Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
Also, how soft is the suspension? I mean if drops 2 inches, when you're on it, it may be enough reach the ground (but still a booger to get on or off from). Also remember many of these bikes have a rear spring that allows you to lower it, and you can push the fork tubes up in the trees another 1-1-1/2". Of course there's always buying a shorter rear shock.
For me, at 230 lbs., the suspension is rediculously soft--like I can feel the pressure change in my ears when I sit down, and then I just go Flintstone style; but for my 125 lbs. daughter it's perfect. She's 5'7" and an athlete and is very comfortable on it.

Unfortunately, the rear spring on the XPect is not adjustable.
The XPect does sink enough that someone 5'4" could manage it as long as they weigh something, and once your on it, the weight on that bike does feel fairly low compared to the other dual sports, so it feels more manageble.
If someone small is bent on a road-able dual sport, the XPect is probably the way to go.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 01-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameetalwaysrides View Post
anyone else?
Just a suggestion...If you can fit over the seat, try to get a bike with 21" front tire, and 17, 18 or 19" rear tire. Preferably 19". 19 and 21" are the most common tire sizes for both dual sport and dirt bikes. I have a 19" front tire, and it is SLIM pickins for tires. The OEM dual sports on my Bashan Storm are 60% road oriented. I had to get a Shinko 524 (70/100-19). Great tire but not DOT approved. I will have to change it back to the dual sport tire for bi-annual safety inspection. What a pain in the neck!

I want a barely street legal tire on the street legal dirt bike. D606 and similar good 90% off road street DOT approved tires are typically ONLY available in a 21" front tire. Don't say I didn't warn ya' !

Old 01-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #18

5'3 and 12 years old? You're about ready to grow so fast your joints will hurt. Don't undersell yourself on a short bike. You'll be a tall string bean before you know it. Just like mom used to do, buy your shoes to grow into.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I had to get a Shinko 524 (70/100-19). Great tire but not DOT approved. I will have to change it back to the dual sport tire for bi-annual safety inspection. What a pain in the neck!

I want a barely street legal tire on the street legal dirt bike. D606 and similar good 90% off road street DOT approved tires are typically ONLY available in a 21" front tire. Don't say I didn't warn ya' !
The Kenda Trackmaster is available in 70/100-19 and is DOT approved. It is pretty much the same tread pattern as that Shinko.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
The Lifan XPect is a very nice bike in this price bracket. My 17 yo daughter rides one. She's 5'8". Note that the Lifan is fine for riding dirt roads, but it's not really for dirt tracks or jumping.

Seat height can be a little misleading. How wide is the seat? A wider seat, like some of the dual sports have (Brozz, XPect, Hawk), will keep your legs spread out more and require more leg length to reach the ground.
yes I think thats what im gonna get

Old 01-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #21

Tbr7

Old 01-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Just a suggestion...If you can fit over the seat, try to get a bike with 21" front tire, and 17, 18 or 19" rear tire. Preferably 19". 19 and 21" are the most common tire sizes for both dual sport and dirt bikes. I have a 19" front tire, and it is SLIM pickins for tires. The OEM dual sports on my Bashan Storm are 60% road oriented. I had to get a Shinko 524 (70/100-19). Great tire but not DOT approved. I will have to change it back to the dual sport tire for bi-annual safety inspection. What a pain in the neck!

Which bike is like that, ill research it

Old 01-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Which bike is like that, ill research it
Just look at specs. Wheel/tire sizes are there.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Just look at specs. Wheel/tire sizes are there.
im planning to get lifan x-pect but front is 19

Old 01-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #25

Then prepare to be dissapointed .

Old 01-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #26

Quote:
im planning to get lifan x-pect but front is 19

So Kenda Trackmaster is a knobby and yes, available in 70/100-19 so there is a nice aggressive 19" knobby that is DOT approved for street legal use. No problem I guess.

Lots of Lifan Xpect owners here and they post!

My son just ordered a TBR7 for $1349 plus $169 shipping though. Sweet deal and we are awaiting delivery.
Maybe Don has a couple more to sell. Send me a private message if you want his email address.
Here is the bike:

https://www.shopapmc.com/New-2021-TB...ing_p_241.html

Old 01-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #27

Recently sold a used tbr7 to a 14 year old that was about 5'8. Lower the front forks a little for him and it was good enough to get around. It's a great bike to learn and tinker with. Ride safe!

Old 01-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #28

Despite recommending the Lifan X-pect as a good sub $2k bike, I'm not sure it's the best one for someone your size. My son is 12 and is about 5'5". Here he is sitting on it. he's resting his weight on the seat but has trouble touching the ground. It's comfortable for me at about 5'11" but I was surprised at how big this thing is.

I think you'll have trouble managing the bike, probably bang it or yourself up right away, and that's not going to do well for future prospects with parents.

If you absolutely need street legal, (which, honestly, why? You can't get a driver's license for a few years) I think you should consider something like a Grom clone. I hear they can be ok on trails with knobby tires. But even better, I'd say to look into a smaller pit bike (got this kid a Tao DB14) and forget about streets for now.

Speaking as a parent of a kid your age, I would love to see my kid learning to ride on an appropriately sized bike, and keeping him doing so after he grows out of it. There's some danger for sure, but I think there's equal or greater danger in the kid sitting in front of a computer playing Roblox all day, and hopefully your parents agree. Motorbikes get you out of the house and active, encourage you to learn to fix things, motivate you to earn money to buy gas, parts, mods, and gear, and will even make you a better car driver when the time comes. If your parents don't agree, have em talk to me, I'll set em straight!

Old 01-18-2022, 01:39 PM   #29

That's it. Set 'em straight Frank

A pitbike is an excellent recommendation, and they are much cheaper. It is also very true that learning how to handle a motorcycle (and a clutch) will make you a better driver on the road, either on two or four wheels. Learn to break the rear tire loose and do sliding turns, wheelies, jumps. Not only fun, but instructive!

Something like this... not tiny, not too big. 4 speed 125cc with a clutch, under $1000.
https://www.shopapmc.com/New-Apollo-...ded_p_312.html
Email Don on the Contact page (email address) and see what he can do for you on the price, and shipping!

Old 01-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Orion Rxb 190l

please check out all of these bikes and tell me which one would be best for me, feel free to add more suggestions!

I am around 5ยด3
This is the choice you will want to make, I promise you. These bikes are so much fun. Super light, they make a street legal one (depending on state). And you can always bump that 190 to a 212 and really rip it. I have 2 of the 150s and they are all the bike I need.