Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #1

2008 KLR650 Lightening Project

Thought I would post this here, as it has been a big part of the slow down on my other project. I decided to rebuild my gas-powered '08 KLR650 after my CVT manufacturer went belly up. This has slowed the diesel bike build down to a crawl as I'm waiting for the new CVT to arrive in the US. I'm still working on the diesel bike but most of my time has been spent on the gas KLR. I need to get a bike up and running, so that I can ride this year. The Diesel KLR is getting the stock forks and brakes from this KLR. As you can see I've swapped the forks. I've also added an aluminum KLR600 subframe to the diesel build. After the gas-powered KLR is finished, I'll start back on the diesel build. Probably in a couple of weeks.

Here are a few pictures of my 2008 Lightened KLR650. Just waiting for the last of the parts to arrive. Most of the mockup has been done. I still need to add a couple of radiator mounts and to make a few inner fender mounts for the subframe. You'll notice that the bike has 2008 Kawasaki KX450F USD MX forks. These have become a bolt-on modification now since Emig Racing has released a KX/KLR conversion steering stem. It's an awesome mod. My KX forks were rebuild, revalved and resprung by MX-Tech Inc. The first picture shows that all the extra tabs have been cut from the frame and subframe. As much as possible, all the unnecessary weight has been removed from the bike. Long range plans include a Rekluse auto-clutch and to remove the rear brake lever and the clutch lever. The bike has a cycleracks.com rear rack to haul gear and the Renazco +2 custom Rally seat was the one pricey item that I had to have. The seat will make long trips much easier on my backside. The Trail Tech X2 headlight and Vapor Stealth computer will be here next week. I'll add a small windscreen to the headlight at some point. For now, I'll be using a stock 2009 KLR wiring harness but the stock '08 KLR harness is being cut to the bare minimum. The wiring on these things is crazy. It's got to go. Only the starting, charging and ignition circuits will remain. A ProCycle add-on lighting harness will take care of the lighting.

My plan for this bike is to make it a do everything dualsport motorcycle. I want to tour on it but I still want the option of taking it off-road. A rear siderack system will be added to mount Pelican hardbags for longer trips. The rear rack (pictured) will haul whatever I can strap down to it for weekend camping trips. Two drybags will do for most trips. More rear suspension travel has been added with 2007 KLR650 Uni-Track linkage and a RICOR IAS (inertial) shock. It also has front and rear Galfer 'Wave' rotors. New Excel wheels are next on the list for Summer mods. The bike will soon have all new LED signals, taillight and a Halogen X2 headlight. All of the frontend parts are stock KX450F. From the axle to the mastercylinder.

What do you think? How did I do? :wink:

SamM

Fairing mounts and subframe tabs removed. Frame painted.

2008 KX450F USD fork conversion.

Minus the bodywork.

Removed the sidepanels and mounts. This is it. Just the headlight to add.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #2

Your KLR is beautiful, Sam! How much weight do you think you pared from the bike?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #3

Thanks SpudRider! :wink: I'm liking the looks of the bike a lot. Can't wait to ride it. The suspension is going to be a huge improvement.

Realistically, I'm hoping that the total weight removed is around 50lbs. The KX USD forks weigh more that the stock conventional forks but when you add up the weight of the KLR trees, KLR wheel, brake, axle etc... the KX450F parts weigh much less! Most of the KLR parts are steel. The KX parts are aluminum. If I can get it between 325 and 350lbs, I'll be very happy. Anything lower is gravy! Dry it weighed 386lbs. but that is straight from Kawasaki, so I don't know if it's accurate.

The parts that I have removed include:

steel handlebars
steel bars ends
handguards
mirrors
steel mastercylinder
brakelines
steel brakeline retainers
footpegs
passenger pegs
side panels & mounts
tank shrouds
fairing
fairing stay & frame mount
headlight
windscreen
stock gauges
steering lock
helmet lock
speedometer drive
speedometer cable
turnsignals
radiator
fan
steel fuel tank
KLR steel forks
plastic fork boots
steel trees
steel steering stem
KLR front wheel
steel axle
steel axle spacers
steel brake caliper
front & rear rotors
inner fender
KLR front fender
rear rack
header heatshield
KLR rear shock
'08 KLR rear linkage
KLR chainguard
plastic chain block and metal mounts
KLR plastic skidplate
oil drain plug
Many pounds of fasteners, bags of them!

