engine diagnosis to me seemed nonviable. Could it saved? probably...but for me was not cost effective.

My project seemed done and I was tempted to just call it quits and part the bike out.

But then I stumbled upon the world of Chonda swaps. And discovered the CG200 and Cg250 are based some what on my Honda 163FML engine.

So I randomly searched Gumtree aka ozzy craigslist, low and behold a CG250 OHV was available to my 15min away for $80...

Thus the fate of my bike and the journey was saved...I think.

I have done quite a lot and made some mistakes once.

But I would not of started without the inspiration of other before me so I'm paying it forward so to speak here and share what little I have learned that might help someone else.

I'm still down the novice rabbit hole, so don't expect a professional.

Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1598396653958.jpg (157 Bytes, 2457 views)
File Type: jpg 1598396647761.jpg (157 Bytes, 2696 views)
File Type: jpg 1598396622842.jpg (157 Bytes, 2477 views)

Old 08-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #2

I am guessing due to being a new member and first post that i will not be able to upload images of the project till i get some forum cred under my belt.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

Not sure if it’s the fact your new ,or that we have been having picture issues the past week or so .
Welcome !

Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 AM   #4

Quite likely both issues then.

thanks for the welcome Bruces.

Wasn't sure where to put this thread, as there was no DIY Project engines swap sort of page.

But from what I can tell the majority of Chinese offerings in the dual sport range seem to owe and inherit a lot of Honda XL/XR tropes.

I can say that the CG250 was for the most part a direct bolt in swap with a little fudging on the top motor mount and bracket. So it might not be a complete out of the box Chinese bike, But I am finding most of the stuff that comes from China just fits* on the old XL frame.

Also I don't think the common models available in the USA are obtainable in Australia. Hawks, Brozz' tao tao etc.

I am quite deep into the project now, found it had weak compression so just ordered a new 65.5mm piston/rings recently.

But as Projects go, keeping receipts is not always suggested. Self tuition fees basically.

Last edited by XLsior; 11-05-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:24 AM   #5

Keep it coming, and also welcome! In the meantime, you could always host the photos off-site and put up links. Just out of curiosity, it's a '92, not an '82? I was also curious, if it was in fact a '92, is it monoshock, or twin? AG bike, or regular Enduro? I'm glad you chose to post here.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:39 AM   #6

Hi Franque,
It is indeed a 91/92. In Australia the XL185 was available till the early 90's. For all intesive purposes it is exactly the same as the 80's. Was painted in the Honda white frame/red tank generation. I was looking for an 80s project bike same age as me. But this 92 eventuated. It is a twin shock rear OG Dualsport, Road legal with a compliance plate for Australian regulations.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #7

Attempted resize image file upload of 92 Xl185
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XL185a.jpg (61.7 KB, 1585 views)

Old 08-26-2020, 04:51 AM   #8

The new heart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zongshen250parts.jpg (76.1 KB, 1510 views)

Old 08-26-2020, 04:53 AM   #9

Both engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XL185CG250.jpg (54.1 KB, 1526 views)

Old 08-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #10

The tear down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XLteardown.jpg (73.8 KB, 1475 views)

Old 08-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #11

That looks like an early 80’s “S” model to me other than the white frame ,as in xl185s which was the twin shocker model .Not honestly sure when we stopped getting them but guessing 1986 or so ?

Old 08-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #12

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US they stopped in 1984 (?). I thought that maybe the XR200 twinshock replaced it in 1980, but I'm not 100% certain. There definitely weren't any twinshocks in this family sold in the US after '84.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #13

the serial number denotes a 91 year of manufacture, but was compliance plated in Australia for 92.

Found a pic showing the paint codes and XL185SM label.

Also shows how crusty the bike frame was. It's currently bare metal while i figure out new brackets for custom side panels and hardware mounts.

from what 've found USA went to 83/4, Canada 87, Australia/Singapore 93.

Other than the paint scheme and cluster arrangement not much difference between years.

I could be wrong but I think up until the 90's mono shocks might not have been road legal in Australia at the time or getting them compliance plated was difficult. which might have been a reason it continued sale in Australia. Until the transport regulations changed to approve mono shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XL185SM.jpg (52.2 KB, 888 views)

Old 08-27-2020, 05:04 AM   #14

So after I finished the seat restoration I placed it back on the bike for a bit of motivation.

During the tear down i labeled the factory wiring loom and took photos to document as much of the bike configuration and fitment as possible.

Keeping it budget DIY i opted for paint stripper instead of media blasting. had to do a few application coats but it was impressive stuff.

My Bike did not have original plastic covers and i was not really interested in replacing them, So I made the decision to remove the bracketry and mounting points for them and the airbox with an added weight reduction benefit. I intend to fabricate some basic aluminum side covers..

This is a custom Resto-mod project. With the Zongshen CG250 swap the electrics will all be updated to modern 12v LED and Digital display.

Next up will be tackling the fuel tank...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the seatonbike.jpg (50.6 KB, 843 views)
File Type: jpg Stripdown.jpg (79.7 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg Wieght reduction.jpg (71.1 KB, 836 views)

Old 08-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #15

So as bike enthusiasts we can all agree that there are specific focal points to a bike, the wheels and engine draw the eye but I think we can all agree its the fuel tank that is the jewel on the crown...well maybe more so for classic metal tank bikes then modern plastics...

My XL185 was more of a sore thumb than a jewel. But it was all exterior. The inside was perfect with just a little crusty fuel varnish inside. I put a little fresh fuel in the tank and added some BB's/ball bearings to help dislodge the residue give a shake once a day till it cleaned up then used a magnet on a stick to remove the BB's

Side note: if you looking to buy a classic bike with a metal tank always look inside the tank...Dealing with a crusty internal tank is often a lost cause. Time and cost to repair typically isn't worth it.

So back to restoring the jewel. Paint strip, wire wheel, dremel the nooks, more sanding, clean, rust treat, bog and putty, more sanding, more bog and putty, sanding, etchprime, paint and clear coat.

It's all about the preparation! But this is my Beginner bike and I am going to drop it. So at some point after hours of prep you just gotta get on with it.

Important for my was that the rust was treated and the major dings were undinged*

but when you start applying paint you will notice the imperfections...

Did I mention it's all about Preparation!!!

Anyway for my first time painting a fuel tank I am happy with the result

the colour is Dupli-Color Autospray Regency Red Pearl. I was going for a Sour Cherry look.

IMO better than Honda's flame reds...

I do have new custom tank decals but I waiting till final stages of fitment before applying them. Stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tankstrip.jpg (93.4 KB, 826 views)
File Type: jpg Tank rust.jpg (69.2 KB, 830 views)
File Type: jpg Tanktreat.jpg (77.6 KB, 839 views)