Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
2LZ said:-

I wonder how easy this would be on loose ground and on a downhill slope?
Sub 400lbs is my rule an' I am sticking to it.
That's fine and I don't blame you. I just posted the vid as more of part of the conversation, not a cure-all.
Mrs. 2LZ did flop her Sporty on a rough dirt road to a campground and it took three of us to get it lifted to it's feet. It was almost completely upside down in a rain trench. One never knows the situation that two wheels can get us into.

The most amazing upending I've ever seen was by Mrs. 2LZ X-husband, Big Dave. My buddy pulled up on his Road King and backed it in. He got his boot caught and flopped over on the crash bars on the left side. He weighed about 160 pounds and was struggling to upend it to it's feet. Big Dave walked over, grabbed the handlebar end from the opposing side and pulled it up straight at himself without as much as a whimper.
Obviously, I do my best to get along with him. ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #62

It may be fine to run the front of the DR that way if you're light but I am a fat troll all of 5'8" with a 28-inch inseam. When I sit on a stock DR650, I have 6 inches between my feet and the ground. If I slid the forks up, I would stuff the front tire into the frame or engine.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #63

Goshawk, there's a ton of ways to bend the DR to your will, and an almost cult-like following for that bike (it seems that one cult is carved out for the DR650, and another cult for the KLR. And of course, let's not forget our own happy little band of China Rider stalkers), I pick up most of my DR parts from www.procycle.us
They have everything you can think of, and parts you didn't even know you needed. Lowering the DR the "right" way is a snap and can be accomplished in an afternoon. Sliding the forks up through the tree and changing the rear link position (the "wrong" way) can be done in about an hour. I've ridden bikes that have been lowered both ways, and honestly found very little difference between them. Again, it goes right back to your comfort level and knowing your limits. Regardless of where you land on the scale, there's bound to be support for it. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions about the DR specifically. Or look me up if you're ever in the Phoenix area. I'd be happy to meet up with you and have a ride.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #64

Almost any good bike will have an occult following with their own websites.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Goshawk, there's a ton of ways to bend the DR to your will, and an almost cult-like following for that bike (it seems that one cult is carved out for the DR650, and another cult for the KLR. And of course, let's not forget our own happy little band of China Rider stalkers), I pick up most of my DR parts from www.procycle.us
They have everything you can think of, and parts you didn't even know you needed. Lowering the DR the "right" way is a snap and can be accomplished in an afternoon. Sliding the forks up through the tree and changing the rear link position (the "wrong" way) can be done in about an hour. I've ridden bikes that have been lowered both ways, and honestly found very little difference between them. Again, it goes right back to your comfort level and knowing your limits. Regardless of where you land on the scale, there's bound to be support for it. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions about the DR specifically. Or look me up if you're ever in the Phoenix area. I'd be happy to meet up with you and have a ride.
Thanks Emerikol, that is a very kind offer, and I have a feeling we would enjoy the meeting. As 3000 miles (give or take a few) separates us, it is an unlikely happening. But....... stranger things have occured. I spend much of my summers on an island off the Maine coast, but would reciprocate should you find yourself in Western Maine or "Downeast". (Don't ask, I only live there, not name the places).

Old 05-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
This is the same technique I taught Mrs. 2LZ for her Victory. Always face away from the bike.
I tried this on a napping F800GS and could not manage to pick it up. Perhaps it's my bad knees - but my feet kept slipping out. If I remember right, I turned around facing the bike and wound up lifting it that way instead (still using my legs rather than my back).

Old 05-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #67

Sprite, good to see you. How have you been doing?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Sprite, good to see you. How have you been doing?
Doing alright, not getting enough riding in (had that long time away and lost a whole season+ to a foot surgery) - and it's getting to be the hot time of year again....doesn't help that I'm still very much a newb on the motorcycle but I still have my RX3 and try to take it out periodically. I really wish I had access to some graded forest roads much closer to home where I didn't have to ride superslab with all the 75+ mph traffic (and semis! and people on their cellphones)...and our truck is not set up to trailer bikes (it's a very anemic 4cyl taco). Haven't gotten in the habit of using my RX3 as a commuter - I'm embarrassed to admit I'm very much a fair weather rider...and it really is a lot easier to throw my stuff in the car rather than get fully geared and figure out where to put all my gear once I get to work (not to mention the whole riding past sunset thing that I don't like to do esp in the cooler months).

I've been checking in periodically here and see what everyone's been up to and remind myself the only way I'm going to be more comfortable on my bike is to actually spend more time on it. It was also good to see the reminder that at some point hopefully I am confident enough on the RX3 to potentially join up with the CSC crowd for a longer road trip. How've you been doing?