Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #1

Getting lost on the hawk

Last weekend adventure started calling my name. I hadn't really taken the hawk out any great distance in awhile and it was so nice out. I filled it up, put a few tools in the saddle bags, and off I went.

I had just spent a few days on vacation with an old elementary school friend. We got to talking about the old days, of course, and got on the subject of the house he grew up in (mostly). We both knew the general area of the house but neither of us could remember the exact route. The house is way back in the boonies and there are many turns on dirt/gravel roads. When I got back I decided I would try to find it on my trusty hawk.

The route before getting to the back roads is about 20 minutes on two lane 55mph roads. I cruised at that speed and while everyone else likes to do 65 or so, everyone gave me my space and was respectful.

I arrived to the first side road and it was paved for about a mile, then turned into gravel. After several twists and turns I came to the road I suspected to be the correct one to find the house. It was a semi washed out dirt road that ran right through the forest. Both sides of the road were plastered with Posted signs. I'm talking every other tree there was one nailed on. I stuck to the road for about a mile and a half when I came to an open gate that had more posted and no trespassing signs all over it. I didn't dare go in. I was in too good of spirits to get shot that day. I'm certain it was the correct road and we both studied google maps of my route later and confirmed I was most likely in the right place and the house would have only been a little further ahead. I was looking forward to seeing it again, it was a cool place for two 10 year old kids to play and get into mischief. Not to mention it was just a nice house as his father was an engineer and made a ton of money. It was like a mansion to a kid like me who grew up in a trailer.

I kept roaming the back roads for a couple hours and came across a really cool old trailer that looked like something right out of the 50's and or Fallout. I then found a really cool low water bridge and snapped a few pics of it and enjoyed the cool air. Took my boots off and let the fish bite my feet.

I probably clocked around 50 miles but a lot of it was just slow going dirt and gravel. So I was gone for about 3 hours in total. It was great to just get out and revisit some of the old areas of my childhood I hadn't been to since I was probably 13.

The hawk never missed a beat and never let me down in any way. One of the most solid china bikes I've ever owned, if not the most solid.

hawk1 by 64bit2011, on

hawk3 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hawk2 by 64bit2011, on Flickr
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Last edited by jsumd; 05-02-2024 at 09:55 PM.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:15 PM   #2

Nice old trailer, complete with A/C unit. Wht do you think, 500 sq ft ?

I am surprised that rusty old padlock is intact. I wouldn't want to break it, but I would love to see the inside layout, upholstery (imagine what it used to look like!), galley equipment, sleeping accomodations, lights and power setup. It would ba a fascinating glimpse into the past. My guess is that it's 70+/- years old.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Nice old trailer, complete with A/C unit. Wht do you think, 500 sq ft ?

I am surprised that rusty old padlock is intact. I wouldn't want to break it, but I would love to see the inside layout, upholstery (imagine what it used to look like!), galley equipment, sleeping accomodations, lights and power setup. It would ba a fascinating glimpse into the past. My guess is that it's 70+/- years old.
I have no idea what the sq ft would be. I've always been horrible at estimating that sort of thing.

I would have loved to have seen inside but I didn't want to mess around there too much. I might check it out a little closer if I go back that way. At least see if I can get a quick shot through a window or something. If i'm feeling dangerous lol
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 05-02-2024, 09:03 PM   #4

can you imagine the stories that trailer would tell if it could talk? when i see stuff like this my imagination goes wild for a second thinking about the lives that were led there. everyone has their own story. would love to know what so many places could say if they could talk.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
can you imagine the stories that trailer would tell if it could talk? when i see stuff like this my imagination goes wild for a second thinking about the lives that were led there. everyone has their own story. would love to know what so many places could say if they could talk.
I agree! I always wonder the same thing. Who lived way out there in that retro thing and why. Then why was it abandoned?
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 05-02-2024, 09:15 PM   #6

By the way... that wouldn't happen to be poison ivy on the lower right part of the photo, would it!? Maybe not, but I am extra cautious about that stuff...

