Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

2021 csc rx4

I just ordered my new 2021 Sapphire Blue CSC RX4 and will utilize this thread to post pictures and any developments during the process..

Ordering Process: called CSC and ordered via the phone

Delivery Estimate: 6-8 weeks (OUCH!)

Format: completely as stock, no add-on's. I researched the need for an ABS-defeat switch and realized that its most likely not a necessity for the light off-roading that i may encounter. I also didn't think id be needed the large aluminum skid plate but will order that with free shipping if i think i may need it later.

Cost: $5395 delivered

Insurance Quote: $230/ full coverage per year ($50/ded comp/coll)

I'm excited about this bike as it will be my first true adventure bike, the Brozz is better at dual-sport work, and i will probably just use it to ride local dirt/gravel with my son until he's ready to move from the Tao DBX1 to the Brozz and then i'll already have the RX4 to ride with him.

Maintenance Plans:
Oil change at 500 miles
Valve adjust at 5000 miles
Everything else as shown in maint schedule: i doubt this bike will need a tear down as extensive as i did with the Brozz and/or performance mods

Mod Plans: i don't plan much at this time, but ofcourse time will tell. As of now the only thing i can think of is to add a cell phone mount

Usage: i plan to use this bike almost extensively for touring with occasional dirt/gravel roads. It will serve as my primary do-it-all bike and especially serve the needs where the Brozz doesn't shine, ie.. highway and long-distance touring.

I will add pictures and more when it eventually arrives.. counting the days..

Adventure Awaits

5/12/21: Just arrived.. delivery was seamless.. a giant 80 foot trucks loaded with all kinds of other bikes.. mine was on the second level and was lowered via liftgate.. all in all about 15 minutes...
I noticed very minor paint chips on the brake lever, but all else was perfect..

Initial Impressions:
The bike looks great, love the color, features and how she feels, a proper road bike, not flimsy feeling at all but instead great fit and finish as others have said..
I was able to transfer my cell mount from the Brozz over to the RX4 and was a simple hookup on the left side next to the clutch perch. I also added a usb line over for charging and connected directly to the dash, very nice!
Cell mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were a few things that i probably rushed and should have read the tutorials a bit more, for instance, i went to unscrew the windshield knob and couldn't get it to budge without using pliers wrapped in a towel.. i thought to myself, this doesn't make sense, and later read that you lift up on the windshield and then can easily turn the knob lol..
Also, i guessed my way thru adjusting the time and then later read the instructions..
Kinda bummed that temp has to remain in Celsius and Air Pressure in Bar, oh well, will memorize the conversions on those.
I did notice that the screen color seems to change while riding and alternates between orange and white, not sure if its an auto-sense darkness thing or what, but i will research that further..

The Ride:
As others have noted, the clutch is a bit grabby and requires a bit of feathering for smooth takeoffs and shifts, but that may change for the better with some miles.
The exhaust sounds great as it is, not super quiet as the Brozz was and not as loud as it is with the Stonemen Exhaust... i'd say its somewhere in-between those two.
I tried keeping her under 6k during the ride, staying off highway, and limited myself to backroads and 55mph roads.. She feels really good, i can feel the power and torque and it is there and there is plenty more on tap as i never went past half-throttle nor over 6k rpm and i know that there is more power to be had.. Once i pass the 500 mark break-in ill probably let her rev much higher between shifts..
The biggest and most pleasing part i noticed was how smooth she rides on the road, and at speed. got up to around 70mph (non-corrected) in 6th gear and she felt rock solid and so smooth, just begging to keep flowing down the road at higher speeds..
Wind protection is good, definitely better than the Brozz lol with the mini screen i installed.. I plan to experiment with different positions to see which fits me best.. I did notice some wind buffeting at once point with my helmet visor up.
Luggage: Awesome! Such a nice change of pace for me as none of my former bikes ever came with or had any significant amount of luggage space.. id carry a collapsible backpack for any kind of items id pickup usually... but damn, im feeling spoiled now.. i loaded up one of the side bags with all of the items i carried on the Brozz in the tailbag.. a carry-pouch, collapsible backpack, portable jump-starter, cargo net, bungee, some tools, etc.. and still had more space leftover..
I loaded the other side bag with my half-helmet and shades in case i ever want to switch up during a ride or for a passenger.. The top-box is still empty and can be used for shopping, planned trips, or throwing a sweater or jacket in when the temps get too hot.
Fuel Range: I only hit 50 miles so far.. she was i think at half tank off the truck as indicated and now the fuel light it blinking.. MPG shows 65 mpg which is nice.. Will fill-up and see what kind of range i get.

Comfort: Ergonomics are very good, i sit upright and comfortably have enough room. I did notice that the seat is a bit on the stiff side, hopefully it breaks in over time.

