Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Orion RXB owners & other "dirt bikes"

RXB150 and maybe RXB250 Owners
While listed as “street legal” on Onion’s site, you can add Colorado to California where these can’t be titled and plated.
I spent an hour or so at the Colorado DMV and the end result was a list of requirements which included a photo of the EPA sticker on the frame certifying the bike as street qualified. I will post a PDF of the rules they gave me soon.
I know that Orion has warnings that their street legal status should be checked on with the local DMV. But, until you buy the bike and go to the DMV with the VIN and papers/MCO/insurance, you don’t know if it will be accepted for title and plating. So, it is a big crap-shoot.
Lucky for me that the only reason I wanted plates was to ride from trail to trail, but others expect to be able to do street Motard, so in Colorado anyway they are out of luck.
These rules apply to all dirt bikes that are being “converted” to street, but there are some exceptions for bikes older than 2006.
Do not buy a bike from ANY vender, regardless of having lights, turn signals, horn, etc., if you are in Colorado or California. Maybe this will happen in other states too.
Still loving my RXB150XL!

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 08-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #2

I finally plated mine in Maine after 4 months ha ha. I didn't bother using the paperwork that ORION sent me to get a title for it. In Maine anything sub 300cc only requires a bill of sale. "My dad sold it to me" and I paid 69 bucks to get it plated. I thought about getting a title to make it easier to sell to someone out of state, but after riding it there is no way in hell I'll sell this bike. I just passed "2000" miles with minor repairs. I'm going to do a review soon, just need to write it up. Honestly this is my favorite bike I've ever owned. It's like a grom but 10x as fun!

Old 08-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
Do not buy a bike from ANY vender, regardless of having lights, turn signals, horn, etc., if you are in Colorado or California. Maybe this will happen in other states too. [/FONT][/SIZE]
Still loving my RXB150XL!
Believe it or not, there are several bikes that are Red Sticker (offroad legal for certain times of the year) according to the official emissions agency in California, aka CARB. Several models of Pitster Pro, the Kayo T4 are among Red Sticker bikes legal at certain times of the year offroad in California. In the past, member 2LZ had brought up a point about federal lands located in California may be legal to ride a Red Sticker bike year-round, but no update. The Apollo Deluxe bike which is 49-state EPA/DOT legal is actually Green Sticker (more desirable because Green status allows year-round riding) according to CARB, but also on the list is the '36' offroad-only bike which is also Green Stickered.

The reason I bring this up is my short 18 or so months I lived back in California starting in January 2018 to last September reminded me of why getting a dual-sport would be preferable to most offroad-only bikes; for several months leading up to December 21, the days are short and night comes on quickly, usually by about 4:45 PM. If one is in higher elevation, it gets fairly cold as well once the sun goes down, whereas in the day, it might have been a somewhat warm day. Since the days are very short, you might get caught up in the ride and find yourself miles away from base. You would want as much lighting to help you get out of there. Of course, turn signals will be ditched, but a street headlight and taillight (for better visibility especially in dusty areas) should prove more effective than enduros that come with non-DOT lights.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

I plan on getting one of these if the ever get back in stock. I live in GA so shouldn’t be a problem to tag. What carb are you guys putting in? I keep seeing the one that comes on it is junk. Also is the front sprocket the same as the hawk?

Old 08-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

Tag it in Vermont, or try a smaller, more rural DMV; they tend to be more permissive.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

@motorcyclelove The Nibbi 28mm is the hot setup for the Orion RXB250 , i am not sure what the 150 guys run .,but i'd think the VM22 Mikuni clone ought to be able to pull a 150 cc engine ,or a molkt .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #7

A guy on YouTube says 26 Nibbi is way to go on the 150.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #8

RXB150 Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
I plan on getting one of these if the ever get back in stock. I live in GA so shouldn’t be a problem to tag. What carb are you guys putting in? I keep seeing the one that comes on it is junk. Also is the front sprocket the same as the hawk?
Not sure if you mean RXB150 or RXB250. For the 250...I think they are now supplying with the Nibbi PE28 stock. You would also get the new (true) 250 cc engine (well...249cc I think).

For my RXB150, I managed to get the "stock" Mikuni VM26 Flange mount to work well after just about 3 jet changes. However, I am going to swap over to a Mikuni VM26-606, which is spigot mount. It also has a plunger type choke rather than butterfly.

Search under RXB150, my user name Goob, and another user called ss27gogeta. He did the VM26-606 swap right away because he hated the stock carb.

I got mine previously for my TT250 from Dennis Kirk (best price and reputable). I am changing the TT250 to a Nibbi PE28, so have the Mikuni available.

In either case, you need a spigot intake manifold, we both got ours for the 150 from TBOLTUSA.com. There are a couple of these, just e-mail them to make sure you have the right one...or look at ss27gogeta post for the right one. For the 250, if you are buying new...you won't have to worry about it.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 08-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #9

VM22 too small..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
@motorcyclelove The Nibbi 28mm is the hot setup for the Orion RXB250 , i am not sure what the 150 guys run .,but i'd think the VM22 Mikuni clone ought to be able to pull a 150 cc engine ,or a molkt .
The VM22 is too small. They come stock with the VM26 flange mount. It is OK if you are patient tuning. Next best is to change out to a true Mikuni VM26-606 spigot mount.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #10

Nibbi PE 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
A guy on YouTube says 26 Nibbi is way to go on the 150.
The thing with the Nibbi's is that their idle and pilot screws are on the right side, which is perfect for most Hawk style bikes (my TT250 included).

Other carbs, such as the VM26-606, have the idle and pilot screws on the left. It works OK on my TT250, but only the idle screw is available once installed, as the pilot screw is blocked by the frame.

A Nibbi on a 150 would have these issues...since you would have difficult access to the right side screws. That is why the VM26-606 is better...left hand screws.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 08-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #11

Awesome info guys!