The parts that I have added include:

Moose Racing aluminum handlebars
MR handguards
folding KTM mirrors
Aluminum KX450F mastercylinder
braided brakelines
plastic & aluminum brakeline retainers
MR footpegs
Trail Tech X2 headlight
Trail Tech Vapor computer
ProCycle LED turnsignals
2007 KLR radiator
'07 fan
IMS plastic fuel tank
KX aluminum forks
KX plastic fork guards
KX aluminum trees
Emig Racing aluminum steering stem
KX wheel
KX axle
KX aluminum axle spacers
KX aluminum caliper
much lighter Galfer wave rotors
KX front fender
cyclerack.com rear rack
billet RICOR IAS shock
'07 rear linkage
WR250X chainguard
JNS skidplate
magnetic low profile oil drain plug

As you can see a lot was removed. Many parts were not replaced. We'll have to see what happens when I weigh it.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #4

Everything looks great, Sam! I am sure the new forks will improve the suspension, and they look beautiful. The paint job is also beautiful. If you have lost anything close to 50 pounds off the stock weight, you will have vastly improved the offroad capabilities of your motorcycle. Please do let us know the results when you get a chance to weight the bike!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #5

SpudRider,
Believe it or not, that isn't paint! That's the finish of the plastic parts. All the painted bodywork has been removed. Only the frame has paint on it now.

There is still much to do but I will weigh it as soon as I can. I'm starting to get very curious as to what I got it down to. All I know is that it's much easier to roll around now.

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it! Here's the headlight that I just purchased. Disregard the orange! I got the black Trail Tech X2 dualsport version with the red Trail Tech graphics.

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
...Only the frame has paint on it now...
Yes, I was talking about the paint job on the frame; it looks beautiful. The plastic looks beautiful, also. In particular, the 6.6-gallon, IMS fuel tank looks wonderful on your bike. I have never seen a better looking KLR.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #7

Sorry, I thought you meant the plastics. The factory type primer and paint was purchased from Color-Rite. They are great to work with and the paint matches perfectly. It comes in aerosol spray cans. It's a little pricey but well worth the cost.

The IMS tank also matches up perfectly with the factory Kawasaki plastics. I'm actually thinking that I may buy a 5 gallon IMS tank. The 6 gallon tanks holds more like 7 gallons and is huge. For shorter trips the 5 galllon tank would be much better and it will cut the weight.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
...The factory type primer and paint was purchased from Color-Rite. They are great to work with and the paint matches perfectly. It comes in aerosol spray cans. It's a little pricey but well worth the cost...
Thank you for the information on the Color-Rite spray paint, Sam. The Color-Rite website is great. It's too bad, but they don't seem to match paint for the KTM motorcycles. :(
Quote:
...The IMS tank also matches up perfectly with the factory Kawasaki plastics. I'm actually thinking that I may buy a 5 gallon IMS tank. The 6 gallon tanks holds more like 7 gallons and is huge. For shorter trips the 5 galllon tank would be much better and it will cut the weight.

SamM
Indeed, the color match on the IMS tank is perfect! I bet you lost a lot of weight switching from the steel, factory fuel tank to the plastic ,IMS fuel tank. Especially with the lighter bike, I bet a 5-gallon tank would work well for you.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #9

Very very nice project.
I call my KLR650 the tractor. It doesn't even bother me at all when I drop it. Your bike is truly nice.
Saving for the BMW F800GS.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #10

That is one sweet looking unit! Please be sure to post some pics with the headlight and signals on it once you get them all . I'm also very curious as to what it weighs now, looks like you have shaved a ton off of it by your parts list!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #11

The new Trail Tech X2 headlight is on the bike. It sat a little low so I made a small bracket to support and raise it. I also installed the stock muffler back on it temporarily. A new FMF header and a new muffler will be ordered, as soon as I decided what muffler to buy. Still looking for a good one. I'll be welding a few tabs to the frame to support the inner fender. My new welder and the steel that I need are here. Swapped my new Lincoln Electric 180 MIG for a 140. The 140MIG runs on 120V and will do everything I need to do.