Off-Road:
I did take her on a short stint off-road, around a trail i had previously carved out on my property.. i did notice that due to the tall 1st gear, you have to really feather the clutch on very slow maneuvers, but other than that she rode fine around the dirt trail.. I also rode on a gravel road for a few miles and again, rode very well.. Now when it comes to anything serious such as high hill climbs or more challenging off-road terrain, ill just call on the Brozz for those days, as i dont think the RX4 will do nearly as well as the lighter and knobbier and lower geared Brozz on that type of terrain, but again, she'll mainly be my road-going/tourer so it works

Overall: very happy so far! I'll add more to the review as i put more miles on her!

5/19: VA inspected, registration appt next week. Have alittle over a hundred miles now
A few observations and tweaks:
1. I needed to adjust the front bars forward a bit as i was feeling cramped
2. This seat is pretty hard! i'm hoping it softens up else ill have to look into a cushion.. suggestions welcome
3. I noticed i can put my legs up onto the crash guards as a makeshift highway peg, probably a bit goofy lol but it works
4. Added some grip puppies, they feel good
5. Have a windscreen extender on order: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081QZL2WY...roduct_details
6. Seat cushions(to try and see if any help) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alternate purchase made to compare and will settle on which of the two products works better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7. Throttle lock: had this on a past bike and proved useful plus at this price its practically free - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5/21:
A few more observations:
1. This thing is great on gas, have been averaging 67-69mpg.. I've been keeping her under 6k and not full throttling so that may go down later
2. A bit loud under load.. I'm actually surprised that the stock exhaust is on the louder side, contrasting to the Brozz which was like a whisper.. It's not necessarily bad but under load, ie throttled up an incline, gives a resonating tone inside the full helmet, not really noticeable though with the half helmet
3. Handling is great, I can go around most twisties without braking and have little worry about scraping a peg.. I'm still learning the bike so not pushing too far, but im happy
4. Tires are very street oriented and smooth on road..i may test off road and see how she grips a hill out of curiosity

Received and tested the beads.. all i can say is.. kinda weird.. sometimes they vibrate lol but dont seem to help much with comfort although since positioned towards the front, it seems to make the seat more flat so thats a plus.. waiting on the air cushion, i suspect that should be better than the beads.

5/23:
Update: Received and installed the air cushion. Inflated to about 60-70% and installed it so that it sat closer towards the front so as to level out the seat. Additionally i added thick double-sided tape pieces to the bottoms of the front rubber legs to sit slightly higher. After a short test ride its definitely an improvement over stock. I plan to take a longer ride and then see how they do as well.

5/27:
Update: not happy with the air cushion.. it helps but is awkward and adds too much height to the seat and it just looks damn ugly..

So.. i decided to take matters into my own hands, poor man style.. i had some foam lying around, cut it to guesstimated size, carefully removed staples from one side and positioned it under the seat cover and later stapled back up.. never did anything like that before but it was surprisingly easier than i had imagined. It leveled out the seat and definitely feels more comfortable. After doing this and learning the ropes, i decided to go one step further and order the real deal gel cushion polyurethane that can be cut to size and inserted. I settled on the 14x14x.4 gel as i didnt want to spend too much especially since ive never used the stuff before.
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/11478590605...53.m2749.l2649
From reviews ive read i think it should be a great upgrade and if it winds up being not thick enough, i can try to combine it with the 1" foam that i already cut to size. This foam is very compacting and squeezes down flat so by itself its not a perfect solution but im sure replaced with the polyurethane or combined with it, it would be awesome.

5/31: Did the 500 oil change today.. so easy.. there was quite a bit of sludge/metal on the end of the drain plug that i cleaned off. The 2 strainers had very little amount of metal flakes. I replaced the paper filter with a mesh one and filled 2 qt Rotella 15w40 and i pleasantly noticed it clicked nicely into neutral when parking after a short test spin.

6/1: Loosenedd up the rear shock pre-load rings to allow more movement as the rear was stiff as a board before. Also loosed the chain a tad as it was too tight as well.

6/4: While riding today, i noticed a yellow wrench start flashing on my display and i had an o-s#$@ moment thinking it was the check engine. I later realized it must be a service light and called CSC to ask how to reset it.. pretty simple, with ignition on just hold the Select button and it should go away. The bike is at 650 miles btw.

6/5: Modified stock windscreen to add 1" height

Update:
6/7: Added momentary ABS-disable switch

Ordered this to try out and see if i can raise the windscreen further:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Based on measurement shown for the similar part for a newer CB500x it should use work with the new holes i drilled

6/9: Added CB500x windshield extension bars to raise windscreen to a total of 2-3" over stock height

6/12: Installed 14x14 gel pad in addition to 1" foam layer into seat

7/2: Final tweak to the seat.. end result: 2 14x14 (1cm each) gel pads plus 2 (1" each) foam pieces. I also loaded a few foam pieces under the front portion of the seat between the plastic tray and the stock foam to raise and level the seat. It's now as good as it can get and very comfortable.

