Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #16

Well you just narrowed down your choice of bikes. If you plan on 70+mph, you can scratch any China 250cc bike. Even though my X22R was capable of 75-80mph after mods, I wasn't super comfortable riding the interstate on windy days. Bike was too light and got pushed around easily at those speeds. It was more at home doing 55-70 mph on back roads.

Stick with the Ninja 400 or 650.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooklorky View Post
@Falkon45
On the note of the rc390 how did you like the bike? I really like the way that bike looks and I know its ergonomics are less comfy for the road but I just think the bike is really really cool looking. The thing that made me shy away from the bike were people saying that it really struggled on roads in the 70+ mph range. Pretty much the only way to get around by me are the big 70+ mph roads and quite a few 55 mph "backroads". I don't really understand how the bike is "slower than the ninja" when they have very comparable specs except for the ktm only having 1 cylinder. How was your experience with the bike at higher speeds? Not necessarily track performance and handling but more of did the bike feel a little too underpowered for big roads?
I actually enjoyed it. Depending on how the bike felt that day, I could hit between 107 and 110 top speeds. The ergos are the most aggressive of the starter bikes. Just slightly more upright, and foot pegs a little lower than an r1 and r6. You sat on top of the bike. But incredibly similar. I preferred that more than the ninja 400, which you sat more "in" the bike, and I didn't like the handlebars and foot pegs. I like to sit more aggressively, though. And I like really wide handlebars.

My friend's ninja 400 would walk me everyday of the week. She had about 2000 more RPM than my bike, and could keep pulling away, while I'm bouncing off the rev limiter at about 10k. The maintenance is a PITA for the 390, also. You HAVE to keep on top of it. It runs hot all the time, and you'll worry about if it's overheating or not. The QC in India was hit or miss. My 2017 didn't have the immediate head gasket issue, but it was there. I saw where one kid blew his head gasket a month after he bought the bike, on a group ride with him. His was a year newer than mine. I also had weird "ABS CAN BUS Failure" warnings a lot. I wouldn't get the 390 of any sort, unless you get the newer 2022 version, or one where someone has already had their head worked by the dealership. Hopefully, KTM got their crap together. lol.

The ninja 400 is honestly, the best beginner bike, just because of it's power, price, and cost of ownership. The aftermarket loves it, and it's a great all around bike. If you want to do more touring, look at the Z400. Bikes are pretty much identical mechanically, save for the fairings and handlebars.

Edit: As for highways, It's a very light bike. You can easily keep it at 90, no problem. I've made a 1 hour trip from SC to my house back in GA at those speeds. It's buzzy, because you're at the top of the RPM range. As with any light weight bike, wind is not your friend. It can power through head winds, but cross winds will move you everywhere. Semis aren't to be trifled with either. Don't hang out less than 3 car lengths behind them, and if you gonna pass, pass fast, because you will be pushed around. Other than that, a majority of my rides on the bike were on 55/60/70 mph highways. It handles them just fine.

Last edited by Falkon45; 12-22-2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added info

Tags
advice, beginner, questions, sport bike, venom