Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Unregulated power?

Been away for awhile.

So I've ordered various LED bulbs off Ebay and some fit and others don't. Unless I did some major hacking. The H1s for the low beams on my Subaru once again, those are two are too long to fit.

I shot a video on some of these EBAY LED bulbs. The ones that do work, seem to work pretty good.

Watch my video:

I did get some H3s that barely fit the Wal-Mart Blazer lights on my Polaris but didn't require modifying the housings. Check out my Night Rider Light I got for $13!!

So I found a use for the "larger than life" H3s. I wouldn't do this on a car but I removed the 30 watt Moped bulbs and secured these "H3s" into the housings on my Bravo 110CC ATV using silicone. I soldered a ground wire to the base.

So far they worked great.

My daughter and I were out "cruising the burbs", a subdivision next door and I noticed they quite working. Not long that but I installed an LED tail/brake light and it stopped working not long after I installed it.

Here's what I wonder. Before I rig up a voltmeter guage to the handlebars like I did on my Tomos, I'm thinking the magneto is putting out too much voltage when I rev the engine up. I kept blowing headlight bulbs on this bike until I rigged up a voltmeter and noticed the voltage would put out 12 volts at idle but shoot up to around 20 volts are full throttle. This particular bike used parts based on their Mopeds (A35 engine?). Apparently they did not install a regulator on this bike because it came with no headlight.

But this ATV is supposed to have a voltage regulator.

I checked for power and ground and I'm getting both. So the only thing I can think of is the regulator has gone bad and is causing voltage spikes blowing the bulbs.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

If it has a battery, it needs a regulator. I would think that it's either supposed to be rectified to DC, or if there's no battery, then maybe you need AC bulbs?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #3

Check the config of that 110cc
Some are half which needs http://mastercircuits.blogspot.com/2...onversion.html or https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=22211028618
正 (+) | 明 (lighting)
充 (charging) | 铁 (GND)

Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
If it has a battery, it needs a regulator. I would think that it's either supposed to be rectified to DC, or if there's no battery, then maybe you need AC bulbs?
Well the bulbs actually worked. They flickered a bit at a low idle but worked otherwise. I think they blew when I revved the engine up.

I'll do some more troubleshooting. They may just be bad bulbs altogether.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

This is an old thread but a new update. Doing a bit of troubleshooting on my Bravo 110cc ATV.

I pulled the previous LED headlight bulbs that didn't last long and checked them with a battery. They were apparently blown. Furthermore the rear LED brake/tail light I installed also didn't last long either.

So the other day I put the rear of the ATV on a cinder block and connected a voltmeter to the wires going to one of the headlight bulbs and revved the engine up to full throttle. I never saw the meter go above 12 volts. Nor did the analog meter I was using act weird like it was AC voltage (needle bouncing).

So the other day I removed the LED H1 bulbs and installed some LED H3 bulbs in my daughter's 110cc ATV. Kind of like these:

This bike originally came with those low wattage incandescent scooter bulbs which made poor contact to begin with and were always working half the time. That's the main reason I removed them. How did I install these LED H1s and H3s? I soldered a ground wire to the base and just filled in the area with RTV to hold them in place. Kind of cheesy but works.

So I revved the engine up and so far so good. Until today. Within a minute the bulbs blew again!

I can't think of what's causing these LED bulbs to blow on this mini ATV. I have used these bulbs in my cars with no problem.

I had this same thing happen with a headlight I installed on my Tomos TX-50 which uses the same engine and transmission from their mopeds but didn't come with any lights so they never installed a voltage regulator on it. I verified that on that bike, the voltage was AC and was going up to 20 volts at full throttle. So I installed this regulator and it fixed the problem.

So if the voltmeter is showing a constant voltage around 12 volts and it's DC, then what's blowing these LEDs but not the incandescents that were originally on the bike?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Well this bike came with real low wattage incandescent scooter bulbs (headlight and tail light) and those worked. Well sort of, the headlight bulbs had a bad connection and either worked or they didn't. The brake light lense was busted but the bulb worked.

But for some reason this bike does not like LED bulbs and I don't know why.

Tried 2 sets of headlight bulbs and they have blown and the rear LED brake/tail light bulbs and gave up the ghost pretty quick.