Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

72 CT 70 - Should I bite?

Found this on craigslist, doesn't run, needs work, $100
http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1737388692.html

I always thought these were neat little bikes, could take it on as a project (after the cl350 is done). He's asking $100, but it is non running with no registration and it looks like other then engine work it would need quite a bit of tlc / parts (a seat for example) to get it looking good again. Thoughts?

edit: adding pictures for when CL ad disappears

Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

Re: 72 CT 70 - Should I bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Found this on craigslist, doesn't run, needs work, $100
http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1737388692.html

I always thought these were neat little bikes, could take it on as a project (after the cl350 is done). He's asking $100, but it is non running with no registration and it looks like other then engine work it would need quite a bit of tlc / parts (a seat for example) to get it looking good again. Thoughts?
If it could be plated and/or registered I bet a Lifan engine would slip right in there if you couldn't get the Honda motor running. Then you could part out the Honda motor on eBay and the project might pay for itself.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #3

That's a good idea... I bet most of the parts are compatible... I should be able to get it plated, it just takes some time doing a title search and involves a notary. I forget how much the whole process costs, maybe $30 plus the notary fee...

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
That's a good idea... I bet most of the parts are compatible... I should be able to get it plated, it just takes some time doing a title search and involves a notary. I forget how much the whole process costs, maybe $30 plus the notary fee...
I'd bite.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Buy it. Those parts bring big money. The lifan engines bolt in too and lots of china knockoffs for the rest of the bike.

Allen

Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #6

Bar none the best bike I ever had was a 1972 Honda CT70. Though mine was the faster red model . Still have it at my parents farm and am thinking I might bring it in and restore it for my son. Not sure if I would have it done by the time he graduates though...

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #7

lifan bought the rights to Xerox that bike the lf110 and i have bought ct70 parts for it so yes bite and bite fast and hard
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #8

I'm guessing by the email address that it's at Mission Motorsports. I wonder why he wouldn't fix it himself? Odd.

Anyway, I noticed that Gio has been selling the 125 pit bike engines at auction instead of buy it now, so they're very cheap these days.

Jump on it! Got a truck, or would you like a hand picking it up?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #9

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long getting back to you guys on how things turned out...

I rode my bike over to my parents (old Triumph 3 speed bicycle, I think it's about 16km), and borrowed my dad's truck. Went down and picked it up, I ended up paying $80. Apparently it needs ignition stuff, there is some that is not good but he gave me some spare parts for that too... To be honest I don't know about ignition stuff so it will be a learning process.. The engine turns over and it seems like there is compression, shifting works. It needs a few small parts here and there, and good cleaning up.

MICRider, faster red model maybe I can make an upgrade :P

Phil, I wasn't aware of that, I knew Lifan had pretty much identical bikes, but I didn't know they had the rights, interesting stuff, thanks.

Derryk, you are correct, it was at mission motorsports... I've never heard of them before, I was also wondering why he wouldn't fix it himself but it sounds like he just isn't interested? He said he bought it site unseen for $100 and it was in worse shape then he figured, so he just wanted to get his money out of it. It didn't really look that bad to me, unless the motor is completely hooped, but then the gio auctions you mention sounds like a good alternative... I looked at the gio auction for one of those motors, the worst part is the $45 shipping since they don't allow local pickup. Also, thank you very much for the kind offer to help me pick it up

Unfortunately it's just gone into the barn at my parents place for now, hopefully it won't be too long, but I've got to get done with the cl350 that I've been dragging my heels on. I'm going to be painting the frame and various pieces very soon then it should start going back together.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted as I progress with this little bike.

Going to do some searching for a shop manual.

Judging by http://www.hondatrail70.com/ct70id.htm it is a CT70K1 Trail 70.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #10

You just made money jim, Parting it out will bring You a good profit. Fixed will also.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #11

Cool! Can't wait to see it.

One of the benefits to the 125 is the CDI ignition. Your troubles will be over if you go that route.

I've got the flywheel puller in stock if you need it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #12

Nice find, Jim. Please post some photos as you restore the bike!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #13

I would look into a new 125 to put into it. No points to deal with and lots more power too. I look forward to seeing this project develop!!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #14

That little guy would boogie with a 125!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #15

Here's a bit bigger picture... Still not much to look at though.

I've removed all that ratty tape from the seat, but the cover, the foam, and the pan are all junk anyways.

I may tinker here and there, but it should be mostly off to the side until the 350 is done.