Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM   #16

Oui... I hope I can register the bike here, otherwise it's a brick to me. I'm buying an enduro so I don't have to lug a dirt bike around.

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear. I think I'm going to take a ride to the DMV on Monday to find out.

Does the the mco or title say for off road use only? What differentiates the hawk from other street legal enduros?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2017, 12:26 AM   #17

I just looked up the enforcer 250. Both bikes look identical. Are they manufactured by the same company?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 AM   #18

The MCO should have Motorcycle and not Off-Road. The MCO doesn't come with the bike, it is mailed to you after you sign for it. It is a safety thing.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
Oui... I hope I can register the bike here, otherwise it's a brick to me. I'm buying an enduro so I don't have to lug a dirt bike around.

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear. I think I'm going to take a ride to the DMV on Monday to find out.

Does the the mco or title say for off road use only? What differentiates the hawk from other street legal enduros?

Thanks
you should be ok the MCO will list it as a motorcycle, and if they want to do a walk around the EPA sticker is on it you should be ok.... if not make a quick run north to vermont,,, those folks up there will register and title a wheelbarrow as long as your willing to pay the fee. then you simply transfer it to your home state once you get it back from them,,, i may or may not have had to do this in the past with other vehicles,,

Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 AM   #20

All Chinese bikes are very similar with only subtle differences between any of them. Unfortunately to the DMV its all about what the official paperwork says. When an importer brings in any new bike they need to pay a lot of money to get it certified and pass various levels of inspections. This cost money and takes a lot of time. It's much cheaper and quicker to list the model as an off-road bike because you don't need to pay to have it DOT inspected. Lifan got sued a few years back for bringing in I believe street bikes and saying they were off-road bikes so they could skip the inspection process. When the bikes ended up on the street through various loopholes as mentioned above the government decided to sue the manufacturer because they wouldn't pass emission tests (not required for off-road vehicles). This was see as a huge setback to Chinese manufactures at the time and speculation was that some may never import bikes to the US again. There seems to be more bikes available now then ever so if there was a minor setback it must have ran its course already.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #21

Quote:

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear.

The problem, as I mentioned before, is that NJ is one of the few states that strictly go off the FMVSS list for registering vehicles. For whatever reason, RPS has not gone through EPA/DOT certification, but rather goes through EPA Off-Road certification. It is certified as an off-road motorcycle for 49 states, even though the Hawk has full street equipment. In fact, the more streetable Magician also sold by RPS that has the same engine is also certified as an off-road only motorcycle. I would suggest to reject the shipment!

Quote:
I just looked up the enforcer 250. Both bikes look identical. Are they manufactured by the same company?
They are not manufactured by the same company. China has long been accused of copying designs, but I think the case here, as with many lookalike bikes, is that all it takes to be legally a 'manufacturer' is to buy parts from suppliers and slap manufacturer plates on your bikes. The Enforcer is manufactured by Bashan and is 49 state certified by the EPA/DOT as an on-highway motorcycle. That bike and manufacturer WILL be in NJ's list since they get their list from the federal FMVSS list.

Here is a thread by a fellow NJ resident. His intentions were primarily off-road, and he does not ride it daily, so he is using a loophole. Read through his posts--it does not look good for the Hawk, so either you reject the order, or use his loophole. Even converting an out of state registration transferring to NJ will probably not work. I would suggest to get an Enforcer.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18289

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #22

Rejection of shipment

Guys, thanks so much for your input. Why does everything have to be so difficult? I think I'm going to reject the shipment based on the fact the the bike can't be registered here in New Jersey. What a shame too, the hawk looks like a good bike.

... Anyway, I put it on my credit card. I'm hoping that I don't get any crap from the dealer about refusing the shipment. Do you guys think I should call the shipping company and tell them on Monday or just reject it when it gets Here on Tuesday?

Anyone ever look into this bike ? I like the USD forks and from what theyre saying it's 49 state street legal.

https://www.powerrideoutlet.com/dirt...abs_faq_tabbed

Thanks

Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #23

Anyone know the actual names of the companies who manufacture all these Chinese bikes? A list would be helpful when shopping for a Chinese bike. That way you could look on your state DMV approved list to avoid all the hassel...Life would be so much easier.

I started looking into this bike which says it's 49 state legal, but don't see the manufacturer name on New Jersey's DMV approved list.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #24

That bike is a Bashan, but of course it has a longer, fancy, formal name. I would try the Enforcer if I was you, since it is a Bashan, and 49 state legal like the bike you linked. The photo you linked to is the Brozz (the one that everyone seems to be ordering this past week!). A few members have reported that Powerrideoutlet has not been answering their phone or returning emails.

The formal name for Bashan according to the U.S. is CHONGQING ASTRONAUTICAL BASHAN MOTORCYCLE

The formal name for Haosen (Hawk's manufacturer) is CHONGQING HAOSEN MOTORCYCLE CO, LTD

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Guys, thanks so much for your input. Why does everything have to be so difficult? I think I'm going to reject the shipment based on the fact the the bike can't be registered here in New Jersey. What a shame too, the hawk looks like a good bike.

... Anyway, I put it on my credit card. I'm hoping that I don't get any crap from the dealer about refusing the shipment. Do you guys think I should call the shipping company and tell them on Monday or just reject it when it gets Here on Tuesday?

Anyone ever look into this bike ? I like the USD forks and from what theyre saying it's 49 state street legal.

Thanks
I would call motor vehicle dep't. first thing Monday morning and verify that you can not register the Hawk there, and get the name of who you talk to at MV, then call the dealer and tell them you want to cancel the sale because they gave you false info, and then call your credit card and tell them the same. Let the dealer worry about dealing with the freight company.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #26

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I just hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #27

It could (and should) simply be an issue of shipping the Hawk back and having them send a Brozz instead. THEY messed up (their sales guy) since they have been in this industry for quite a while and should know which bikes are allowed in which states. California is easy for the most part, since virtually nothing but 50cc scooters and a few 150cc scooters, and very, very few others, are CARB legal (there are quite a few off-road legal bikes that are CARB certified) but New Jersey and Penn. are two states (I know there are few more) that will only go off the NHTSA on-highway list. That includes everything that is 49 state legal, such as the current lineup of Bashan enduro bikes. I would be demanding since they are based in California and California is VERY consumer friendly--you have recourse you can take if they give you a hard time.

I am thinking of a solution that will benefit both of you since you already paid them, and they will not want to hassle refunding you.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #28

If I paid shipping for a motorcycle and also got charged for the return shipping because the buyer decided they didn't want, I think I would want some form of payment.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
If I paid shipping for a motorcycle and also got charged for the return shipping because the buyer decided they didn't want, I think I would want some form of payment.
It's not a case of buyer not wanting it...It's a case of buyer not being able to license it when they were told they could. And the buyer bought it from a business that should know what they are doing. Some people wouldn't care, but apparently this buyer wants to ride it on the road legally, and shouldn't have to jump through hoops registering it in another state. That's how I see it anyways. And if the business handles it right they might be able to sell him something different and make up the loss. Businesses expect that kind of expense. It happens. All part of retail....

Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #30

I am not trying to stir up trouble. I have worked in retail for over 30 years and I know what it involves.