Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #16

That was a well thought out, and cunningly adroit post, Vince.

I have nothing against any member. I'm supposed to sit in the middle.

Dealers are supposed to disslose there status in their profile, and use their profile everytime they post. I see Doug's last post and there is no signature at the bottom. :(

Lynn writes, "Maybe other dealers have tainted the regulars here so much that no dealer will ever be welcome. But shouldn't that be the official policy then?"

I don't think that is so at all. I've seen some really good dealers loose their shirts; they don't post anymore, and their loss is our loss. We don't get their knowledge and parts anymore. On the other hand, I have spent my time sending Doug a PM to get him to use his signature, and he still chooses not to. Not to mention flogging parts. (Only answering posts where he can sell his goods.)

Back to the Topic:

heatherbmx
"We would love suggestions for the safest quad maybe with a footbrake and reliable would be great too."

Old 09-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
Yes, quite the cunning linguist!

I believe Mr. VinceDrake is much more knowledgeable than what meets the eye :idea:

Back to the topic, I found this link...Ironic, VinceDrake has one similar...while boning up on this topic.

http://mfcd.com/ca/atvs.html

Thanks,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
Yes, quite the cunning linguist!

I believe Mr. VinceDrake is much more knowledgeable than what meets the eye :idea:

Back to the topic, I found this link...Ironic, VinceDrake has one similar...while boning up on this topic.
http://mfcd.com/ca/atvs.html
Tigertamer
Tiger, Vince is an auto mechanic. He is knowledgeable. Try not to be too suspicious, that's Frosty's job, not mine. :wink: Though I do think that there is more to Vince than first suspected, I think it's a good thing. Hey Vince you should see the next CB upgrade I got planned. Oh baby. 8O .

I made the decison that it's going to be my bike for a while, and to fix it up a little.
I don't think heatherbmx is coming back for her info :(

Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #19

Gentlemen, I thank you! You do me honour! I am not worthy... :oops:

But more to the point I've had good luck with the Giovanni machines, more or less, and have assembled a bunch of them for my clients. The little 50cc Gio seems to be better built that their larger machines, some of them are going on 3 years of hard service, and still fine....

***BUT!*** (Sphinkter)

Something I've noticed with all brands of smaller atv's, ZMC, Zstar, and GIO, They all suffer from *rank* toe change under compression! i.e. If you set the toe to 1/8" unloaded, with a 200lb bum on it, it will measure up to 7/8!" For a small, cautious rider, this is not a huge deal, as the front suspension never sinks that far under normal riding, However, If you, or a larger kid is going to play on it, it makes them steer like a drunken camel, with a busted toe! Also, jumping with a heavier rider is dangerous, as you never really know where they are going to land, if you know what I mean?

As well, Avoid the 49cc 2 stroke machines. They're Crap. All Makes, all Models. I personally have never seen one go more than a month without either barfing the clutch, or murdering the piston/cylendar. Yup, they're super cheap, but just not up to the task. At all. Pain in the arse recoil starting, poor performance, Smells bad. Maybe that engine would be good on a weed wacker, or chainsaw, but not on a low-speed high-torque application, like an ATV...

Incidentally, the bushings in the front suspensions of all the units we've worked on are crapilicious. So as time goes on, even without damage, the wheel alignment changes pretty dramatically. Not a failure, just something that has be adjusted regularly, to keep them steering halfways decent.

But really, (This is going to make me really popular!) Usually, I've found the failure is not with the machine, usually it's with the parent/child. These things have a speed governor for a reason! I mean, the ZMC 50cc with do 30mph with My 255lb but on it! Also, Kids don't like to tell you when something is broken, or not right with the machine! They want to ride, not fix! Serveral times at the shop, we get a real bent one in, Little Johnny took a tumble, and Daddy says, "He took a tumble, and said the brakes went out and he wiped out!" Well, you look, and there's no brake pads, or fluid left, Neither happened overnight. Just poor maintenance.

Stay on top of them, and really I think they're just fine.

So there's something for Heather to read, if she ever comes back. I personally wouldn't worry about a foot brake too much... A better option would be to move up to a 110 with front and rear brakes. As the kidlies get older, a single rear disk, just isn't enough-- IMHO, YMMV, ILP, etc.

--Vince

Old 09-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #20

I'm not that cagey 8)

I'm not suspicious of VincDrake, He is one of my best friends here...you could probably guess the others.

You might have noticed that on occasion I like to bump a thread with a chime of humor, That's how I like to do things :wink:

And I do strike the occasional controversy, but that keeps everyone on their toes, so to speak.

And I agree that heatherbmx may have already found her answers.

Respectfully,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.