8/20: Sold.. Plan to replace with a cruiser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210512_122348_resized (002).jpg (107.1 KB, 1611 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_124320_HDR_resized (002).jpg (122.3 KB, 1489 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_122423_resized (002).jpg (117.1 KB, 1422 views)
File Type: jpg 20210513_104835_HDR_resized.jpg (72.0 KB, 1400 views)
File Type: jpg 20210612_143007_resized.jpg (80.5 KB, 1357 views)

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Last edited by tknj99; 08-21-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

Note that there is an active RX4 thread over at AdvRider.....you will see familiar names as well as some new ones.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Note that there is an active RX4 thread over at AdvRider.....you will see familiar names as well as some new ones.
Out of curiosity, do they have an active RX3 thread? I can still see that bike filling in a niche, not to mention CSC sold quite a few of them over the years.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Out of curiosity, do they have an active RX3 thread? I can still see that bike filling in a niche, not to mention CSC sold quite a few of them over the years.
Yes, search for "*CSC 250 RX-3 Cyclone" and it will pop up. Currently the third link down on a DDG search query.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
I just ordered my new 2021 Sapphire Blue CSC RX4 and will utilize this thread to post pictures and any developments during the process..

Ordering Process: called CSC and ordered via the phone

Delivery Estimate: 6-8 weeks (OUCH!)

Format: completely as stock, no add-on's. I researched the need for an ABS-defeat switch and realized that its most likely not a necessity for the light off-roading that i may encounter. I also didn't think id be needed the large aluminum skid plate but will order that with free shipping if i think i may need it later.

Cost: $5395 delivered

Insurance Quote: $230/ full coverage per year ($50/ded comp/coll)

I'm excited about this bike as it will be my first true adventure bike, the Brozz is better at dual-sport work, and i will probably just use it to ride local dirt/gravel with my son until he's ready to move from the Tao DBX1 to the Brozz and then i'll already have the RX4 to ride with him.

Maintenance Plans:
Oil change at 500 miles
Valve adjust at 5000 miles
Everything else as shown in maint schedule: i doubt this bike will need a tear down as extensive as i did with the Brozz and/or performance mods

Mod Plans: i don't plan much at this time, but ofcourse time will tell. As of now the only thing i can think of is to add a cell phone mount

Usage: i plan to use this bike almost extensively for touring with occasional dirt/gravel roads. It will serve as my primary do-it-all bike and especially serve the needs where the Brozz doesn't shine, ie.. highway and long-distance touring.

I will add pictures and more when it eventually arrives.. counting the days..

Adventure Awaits

*edit*: ugh did i really just forget to capitalize the thread title (face palm)
Congratulations on the new RX4!

Owning one myself I know that you will be pleased with the bike and its capabilities; it's definitely a step up from your Brozz - several steps actually. The RX4 will do what you want as far as gravel, fire roads, and touring (both single and two-up) go, without issue. Depending on your back side, I would consider adding the Seat Concepts upgrade seat with the firmer foam to the bike. Also, I recommend adding the aluminum switch housing, either single or dual (I have the dual), plus the necessary switches, for the Accessory circuits to your order so that you can conveniently control anything electrical that you add via those circuits. The ones that CSC sells are light years ahead of anything that you will be able to source yourself; they look OEM when installed on the bike. Apart from those things, I can't see anything else that your RX4 would need. The 2021 already has tubeless wheels and three piece luggage stock, so you are covered there. Now you just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive, which is pretty much the hardest part.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #6

Thanks guys!

@pyoungbl: yeap i registered on ADVrider and posted in the new member section last nite @Working_ZS: thanks for that info, i will inquire on the switch housing.. i placed my order yesterday but maybe not too late still

Old 03-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #7

That new TFT Display looks pretty wicked too

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 04-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Andy View Post
That new TFT Display looks pretty wicked too
Yea really looking forward to it.. will be the most hi-tech bike i've ever had

Old 04-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #9

Yes the new screen looks great. Look forward to hear how you like the new bike.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:17 AM   #10

Which insurer gave you this rate?

Old 04-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
Which insurer gave you this rate?
Safeco

Old 04-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #12

Yay! Just got the haulbikes confirmation today:

Estimated Delivery Date Between:
Pick Up and 27.Apr.2021

If that is accurate then it is a 4-week wait time vs the 6-8 weeks that they initially forecast

Old 04-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #13

It looks like CSC just added a $150 shipping fee to new orders.. glad i ordered prior to that, every bit helps

Old 04-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #14

Grin Rx4

I did bought mine few days ago. I did pay for the shipping but still is a lot bike for the money. Estimated drop of date is May 14. I can’t wait. I currently have 2012 NC700 Dct for almost 9 years with 68000 miles. It’s great bike for commuting. But I do miss the clutch and need something with more ground clearance and cheap so I could beat the shit out it.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #15

All of these are making me really want to order one now. Let me do more maintenance on the KPM, then get ready to list it for sale. Lol.