Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #1

My stable

Hi all. Lets see how this works.
My stable includes a Roketa RSM 200 E5 for either of my sons when they come up here. A Roketa RTK 250 W (water cooled) quad for my daughter-in-law, a 110cc mini bike for my oldest grand daughter and 2 mini 90cc quads for the younger grand daughters. All this for a little less than $4000 in April '06.
The big quad has not much use yet & the only problem so far was electrical. The plug from the ignition key switch (under the right fender) was defective.
On the mini quads one had electrical connections come loose & was hard to trace down but fixed for now. Mainly I am plagged with flat tires. The tubeless tires do not hold air very well. I can air them up & they will be good for most of the day. I have to keep an eye on them tho. I am thinking of putting tubes in them. I will be putting a 12 volt power outlet on the big quad so it can run the Wallyworld compressor.
I am very happy with these so far. If you do not mind a little wrenching then they can't be beat.

Here is my stable:

This is all I have time for now.
Catch you later.
John

Old 07-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #2

HotelRed, you are a fellow Arizonan. (I live in the wonderful frying pan also known as Yuma). I belong to a site called www.ridingarizona.com that primarily discusses quads. With the many Chinese quads available at great prices, I have been considering one. On the ridingAZ site, many discuss street-legalizing their quads in Arizona.

Another group I belong to is an international motorcycle site called www.horizonsunlimited.com There is an active forum and people from all over the world discuss their travels throughout pretty much anywhere in the world.

Someone piqued my interest when they were discussing a planned quad trip through the Sahara Desert. I have absolutely no money for such a trip, nor a particular desire to go to Africa, but a trip through the "wilds" of Arizona would make a good alternative.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #3

Hello Culcune,
I also am a member of ridingarizona. There I am josbek. That is where I got clued in on the Chinese quads. I was doing research on a dual sport motorcycle for myself. I finally settled on a Kawasaki KLR 650. Then I bought the Chinese stuff for my family to see if they were interested.
I don't envy you being in Yuma. I just love it up here.
I imagine that a quad can be legalized. We used to do it with our old dirt bikes in the 60s & 70s. I don't know what the requirements would be now tho.
Riding the wilds of Arizona is something I plan to do but it will be on a motorcycle. I am starting with the trails around here for the summer. I'll go to the desert in the winter.
Nice meeting you.
Talk to you soon.
John

Old 07-26-2006, 02:45 AM   #4

My real name is Simon (I am also 'culcune' on ridingaz). There is a member here named Eddy (Eddyfx) who lives in Peoria, and we have briefly mentioned doing some rides, when the weather gets coooooler. (Although not too late in the season due to the very cold weather of the higher AZ altitudes). As we both have enduros, motorcycles will be our vehicles as well.

Some of the threads on ridingAZ discuss street-legalizing quads, and there is a minimum amount of equipment one needs to do so. There is a titling service in Phoenix that specializes in doing the registering of quads on your behalf for your convenience.

I don't want to invest too heavily in a quad (like my choice of bike to get back into riding) so Chinese quads are what I would consider.

If I am up for it (and also feel very confident that my bike is up for the challenge) I want to take a ride through the Navajo Nation. I lived up there for two years while working, and would like to ride a bike throughout the area. There are many dirt roads to take, and as I am pretty good with directions, I know where they will end up, as I have driven on them before.

But before I get ahead of myself, I need to get my 44-tooth rear sprocket on the bike and wait for the temp. to drop dramatically!!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #5

Hotelred, Where did you buy your big quad from? I am looking really hard at that one in particular. I am 6'2" 260 do you think It would fit me and hold up for moderate trail / mud / snow riding? Oh yea snow is this slippery white stuff that falls from the sky 9 months out of the year here.

1 a : precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F (0°C)

Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #6

sonofsunl.
I got it in April here: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsmlrace
He does not have the same thing anymore it looks like. There is a 200cc there now.
I got it for my daughter in law to ride with us so I have not ridden it much.
I had an electrical problem that I traced to the connector from the ignition switch under the front fender. The other problem I have to fix is the engine & exhaust pipe on the right side. They protrude out and burn your leg if you are not careful. I have to fabricate a guard to keep the leg away from the engine mainly.
It hauls me around the yard OK but that is the only experience I have with riding it. I am 6'3" & 280.
It cost me $1590 with shipping.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
John

Old 10-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #7

Re: My stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by "HotelRed

Here is my stable:
I see that KLR over there. 650, right? :wink:

Old 10-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #8

Blimpman:
Yes, a fast one as you can see. '04
Are you the guy I sent over to this site from KLR650.net?
I am josbek over there.
John

Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #9

Well, the batteries in both of the little quads went south at the same time!!!
Meter shows good charge but no amps to run the quad. Had to go the Wallyworld for new ones. They had the right size. $34 each. That's $1 more than I paid for my KLR 650 battery!!
I just got these things in April. That was fast.
John :(