Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #16

You are less likely to be bothered in that part of the state too. Its cold there. Sounds like you have a registration plan. In southern Minnesota there is not as many ATVs with DNR registration. No trails to ride.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #17

Very true, the local DNR officer I've heard can be a little hard headed, but since I will be legal in all aspects I'll be fine. There are a lot of trails north of me that I've heard are great and being able to ride to them would be a definite plus.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership about the bike. He hasn't been able to get in touch with his supplier, but I have my fingers crossed. Once the temperature gets above zero and some snow melts I'll be on the road.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackay318 View Post
I guess I'll give wade a call today, my only worry about the TMEC was that it wouldn't be able to carry someone my size at 55mph comfortably.
It's a shame on the price. I am only 5' 7" and 165 lbs, and the bike rides me at 60 to 65 mph, but I did change the sprocket to a 48 tooth which I had to source from England (the only real downside is the hub pattern is based on a few obscure European-only bikes like a Yamaha XT 125 SM, or the European brand Derbi Senda 125. That is the least teeth sprocket available, too. I ordered it from a bike parts/accessories store in the UK who were more than happy to deal with me in the US (it costs about $45 USD including shipping), as other UK and Euro stores were not so willing to deal with me, and JT Sprockets US headquarters had some complicated ordering system in place in which it would cost more, and come from the UK, anyway.

This morning, I was following a coworker on the final several mile stretch to work which is a two-lane county highway road with a 50 mph posted limit, and since my speedo does not work well (ironically the odometer is pretty much spot on) when we both got to work, and I asked him how fast we were cruising, he said 60 mph. My bike was not at full throttle, and I have gone slightly faster on the bike. It is essentially stock with the stock PZ30 carb as I have not upgraded to Weldangrind's Ebay source for Mikuni (possibly clones, but cheap and high quality as everyone who has purchased one has reported) other than the sprocket. And it is on the 17"/17" street tires since Yuma's sand is far to beach-like for two wheelers so I figured I would not be going on any of our sand trails on knobbies (you need a quad or UTV or buggy around here unless you are hardcore at the Imperial Sand Dunes or Glamis on two wheels with paddle tires). I have 7099 kms/ 4412 miles on the bike since the end of May daily commuting (with the exception of being off of work for a month following an accident on the bike (which did very little damage to the bike but broke my arm and my collarbone). Just my experience with the TMEC--your mileage, riding and needs will differ...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #19

Thanks for the info, If I don't hear back about the RPS I will call Wade back and place an order. Instead of ordering a sprocket from overseas you could modify a sprocket to work if you have access to a drill press.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #20

Welcome!

I'd like to get a hold of an SL100; may we see a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #21

Also, props for doing so much research on the forum. There is a ton of good info here.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #22

Thanks weld. I'll snap a pic of what the sl100 looks like in its current state hopefully tomorrow. It's in my back garage and I have to shovel my way out to it. She's rough since she has been sitting in a field in northern Minnesota for about 7 years but I've gotten most of the rust cleared away. I was originally trying to source a clone motor to rebuild it when I stumbled upon this forum. I figured if something catastrophic happens to the bike I buy I could always fit the motor in there and finish rebuilding it.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #23

Take your time on the pic.

Fitting a clone motor into the SL100 might be a bit of a chore, but it's workable. The clone motors are based on the 50 and 70 frame of architecture (FOA), whereas the sl100 could be a different mounting pattern.

This is one source for adapters: http://www.dratv.com/adchtob.html

There is a ton of good info on horizontal clone swaps here: http://www.dratv.com/eninkico.html

Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #24

Oops, scratch that.

I just realized the SL100 is a vertical motor. I'd be willing to bet that a vertical clone all the way up to 230cc would bolt in. Yee haw!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Oops, scratch that.

I just realized the SL100 is a vertical motor. I'd be willing to bet that a vertical clone all the way up to 230cc would bolt in. Yee haw!
Correct. The CT 70s and 90s have the GY6 horizontal engine that you see in scooters as well.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackay318 View Post
Correct. The CT 70s and 90s have the GY6 horizontal engine that you see in scooters as well.
I know that's not right. The GY6 has a stator mounted on the right (vs. the left), it has a dry clutch (vs. oil bath) and it has a long side case to accommodate the CVT. The CT horizontal engines have a conventional clutch and transmission, with a countershaft sprocket.

Can you tell that I have both horizontal engines and GY6's?

No offence intended, just sayin'.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #27

You are right, major brain fart there. I don't really know what I was thinking. I'll grab pictures of it tomorrow when I get off work.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:36 AM   #28

It's all good. It closely follows my brain fart, when I thought the SL100 had a horizontal engine.

I'm excited that the SL has a vertical engine, because a vertical clone (like a CG200) is so easy to find, and parts are peanuts. That thing would haul with a 200cc engine!