Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

125 cc gear problems

I have 125 cc atvs with the 3 speed semi automatic... the 2nd gear keeps having the problems of not staying in gear... 1st is good... 3rd is good... but 2nd will not stay in... it just revs up & jumps out of gear...does anyone have any thoughts... these are new atvs.. about 1-2 weeks old... any help would be appreciated

Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Have you tried adjusting the centrifugal clutch?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #3

clutch

I was checking on YOUTUBE about the Honda 3 speed transmission clutch adjustment.. and I will give that a try... it just seems stupid that 1st is good... 3rd is good... and 2nd it does not go in all the way so it bucks.. and then kicks out.. I have to get more into it.. I hope that the gear shafts & shifter collars inside are not the problem... a lot to split to do that.. I will post the results when I get the time

Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #4

transmission gear

tried a new clutch , but when I opened it up... I could see a lot of grinding material on the clutch..... when the person is driving the atv.. they shift up to third .. but then the downshift... and they are going too fast.... the machine does not like going from 3rd to 2nd... when they are going fast... it is too much of a drop in the gear speed.. so the second gear ... loses some teeth.. I just changed the motor out.... $300.00 lesson.. when you want to change the gears to 2nd... stop & go to 1st then 2nd..

Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

It seems reasonable to downshift from third to second, but engine speed must be under control. I would slow the quad down to where I thought it was suitable for second gear, release the throttle, and then blip the throttle as I shifted into second. I bet that would be smoother than just banging into second.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #6

kids shifting

the troubleis that kids think it is neat to downshift when you are at top speed still... and then their parents wonder why the trans is blown?? a new motor fixes that... only $ 300.00 plus labour