Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #46
Banned

Thumbs Up Good to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Most Chinese engines are copies of old Honda engines. However, there are exceptions.

The ZS177MM (NC250) engine in the Zongshen RX3 is a new design, which was commissioned from an Italian firm. Of course, this engine is manufactured in Chongqing, by Zongshen.
Good information regarding the RX3 engine. So Zongshen after completing the commissioned mfg. job for an Italian company, borrowed the design for their RX3 bike's engine, if I understand you correctly.
Or did Zongshen pay an Italian design company to design and develop a modern engine for the current RX3 bike?
How many years do you think Zongshen has been building and utilizing this engine?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #47

If i were to compare the TT to anything it looks a lot like the CRF230/250. Which is not a bad thing and if it is sub 2K like has been mentioned...it will probably do quite well.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #48

The rest of the bike, yes. The motor is quite unlike a CRF; the CG pushrod motor is dependable and it makes good torque, but it's not rev-happy. The good news is that all you need to do is change the oil and set the valves once in awhile. They're quite bullet-proof.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The rest of the bike, yes. The motor is quite unlike a CRF; the CG pushrod motor is dependable and it makes good torque, but it's not rev-happy. The good news is that all you need to do is change the oil and set the valves once in awhile. They're quite bullet-proof.

So an XR style engine in a CRF style chassis more or less
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 11-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
So an XR style engine in a CRF style chassis more or less
Less. The CG is not an XR copy, other than the mounts, and the transmission to some extent. The CG is a very popular engine in South America, South Asia and the UK. It is quite reliable.

I have a few, and I love 'em.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM   #51

This history of the Honda CG is interesting.

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1975cg125/

Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #52

I had seen that story once before and it is a good read. I've traveled a lot and the CG engine is one I've seen all over the world. Someone said it is the small block Chevy of the motorcycle world, but there are way more CG engines than there will ever be small block Chevy motors. I had a 150cc CSC Mustang (another CG-engined motorcycle) that I rode to Cabo San Lucas and back; the engine never missed a beat with the throttle pegged nearly the entire 2200 miles. You can read about that ride here: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=2516

The TT Special has about the same bottom end grunt as the RX3 and it is a hoot to ride. I've only spent a little time with it off road, mostly because I prefer riding the twisties up in the mountains and I don't consider myself much of a dirt rider any more.

The TT Special really shines in the mountains (just like the RX3 does). I will probably get out on the TT again today for a bit, and if I get a chance, I will grab a few more photos. The bike is a lot of fun to ride. It is lighter than the RX3. We have four of the TT Specials in different color combos (copper, white, black with white letters and black with lime green letters). My favorite is the black one with the lime green TT lettering. Some of the guys like the copper one better. In any color, it's a very good looking motorcycle.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #53

CSC Dude, will the TT be at the IMS in Sacramento this Saturday? I emailed someone at your company about CSC being at the show and was happy to know you'd booked a spot. We will definitely be there to check out the RX3 and hopefully the TT.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to Daeouse
A very sharp look indeed!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #55

Quote:
CSC Dude, will the TT be at the IMS in Sacramento this Saturday? I emailed someone at your company about CSC being at the show and was happy to know you'd booked a spot. We will definitely be there to check out the RX3 and hopefully the TT.
We won't have the TT Special at the Sacramento show. Depending on space, we may have it at the Long Beach show.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
I had a 150cc CSC Mustang (another CG-engined motorcycle) that I rode to Cabo San Lucas and back; the engine never missed a beat with the throttle pegged nearly the entire 2200 miles.
Did you find much difference between the Hartford 150cc (Taiwan) and the 229cc Lifan (China) as far as quality issues, etc? Just curious. Also, eagerly awaiting the TT!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #57

Quote:
I had seen that story once before and it is a good read. I've traveled a lot and the CG engine is one I've seen all over the world. Someone said it is the small block Chevy of the motorcycle world, but there are way more CG engines than there will ever be small block Chevy motors. I had a 150cc CSC Mustang (another CG-engined motorcycle) that I rode to Cabo San Lucas and back; the engine never missed a beat with the throttle pegged nearly the entire 2200 miles. You can read about that ride here: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=2516

The TT Special has about the same bottom end grunt as the RX3 and it is a hoot to ride. I've only spent a little time with it off road, mostly because I prefer riding the twisties up in the mountains and I don't consider myself much of a dirt rider any more.

The TT Special really shines in the mountains (just like the RX3 does). I will probably get out on the TT again today for a bit, and if I get a chance, I will grab a few more photos. The bike is a lot of fun to ride. It is lighter than the RX3. We have four of the TT Specials in different color combos (copper, white, black with white letters and black with lime green letters). My favorite is the black one with the lime green TT lettering. Some of the guys like the copper one better. In any color, it's a very good looking motorcycle.

Will the TT eventually come to canada as well?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Will the TT eventually come to canada as well?
Yes, but we are a ways away from that. We are going through the US approval process now. Once we get that under our belts, we'll be doing the same in Canada (just as we did for the RX3).

Old 11-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Did you find much difference between the Hartford 150cc (Taiwan) and the 229cc Lifan (China) as far as quality issues, etc? Just curious. Also, eagerly awaiting the TT!!
The CSC-250 engine was manufactured by Zongshen (who's Lifan?). Both engines were bulletproof.

Now, before all the trolls get their nostrils in a twist, the first comment was made in jest. Visualize me holding up a sarcasm sign. And the second statement was offered figuratively (not literally). If you own either a CSC-150 or a CSC-250 and fire a .357 magnum into it, we will deny your warranty claim.

Steve's custom P-51 CSC-250...

The CSC-150 I rode to Cabo San Lucas and back...

Old 11-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Yes, but we are a ways away from that. We are going through the US approval process now. Once we get that under our belts, we'll be doing the same in Canada (just as we did for the RX3).
To quote Monty Burns..."Excelllent!"
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: