Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Anyone ever heard of a "comando" mini-truck?

I am curious about this:

https://gokartsusa.com/Comando-Mini-Truck.aspx

For a whole host of reasons this checks a lot of boxes for me, but before I would consider taking the plunge, I would want to make sure I could get parts for the thing. In all fairness, since they can't even spell the name "commando" correctly, I am not filled with hope that this is going to be a good vehicle, but I figured I would put it out there just in case someone realizes that this looks like a rebadged somethingoranother that is at least somewhat reliable and I could get parts for it.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #2

That looks like a pretty cool little runabout. You had mentioned that it checks a whole lot of boxes for you, what exactly are those boxes? I have no idea about these vehicles, but I'm pretty sure it would be exactly that; a rebadged something or other that uses this part from this vehicle, and that part that was leftover from over there. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that type of setup but it really limits where you can get replacement parts.
Personally, I would go the extra little bit and look into the Mahindra Roxor. The price points aren't super close, but you're already up there in the dollar range with the mini truck. Also, the Roxor is diesel, and that checks a big box for me. Here's a link to the Mahindra page: https://www.roxoroffroad.com/
There are already a ton of videos on YouTube showing how to delete the electronic speed governor, so that makes this thing a pretty versatile 2nd vehicle. Out here in AZ, we can even register them for on-road use. I think it would be pretty cool to have a 2/3rds scale Jeep to jet around in. Sorry to get a little bit off topic on your thread, but thought this might be food for thought.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

I've seen a few of the mini trucks around here. Most are used by hunters. Parts can be found on places like Aliexpress, Alibaba and Toaboa. But I would look elsewhere to buy one. That dealer doesn't have a good reputation on here.

We have a local Mahindra Roxor dealer. Prices range from $16,000 to $18,000. I went check them out one day and they look like they are well made and parts and warranty service should be real easy to get sense you would be buying from a dealer.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #4

There are a few mini trucks around here ,they look kind of neat and the ones I have seen where all road legal .I am too cheap to buy one of those when I can pick up a $500.00 Jeep Wrangler ,Liberty ,or Chevy tracker and get parts anywhere today .

Old 02-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
...Personally, I would go the extra little bit and look into the Mahindra Roxor...
Thanks - I have been drooling over a Roxor since my bike dealer where I used to live began stocking them. They really do look like solid machines.

One of the nice things about living in Montana is that I believe it would be pretty easy for me to register the Roxor and drive it most everywhere I need to go other than the interstate. One of the drawbacks of living in Montana is the winter weather, so I would need to install a cab and a heater on the Roxor. Once all that's done, I think I would be in for close to $20k. Also, I have 3 kids, and one very attractive wife. if I wanted to run around with more than one passenger at once, I would need to install a back seat and a more comprehensive roll cage - more money.

So while the Roxor would be a great vehicle for some, to set it up for my needs would push me well above $20k and I don't think the value proposition is there for me at that price. Hence, when I stumbled across the Comando, at $11k, I thought, hmmm - probably not the best idea I have ever had, but you never know....

Old 02-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

Someone used to import the Suzuki version. After a few were made road legal, there were wrecks and people were killed. Then every DMV in the US seems to ban them from the roads. A few were reg'd as ATVs or side by sides in the states that allow it.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Yeah, I'm not thinking these are going to be terribly safe - would just use it for around town (35mph or lower areas), gravel, and easy dual track dirt roads - I live out in the sticks and traffic is always very light in town and non-existent when you get outside of it. I figure this vehicle is grossly unsafe, but still probably a lot safer than being on a motorcycle (which I ride as often as possible). If I take the whole family anywhere outside of town, I load us all up in the Suburban. That thing is a tank.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #8

Reminds me of the vehicles I saw a lot on the smaller Islands, or Cays off Grand Abaco in the Bahamas. They were used on islands where the roads were designed for nothing larger than a golf cart. Cool fun.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #9

I think that Commando Truck listing says it's an archived listing. Nice truck though

Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #10

I like this one. this thing is pretty cool

https://gokartsusa.com/rhinooutdoorinternational.aspx

I called them, they only have 1. nice guys