Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

The one for $1000 gets my vote unless you can get a new one for less than what you've found. I'm guessing he'd go lower plus you might save on taxes and fees of a new one. I would try to find out how the wheel got bent and also check everything over to make sure there wasn't other damage. Take a spin to make sure it rolls straight and nothing feels off. If you buy it treat it like a new one; inspect and re-torque everything, adjust valves, change oil if not already done, etc.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

Love the late model wheels on your truck! That really updated the look.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame28 View Post
Make sure if you go check out the black bike, see if he will let you ride it. If your skill of riding is good, get it up to a reasonable speed and relieve pressure from the handlebar or let go completely and see if it pulls hard to one side or the other. Check the front forks to ensure they aren't bent also and above them on the triple tree area check the neck and the welded seems over carefully to see if it's cracked on either. I would also recommend check the rear wheel over twice on both sides to see if it got slightly bent also. They are very durable motors on these bikes, just have to do the few starter kit upgrades like the threads recommend and of course follow up here with us and photo's when you buy something!
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely do that. If he won't let me ride it, I'm walking away haha

I'm a forum fanatic, when I find one I like, I post a lot and I love posting pictures haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
The one for $1000 gets my vote unless you can get a new one for less than what you've found. I'm guessing he'd go lower plus you might save on taxes and fees of a new one. I would try to find out how the wheel got bent and also check everything over to make sure there wasn't other damage. Take a spin to make sure it rolls straight and nothing feels off. If you buy it treat it like a new one; inspect and re-torque everything, adjust valves, change oil if not already done, etc.
He said it had a new rider on it, was going around a turn, hit the front brake and hit a curb. Not sure how much truth there is to that but i have no reason to not believe him. Carb, jets, air box mod, digital speedometer, front/rear sprockets, chain, oil and spark plug will be taken care of if I get one of these bikes. I'd probably offer $700 and go to $800 if needed, that's assuming I like the bike and it rides fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Love the late model wheels on your truck! That really updated the look.
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Old 09-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #19

My brother taco'd my front rim, not nearly as badly as the one in that craigslist ad, but I replaced mine with a new PRO-Wheel 21x1.6 rimfor less than $70. It was easy enough to do, but took a good few hours since I'd never done it before.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15808

Old 09-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichrisbot View Post
My brother taco'd my front rim, not nearly as badly as the one in that craigslist ad, but I replaced mine with a new PRO-Wheel 21x1.6 rimfor less than $70. It was easy enough to do, but took a good few hours since I'd never done it before.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15808
One of the power sports dealers quoted me about $250 for it but the guy already replaced it. That's good to know though

Old 09-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #21

And what do you know, I found yet another one on craigslist. I find it strange that the title isn't in her name and it has paper plates. She said she's moving to colorado and doesn't have any way to take it with her. I'm thinking if I go ride it and like it, I'll offer her $1000 cash and see if she says "yes" or "f*ck off".
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/5783172640.html
What's yall's take on it? Worth a look or something to steer clear of?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
And what do you know, I found yet another one on craigslist. I find it strange that the title isn't in her name and it has paper plates. She said she's moving to colorado and doesn't have any way to take it with her. I'm thinking if I go ride it and like it, I'll offer her $1000 cash and see if she says "yes" or "f*ck off".
Something about that seems weird to me. I thought when you buy them from a dealer, the title is put in your name. It has paper tags on it as well which means it must've been registered correct?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
"Wasn't ridden hard" but the exhaust is totally discolored. Unless that's a normal Hawk thing I'm thinking it's been run hard and hot.

The bent wheel bike has way less mileage, a lower start price, and apparently no title issues.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
"Wasn't ridden hard" but the exhaust is totally discolored. Unless that's a normal Hawk thing I'm thinking it's been run hard and hot.

The bent wheel bike has way less mileage, a lower start price, and apparently no title issues.
I finally got her to respond saying she has all the paperwork the dealer gave her and that she was just lazy about getting the title put in her name.

Yeah I'm still going to give that bike a shot. I won't be able to go look at it until october 10th when the guy comes back from California.

Those of you who bought a bike from a dealership already assembled, what documentation do they give you? MSO, title, bill of sale, etc?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #25

That blue bike was ridden hard and put away wet abused, not to mention the speedo needle is broke right off... They must have hit something pretty hard to snap that I would think. These bikes brand new are only like $1400 full price. If you could convince a buddy you could get the two pack of brand new Hawk's for like $1200 from APSCUSA.COM. Actually I would call Don and tell him that you can pick the bike up at the warehouse if you are only buying one and see if they will lower the price a bunch. I wouldn't pay more than $850 wore in - $1,000 for a pristine used one. I'd skip the blue one unless you ask her when she has to move by, call her two days before she has to move and offer her $600 bucks.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame28 View Post
That blue bike was ridden hard and put away wet abused, not to mention the speedo needle is broke right off... They must have hit something pretty hard to snap that I would think. These bikes brand new are only like $1400 full price. If you could convince a buddy you could get the two pack of brand new Hawk's for like $1200 from APSCUSA.COM. Actually I would call Don and tell him that you can pick the bike up at the warehouse if you are only buying one and see if they will lower the price a bunch. I wouldn't pay more than $850 wore in - $1,000 for a pristine used one. I'd skip the blue one unless you ask her when she has to move by, call her two days before she has to move and offer her $600 bucks.
That's a good point. And I like that idea. I'll go look at it, see how it runs and if I think it's worth it, I'll do just that

Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #27

And buying new is still what I think I'll end up doing. I just don't want to pass up a good deal on a used bike if I can find a really good one

Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #28

I can't get CL where I'm currently at so I can't see the bike, but header pipe bluing, (if that's what's blued) is pretty normal with a bike that has a cat in it. That cat can get screamin' hot.

I vote for "buy new". Then you have just the normal stuff documented here to deal with.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #29

The hawks for sale in my area are ones that people assemble and sell for 2 grand or more. I've never seen one for under $1800 on CL.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #30

Missouri Hawks at $1699

We have a dealer here in Missouri advertising on CL for Hawks at $1699. I don't know how good the dealer is or reputation but seems like a fair price. However, I don't know if that is assembled. They do have one in stock apparently.