Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Any thing new coming from Zongshen?

I talked to a Zong dealer today about when the new Sierra would be out, and he said he did not know, but there was talk of something that might replace it. All very vague I guess. Anyone heard anything?

Phil, have you heard anything?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

I’m not trying to “steal his thunder,” but I believe Phil stated the Zongshen Cyclone Fly ZS150GY-10 was going to replace the Zongshen Sierra ZS200GY-2.

This Zong is water cooled. The Cyclone Fly has Showa forks, a Showa shock absorber, and a Keihin carburetor. Ths ZS150GY-10 also has disc brakes on both the front, and rear wheels. Instrumentation includes a fuel gauge, along with a speedometer, but no tachometer. Apparently this Zong will be available in black, white, red, blue, and my personal favorite, yellow.

If the seat is not too hard, and narrow, I might consider buying this Zong; however, the price must still be right. However, this new Zong will not be as nice an adventure motorcycle as the Sierra 200GY-2. I really enjoy the low seat height, and wide, comfortable saddle on the current Sierra ZS200GY-2. I also appreciate that the Sierra ZS200GY-2 is a copy of the currently produced Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. The current Zong offers Yamaha parts compatibility, and Yamaha modifications/upgrades that the Cyclone Fly won’t accommodate. However, the Cyclone Fly still appears to be a very nice motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #3

Spud. That bike is only a 150. God only knows where the parts will come for for the inevitable 100 mods you'll make per week .

You NEED another GY-200. 8)

Much cheaper too.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud. That bike is only a 150. God only knows where the parts will come for for the inevitable 100 mods you'll make per week .

You NEED another GY-200. 8)

Much cheaper too.
As usual, you present an intelligent, logical viewpoint, Doc! Indeed, the current Zong has allowed me to mount a 3.5 gallon Clarke fuel tank, Yamaha XT225 exhaust header, et cetera. Also, I can run the current Zong for many years using Yamaha parts. In addition, I can configure my current Zong with either an 18-inch, or 21-inch front wheel. The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is an excellent motorcycle; I am very glad I purchased one while they were still available.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #5

Wow, that is going to be quite a change. I do think I like it, I will miss that utility rack on the back. Will this be able to ride at 55 MPH?

I have to assume they will be also coming out with one a little bigger, not everyone wants to drop down in size.

Thanks for the great input!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #6

I would only be interested in going to a 300cc or larger if I was buying new again.

It does look like a nice bike though. What are the specs on the engine?

Allen

Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Wow, that is going to be quite a change. I do think I like it, I will miss that utility rack on the back. Will this be able to ride at 55 MPH?...
Zongshen claims a top speed of 95 kph, which is roughly 60 mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
...I have to assume they will be also coming out with one a little bigger, not everyone wants to drop down in size.

Thanks for the great input!
You are welcome, RW. As far as I know, Zongshen America does not plan to import a dual sport bike with a larger engine. However, I hope Phil will come by and update us.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I would only be interested in going to a 300cc or larger if I was buying new again.

It does look like a nice bike though. What are the specs on the engine?

Allen
The only engine specifications I can find are 9.5 Kw @ 8,500 rpm, and 10.0 Nm @ 7,500 rpm. :roll: The Zongshen website is not very easy to negotiate. :(

This is a nice motorcycle, but I would need a larger engine; 150cc is too small for me.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

9.5kw is about 12.7hp. So that would not be an improvement. Okay for good mileage, but better stick to the slow lane.

Allen

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
9.5kw is about 12.7hp. So that would not be an improvement. Okay for good mileage, but better stick to the slow lane.

Allen
For a 150cc engine, this motorcycle will probably perform acceptably well. However, a 150cc engine is too small for me. Also, the ZS150GY-10 probably weighs as much as my modified YamaZong 200GY-2.

I definitely prefer my 200cc YamaZong to the new 150cc, Cyclone Fly. I prefer my lower seat height, and wide, comfortable saddle. I also prefer my 3.5-gallon Clarke fuel tank, Yamaha TW200 parts compatibility, and the extra 50cc engine displacement of my YamaZong. The Zongshen Sierra 200 is a very fine motorcycle; I wonder why Zongshen decided to stop exporting it to the United States? :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #11

I would like to see the street version look more like this:

I see the same frames on the derbi cross city.

They are not going to do to well with a 150cc in the states, they might if they made a street version that looked like the cross city. Bet that a 200cc or bigger would not fit on that frame.

I like the three versions and all dirt, then dual sport and then all street.
But with the 150cc they will have to be under $2K and still not going to be that popular.

The three versions is good approach; but the street version...what is making it more street?

They need to get it right then run some adds...but not till they get it right this is not a home run is it?

I say threee version and with 250cc and then its still a matter of pricing it right, they do think they can displace the Japanse share in this market and maybe they can but it has to be better for less. Not less for less, with nice extras but still less...

I should really look closer at the power curve...but wonder if it is really that good? Better then all the other 150cc of which there are how many and why is that?

I'd consider it at 150cc if it looked like the cross city.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #12

Wow it actually is a derbi!

a Senda Baja 125R variation...actually a Senda DRD 125 variation, which they claim to have 15hp, from it's 125cc engine, which has a high compression at 12:1 it is also water cooled.

So the 150cc version of the cyclone with about 13hp is not bad comparatively and that it will sell for half the price.

Derbi also has a street version called a Terra Adventure 125

Zongshen Piaggio Foshan

One frame and lots of variations on that one frame, to bad it does not support a larger motor. The Seda version weighs in at about 275 lbs

Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #13

sorry been busy, to my knowledge, which is small, the 150 is the replacement, its not cheap, but reasonable. its much faster lighter and improved over the sierra. no you cant buy one even if your a dealer who has formally made a request, willing to buy without street able papers (pending release) for testing and advertising on this forum and elsewhere on the net. and even if thats all you asked manny claus for Christmas :wink:
to answer the other "whats going to be next" heres the thing the with the economy the way it is everywhere most of the companies are closing the doors. this has already been discussed here so the real question should be are they going to survive, will the American/ Chinese motorcycle industry bring anything else here period. who will survive, at least zong hasnt been misleading anybody by promising something like the 400cc cruiser :wink: and even give dates but thats another story that really doesnt matter to me. but anyhow ill ask again tomorrow as i have to call manny on a parts order for a member here , and i will add this for any concerned my website is finally started to come together if you guys wouldnt mind taking a look (its still not done and rough) and emailing me you suggestion and comments i would greatly appreciate your input
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #14

Phil, I was at your site a few days ago. Trying to find zong scooter info.

Looking good.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #15

Thanks for the update Phil, sure is going to be different, but I like the new bike so far. Any idea when it might be available for sale? Are there still some of the old ones available?

I know the economy is suffering , but I believe you will survive, you are a real American and provide a real service. We need more like you!