I've snagged poisong ivy in the Columbia river gorge on the Oregon side, in the redwood forest (taking a pee-a veritable nightmare I can attest to), Northern border of Ohio on a beach of lake Erie, and in my own back yard right here at home (weeds creeping in from neighbor's tree into the garden!). I have become seriously vigilant watching for it

It is usually the legs or forearms that get into it.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:20 PM   #7

you know..people can talk crap on Chinabikes but the truth is, if not for them, i wouldn't be out exploring covered bridges? or anything like that. Its an inexpensive way to get into it and learn. its so much freakin fun for such a small investment..even with the wrenching and bullshit. its worth it. at least to me.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
By the way... that wouldn't happen to be poison ivy on the lower right part of the photo, would it!? Maybe not, but I am extra cautious about that stuff...

I've snagged poisong ivy in the Columbia river gorge on the Oregon side, in the redwood forest (taking a pee-a veritable nightmare I can attest to), Northern border of Ohio on a beach of lake Erie, and in my own back yard right here at home (weeds creeping in from neighbor's tree into the garden!). I have become seriously vigilant watching for it

It is usually the legs or forearms that get into it.
Could be! i don't pay much attention to tbh. I got it once about 20 years ago really bad during a paintball game. Now it seems like I can roll in it and it won't bother me a bit. I don't blame you for looking out for it though!
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 05-02-2024, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
you know..people can talk crap on Chinabikes but the truth is, if not for them, i wouldn't be out exploring covered bridges? or anything like that. Its an inexpensive way to get into it and learn. its so much freakin fun for such a small investment..even with the wrenching and bullshit. its worth it. at least to me.
I wouldn't be out exploring dirt roads in the middle of nowhere on any of my other bikes for sure. It just is made for that kind of thing. It isn't heavy and its not going to cost a fortune if you drop it and break something. To be honest, I've had more fun on it this season than i've had on my harley or r6 in the past few years. I choose it over them almost all the time. I've been riding for 15 years and there is still something special about a cheap china bike.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 05-02-2024, 09:50 PM   #10

also i just realized my tags are out when i was checking out the potential poison ivy in the pic. Doh!
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 05-05-2024, 11:33 PM   #11

Another Sunday. Another adventure on the old trusty hawk.

I decided to go visit the local park with some historic recreational areas. The Natural Tunnel State Park is only about 25 minutes from me so I made that my destination.

They have built a home called a Block House that was used by settlers to defend themselves against Native Americans. The top floor was built to overhang the lower floor. There were firing ports in the floor of the upper level to fire down on any would be attackers. They have also recreated some of the outbuildings that would have existed on the farm. It was all very interesting.

There were a few gravel roads that led away from the park and I decided to explore those as well. One went back down the mountain and ended up coming out at a trout stocking point along the creek. I made my way back up that road and chose another route. This was another gravel road that went by a historic church. I passed two guys on this road that were riding old chinese scooters of some sort. They were stopped by the road having lunch. I went to turn around and have a chat, but by the time I got back they had already left. The scooters looked like some of the earlier models I would see around in 2010 or so.

All in all I did about 50 more miles today on the Hawk and stayed out about 3 1/2 hours. The valve adjustment I did really seemed to open the hawk up some more. I have also added a nibbi coil. Not sure which was giving me the most new power but I'll take it. The bike performed flawlessly as always. I'm at about 1700 miles now.

Enjoy the photos!

hwk1 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk2 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk3 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk4 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk5 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk6 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk7 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk8 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk9 by 64bit2011, on Flickr

hwk10 by 64bit2011, on Flickr
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Last edited by jsumd; 05-06-2024 at 01:17 PM.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I couldn't agree more....I would even go as far as saying the wrenching and BS was beneficial too. I'm no mechanic, but have always been mechanically inclined. The wrenching and BS gave me a crash course in everything motorcycle and I'm a better rider because of it.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)