Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #1

Are you a year rounder?

http://www.yearroundriders.com/

I definatly get Red Hot status. Took my longest ride and a 100+ degree day.

It doesn't get below 20 very often in GA. I have ridden in the 20s here though.

Allen

Old 12-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #2

i'm a year rounder, except for today, its raining too hard

Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #3

Yes, I ride all year from -0 F to 100+F. In the winter it's a constant struggle to stay warm, takes forever to get suited up and you loose a lot of dexterity because of that. In the summer it's either toasted legs in stop n go traffic, or eating bugs on the highway. If the road is over 20% snow covered I try not to ride and while I'll ride in the rain, I don't like it. I would much rather ride in single digit temps then ride in the rain. I had a good economy car this last year so I wasn't riding as much. However, work has really died off and I decided to sell it because I couldn't afford the payments. Luckily I bought the bike when I was doing a little better last spring because my other source of transportation is an older p/u truck and while I use it for tree work a lot, it's a gas hog. Before I bought the economy car, I just had the pick up truck and a bike and it always worked out good so I'm content I'm back where I used to be.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
In the winter it's a constant struggle to stay warm, takes forever to get suited up and you loose a lot of dexterity because of that. In the summer it's either toasted legs in stop n go traffic, or eating bugs on the highway. If the road is over 20% snow covered I try not to ride and while I'll ride in the rain, I don't like it.
You're really selling me on riding!

I don't even have a street bike anymore, but I'd ride in the dirt all year if the riding area was open. I'm sure that there are other areas around, but I haven't discovered them yet. So far, that limits me to February through October.

When I was a kid in Edmonton, I used to ride on the street from February through November. I couldn't get my bike to start in the coldest weather.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

I'd rather freeze (or bake) on a bike than be warm in a cage.

Witness todays ride on Q. 15 degrees on top of the hills, light snow falling. One happy nut bundled up behind the handlbars. I have to hook up my electric gloves. Maybe a project for tonight. Heated shop

Old 12-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #6

Re: Are you a year rounder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
http://www.yearroundriders.com/

I definatly get Red Hot status. Took my longest ride and a 100+ degree day.

It doesn't get below 20 very often in GA. I have ridden in the 20s here though.

Allen
I've done a lot of trucking all over including many Atlanta runs. When your used to warmer climates and then it dips down to 20 it feels darn cold. Two of the coldest nights I've ever experienced were in Louisiana. Once while pulling gaurd duty when the temp was in the mid twenties and another time 10 years later when I was trucking I got laid over for the weekend in New Orleans. When most of the bars were closing I staggered towards my truck which was only about 1/2 mile away. I honestly think I was starting to go into hypothermia because I was shaking so violently that I was struggling to breath. It was by far the worst I've ever felt from cold and I really started to panic, yet for some reason I didn't just try to find a lobby to a building to go in a warm up. It was hard getting into the truck and getting it started but my confidence was lifted. It was bizarre. All that and it was only 40 degrees F. I've been in much colder climates out away from civilazation when I've gone backpacking, fall thru ice covered streams all the time when I go arrowhead hunting in the late winter, early spring, etc, etc, and yet I think that night in New Orleans was the worst I've ever experienced when it comes to being cold. Maybe it's just because for one I was drinking on the one occasion and on both occasions I let my guard down in how I was dressed, so yea, a 20 degree day in Atlanta can feel just as cold as a -10 degree day in South Dakota.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #7

I tollerate the heat pretty well, but I hate the cold weather. I always hate the end of fall and summer. That said I do try to find a warm day once a week or so even in the winter to go for even a short ride. I just refilled my gas can that I used to top off the bikes tank yesterday but this time I added Stabill to the can. Due to the colder weather I know I wont be riding as much.

As a kid I remember riding dirt bikes no mater what the weather it seems. A few times the ground would be frozen in the morning ad all would be fine til it thawed. All the sudden the ground would turn to mud and some of our bikes that had low fender would start getting stuck. That was always fun.

I suppose I would fall into the 40 degree and above catagory.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #8

When it is 20 here is feels cold because of the humidity. Seeps through everything.

I actually rode my honda shadow through the snow to take my test. Early April in Southern Minnesota. Only one other guy showed up.

20 there feels alot different. But at least here the roads don't have salt and sand all over them. Makes year round riding alittle safer.

I have to go for a zip on the baja so that I can say I rode this month.

Allen

Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #9

Last year I rode daily 45 miles round trip starting in January. Believe it or not, Yuma is cold (we call it the "dry cold") during the winter! I work with recent midwest transplants who agree that it is cold here :? as compared to Ohio or Minn.!! That being said, it is no big thing as we don't get snow or much of any kind of water from the sky, so a few layers of clothes over my work clothes, and a heavy leather motorcycle jacket plus a scarf and I was good to go!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #10

You get HOT too.

The problem with trying to ride year round in the midwest is the snow on the roads. It can stay around awhile.

I did have a honda moped with studded tires.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to panamarandy
I ride year round also. Even when it gets a bit chilly here in North Florida.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamarandy
I ride year round also. Even when it gets a bit chilly here in North Florida.
So do you put your heated vest on at 60F?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
You get HOT too.

I did have a honda moped with studded tires.
Yes, the heat!!!!!!!!!!

8O 8O 8O

your moped sounds like a punk rocker's dream bike!! 8)

Old 12-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #14

We could ride it year round in Northern IA with those tires. Lots of fun.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #15

I ride all I can in the winter months, but I won't ride on snow or ice. Last year we didn't get much snow in town, so I rode every month. This year will probably be different; we have quite a bit of snow on the roads right now. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894