Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
I think for me, the main issue was actually the fluid and some air in the brake line up front. My rear brake was just fine. In fact, the rear locked up extremely easily right off the crate. After I changed the reservoir, replacing the brake fluid out of necessity, the front brake came easily up to standard. I did clean the rotor some, but it didn't make a visual or tactile difference that I could tell. That all together leads me to think that the issue was within the system rather than a spray coating like I thought initially.
Good idea. I think while I have the TT down, I'll flush out the fluid and put in some good DOT 4. The brakes work fine but it can't hurt to dump the stock stuff.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Good idea. I think while I have the TT down, I'll flush out the fluid and put in some good DOT 4. The brakes work fine but it can't hurt to dump the stock stuff.
Yeah. I probably won't bother with the rear brake since it works so well, but I read some reports on the facebook group of people encountering milky brake fluid, so some of them were probably contaminated with water when being installed. Like a fool, I didn't pay attention to what came out of mine as I was draining it but the difference was astounding. For one thing, I can actually make the front end dive now and could probably get the rear wheel up if I was so inclined.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
no offense Red, but "DUH!" I have shipped computers,bikes, mc's, machinery, even a 58 foot yacht to the US from China/Asia by sea. I am somewhat familiar with some of the anticorrosive substances generally employed. What i was saying was that it appears that someone may have mis-sprayed the bikes in such a way that the brake pads got contaminated. NOT just by the small veneer that would have rubbed off the rotors when the bikes were rolled out of the crates.
While I never shipped anything from China or the Republic of China, I recieved some articles from there, including sailing yachts that had something like a thin version of cosmoline applied to the metal surfaces. Also ironmongery imported from there with some very hard to remove stuff on it.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
...something like a thin version of cosmoline applied to the metal surfaces...
Ew, I'm having flashbacks to unpacking soviet-era Mosins and other such articles... That stuff's the worst.

I found that there wasn't too much on my bike, thankfully, but there might be something too fine for me to notice. However, that would indicate to me that it's not too big a problem, so I'll probably not worry about it.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #1295

Quote:
Ew, I'm having flashbacks to unpacking soviet-era Mosins and other such articles... That stuff's the worst.

I found that there wasn't too much on my bike, thankfully, but there might be something too fine for me to notice. However, that would indicate to me that it's not too big a problem, so I'll probably not worry about it.
Back when I was wrenching, I had a younger mechanic put a clutch in a Toyota. He had no idea what that "gooey stuff" was on the flywheel when he unwrapped it. He should have asked. The clutch glued shut just going around the block on the test drive. Fool thought it may just burn off. Back on the rack........

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #1296

Quote:
Back when I was wrenching, I had a younger mechanic put a clutch in a Toyota. He had no idea what that "gooey stuff" was on the flywheel when he unwrapped it. He should have asked. The clutch glued shut just going around the block on the test drive. Fool thought it may just burn off. Back on the rack........
Hopefully they kept the "gooey stuff" on the outside of our bikes if they put any on at all!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #1297

Doh!

Quote:

I hear you odd, and red too. I acquired a mil rifle or two from the former ussr, spent some hours trying to get em clean. stuff was capital NASTY!!!
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #1298

Anti corrosion... guess this is the smell I always smell when un boxing merchandise these days. Has that harbor freight smell. I couldn't stand one of those China factories, smell goes straight between the eyes and makes a thumper headache.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Anti corrosion... guess this is the smell I always smell when un boxing merchandise these days. Has that harbor freight smell. I couldn't stand one of those China factories, smell goes straight between the eyes and makes a thumper headache.
Isn't that what happens when your CSC bike has troubles too? You get a thumper headache?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #1300