Better pictures next week. It's raining and I'm at work.

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #12

The headlight looks great, Sam. Thank you for posting all the superb photos, and sharing this interesting project with us!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #13

SpudRider,
Thanks for the kind words about my project. I like the positive feedback and it keeps me on track. Riding season is upon me and I need this thing on the road. The '08 is a great starting point in my opinion but this could be done with any KLR. Many consider it an entry level bike but I think it's just a great bike. For the money you can't really beat it.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #14

Quote:
SpudRider,
Thanks for the kind words about my project. I like the positive feedback and it keeps me on track. Riding season is upon me and I need this thing on the road. The '08 is a great starting point in my opinion but this could be done with any KLR. Many consider it an entry level bike but I think it's just a great bike. For the money you can't really beat it.

SamM
The '08 is the new version of the KLR650, isn't it? I hear they made a number of significant improvements to the newer KLRs. However, I didn't care for the large fairing, and the added weight of the newer KLRs; in my opinion, you have solved those problems quite nicely! If you don't mind, please tell me more about how you removed the fairing. Also, I assume you needed the '07 radiator to accommodate the aftermarket fuel tank; am I correct? This bike is absolutely beautiful!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #15

'08 KLR650

Quote:
The '08 is the new version of the KLR650, isn't it? I hear they made a number of significant improvements to the newer KLRs. However, I didn't care for the large fairing, and the added weight of the newer KLRs; in my opinion, you have solved those problems quite nicely! If you don't mind, please tell me more about how you removed the fairing. Also, I assume you needed the '07 radiator to accommodate the aftermarket fuel tank; am I correct? This bike is absolutely beautiful!

Spud
Spud,
Yes, my KLR650 is the new '08 version. Here's what it looked like at 23 miles. I started farkling it the day I got it.

New 19/17" Excel wheels and LED signals

The new fairing and windscreen originally drew me to '08 KLR. I was riding a new KTM 950 Adventure S at the time, but was looking for something more simple and much lighter. I needed a bike to ride on long trips, so the windscreen was important. A buddy let me ride his '08 KLR650 and I really liked it. In fact, I like it so much that after a trip to Deal's Gap, I vowed to never ride the 950 again. Got the new KLR for Christmas a couple of months later. Never did like the red color, so here's the second version of my KLR.

Spruce Knob, WV. Same bike.

Hellbender Burritos in Thomas

Cool Springs, WV.

You're right about the '07 radiator. The IMS tank requires that conversion. The '08 radiator doesn't fit with the IMS fuel tank. The good part is that I easily sold the stock '08 radiator for enough ($450) to do the '07 radiator conversion (about $350). The '07 radiator needs a new screen and a new fan switch. I actually got all that for less than $350. The fairing, fairing stay, stay mount and gauges were all removed from the bike easily. All of it unbolted but the mount. I cut the mount off the frame with an angle grinder. Cleaned the frame with a sanding paddle and then repainted the frame. If you didn't know it was there, you couldn't tell. Turned out great. The gauges were sold for $200. That cash and the leftover money from the radiator paid for all my Trail Tech parts. The conversion will also need a couple new radiator mounts. I hope to finish those this coming weekend. It's all pretty much straightforward stuff. The electrical part of the project will be the worst. These bikes have way too much wiring. The safety interlocks will not be reused. Well, maybe for a little while. I wanna RIDE. The vacuum operated fuel valve was ditched long ago, just like the sidestand safety switch. Leave it down once and you'll never forget it again. Back in the old days we didn't have those anyway. I like simple and light. This bike is an exercise in weightloss. I'm looking to remove much more, if I can! The heavy muffler and stock header are next on the hit list.

Again, thanks for the kind words Spud. I just want to say that I've enjoyed reading about your Zongshen. I have one of those also. You've done some great mods there. Sorry for the late reply to your post. Had a long weekend at work. :wink: I'll try to take some good pictures of the bike tomorrow with a better background. I got a little more done today. The headlight is raise up and secure and the new KTM Military mirrors are on it. Nice!

SamM

Re-adjusted and raised headlight mounting bracket
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E