Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

My oldest son is 15 & he got his first 4x4 quad today

So I got all the things repaired and done on the 2004 350cc quad for my son's 15th birthday today.

We loaded up the three quads and the boys and I headed out the GILL Rd. (local good area for kids and getting used to a new ride)

He almost swamped it once, he baptised it in water, got massively stuck and gave himself a good mud shower then Dad helped him get it out.

All in all it was a great day and Geoff is now no longer missing the sport quad, he is hooked on 4x4 quads.

He has some learning curve on the turning coming from a super wide 5ft front end sport quad to a boxy narrow utility quad since he got tossed once and almost rolled it but he is safe and he had an awesome day.

My boy is now a man!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2

Sounds like a good time, but you forgot the pictures.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

guess that meens i am still a boy ...

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
guess that meens i am still a boy ...
I think you find more mud on a Saturday than most guys with a 4x4 will in their lifetime.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Hey guys, just moving this thread over to the "Other Stuff" section as it pertains to Japanese ATV's and not chinese ones

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

MIC,

This was not about OTHER stuff or Chinese stuff it is ABOUT a boy getting his first 4x4 quad. Yes I mentioned a brand here
BUT
the whole point of this is about the boy turning to a man.

You are being to legalistic about threads in what forum.

Legalism kills and will destroy this place if you want to be so heavy handed on control of peoples threads.

I removed the name brand of the quad so you can so NICELY place the thread back where it belongs PLEASE!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

He almost swamped it once, he baptised it in water, got massively stuck and gave himself a good mud shower then Dad helped him get it out.

The apple does not fall far from the tree!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #8

here is the first video he posted. 15 minutes long and a couple dark spots but pretty much sums up the day.

Older first generation GoPro edited in Windows Movie Maker on Core i5 3rd generation machine with 16GB ddr3 ram.

Not bad really for what the quality of the GoPro is.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #9

Good video.

Where was the camera mounted? The helmet?

Looks very wet and muddy . Those diagonal wet fallen trees would put a dirt bike rider on his face but don't seem to bother the ATV much at all. 8O

Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Good video.

Where was the camera mounted? The helmet?

Looks very wet and muddy . Those diagonal wet fallen trees would put a dirt bike rider on his face but don't seem to bother the ATV much at all. 8O
it IS a very wet and muddy area and a whooot to ride in ....this is the same place we took the grandsons and the 110 got burried to the frame.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #11

yes the moount was on the very top of his helmet. I suggested side mount but he insisted on top mount which makes it looking way down on everything.
Plus top mount tends to get more hlemet slappers with water on it to mess up the lens.

Gill Rd is a great area right on the edge of the Might Fraser River in Chilliwack, BC and has some awesome diverse riding. Sand, mud, rocks, trails, flats, hills. It is a great place to teach new riders the basics and help someone get used to a new machine and try out lots of different terrain typens in a small area plus get some water/ mud experience yet be close enough if you get nasty stuck you can get a 4x4 truck in there to get the quad out.

It was a great day!!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

I like the helmet cams.

That really sounds like a good area. How big is it? Is it close to your house? Does it get snowed in or is it useable all year?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #13

it is about an hour from our house and easy access. It depends on the river levels how big the area is, like last start of summer it had an area down the river 5 miles long and 1/8 mile wide and maybe more on length if you could cross a few slightly deeper river sections like I could.

It gets some snow but we were there last January with 18-20 guys from our church all on quads and dirt bikes. It had duped 18 inches of snow that night before and we were first there in the lot and I ALMOST got my expedition (glad I had that and not sportage that day) stuck in the snow with the trailer.

We cleared a play area with 2 plows for some of the younger kids there with kids dirt bikes and small kids atv's that could not do the deep snow but the large 2wd and 4wd quads went and had a ball all day long and we left at dark 5-6PM after an awesome day. (River is low that time of year too.)

Great area, but just 10-12 miles away(as the crow flies) is the CHilliwack valley where we have Tamihi creek, Foley Creek and Chipmunk creek riding areas and they are all Forestry service roads or very technical trails on the side of a mountain range.
In this area we have some amazing areas to ride and are very fortunate to live here and have the open access to government land that we do.
Then over where Midlifecrisis lives about an hour in a little bit differnt direction from where I live we have the famous STAVE LAKE AREA which is a forest service area around a lake and it is HUGE and has some awesome riding. Look up Stave Lake and ATV or Stave Lake Flats Quadding and you can watch for hours.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

here is a link to a ride a few of the members of my club did at Stave Lake a while back.

This is what type of hard technical stuff THE RIGHT NUTS loves to ride and that is the trails there at Stave.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #15

You are so lucky to have those places to ride close to your home. So many places getting closed down nowadays....

Clever plowing a place for the kids. You Canadians are hard core!