Here's a bit of an update on my bike: it turns out that when I dropped it on some rocks last week, snapping the brake lever mount, I also dinged the right side engine case. It wasn't enough to cause immediate problems, but one of the assorted scratches was weeping a little oil. I could replace the case for something like 40 bucks, but I think the hole is sufficiently tiny to not need it. I drained the oil Saturday night and JB Welded the crack, letting it sit until Sunday evening to cure before I filled it back up with oil. That went just fine. I like having a bike with a sight glass for oil again. My KZ550 had one but neither Shadow nor NC700 did, and I missed it. Definitely not crucial, but it's nice to have. Anyway, I replaced the original greenish oil with some Rotella 15-W40 on Sunday and put in an hour and a half tooling around last night, putting me over 200 km. Looking at 2LZ's thread on Mrs. 2LZ's bike, I'll probably check the valves to make sure I'm not running them too tight.

I called CSC and they were happy to ship me a 17T sprocket (priority mail) without charge. They didn't hassle me at all about it. I love working with this company! It's so nice compared to the Honda dealerships in my area. They always had trouble getting parts in a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable price, so it's a relief to have such a responsive business to deal with.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #1301

Quote:
Here's a bit of an update on my bike: it turns out that when I dropped it on some rocks last week, snapping the brake lever mount, I also dinged the right side engine case. It wasn't enough to cause immediate problems, but one of the assorted scratches was weeping a little oil. I could replace the case for something like 40 bucks, but I think the hole is sufficiently tiny to not need it. I drained the oil Saturday night and JB Welded the crack, letting it sit until Sunday evening to cure before I filled it back up with oil. That went just fine. I like having a bike with a sight glass for oil again. My KZ550 had one but neither Shadow nor NC700 did, and I missed it. Definitely not crucial, but it's nice to have. Anyway, I replaced the original greenish oil with some Rotella 15-W40 on Sunday and put in an hour and a half tooling around last night, putting me over 200 km. Looking at 2LZ's thread on Mrs. 2LZ's bike, I'll probably check the valves to make sure I'm not running them too tight.

I called CSC and they were happy to ship me a 17T sprocket (priority mail) without charge. They didn't hassle me at all about it. I love working with this company! It's so nice compared to the Honda dealerships in my area. They always had trouble getting parts in a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable price, so it's a relief to have such a responsive business to deal with.
Glad to hear it's all going well!...and bummer about the case. Hope the JB Weld holds. I've seen it seal up a dime sized hole on an old Sachs motor (DKW) I used to race against when I was a teenager. He raced it like that for 2 seasons!

You're going to like the 17T sprocket. Gives it some legs.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #1302

Quote:
Glad to hear it's all going well!...and bummer about the case. Hope the JB Weld holds. I've seen it seal up a dime sized hole on an old Sachs motor (DKW) I used to race against when I was a teenager. He raced it like that for 2 seasons!

You're going to like the 17T sprocket. Gives it some legs.
That's my hope with the JB Weld. It was a pretty tiny crack, maybe 1/8" long and 1/16" or less pushed back into the case. After running it last night for about 40 km and 1.5 hours, I couldn't find any leakage around the weld. Love that stuff!

As for the sprocket... well, I'm just super excited about it. I can already get to 50 without trouble and 55 is the top (both indicated) so I'm hoping to get another 10 or so out of it with the extra couple of teeth on the front. If that doesn't quite do it, I've got my eye on the Mrs. 2LZ thread and the sprocket thread so I'll be able to get the performance up to where it needs to be. I know I'm pushing the top end of the bike some, but frankly, I'm okay with that.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 AM   #1303

Doh!

So I know the speedo is mph but the odo is mph as well right? And the trip is km? Am I getting that right?

Old 07-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDualRider View Post
So I know the speedo is mph but the odo is mph as well right? And the trip is km? Am I getting that right?
On mine, speedometer is in mph and is pretty accurate. Odometer and trip odometer are in km.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #1305

doh, forgot about odometer being in KM. I guess I'll to revise down my gas mileage calculation... will have to double check odometer units against my cell phone gps speedometer.