Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

what a HAM

Ok so I'm thinking of getting into HAM radio. Anyone here have any experience with HAM radios? Of course I'm thinking of getting a Chinese Baofeng either 5 watt or 8 watt. I know very little about them so I'm watching a youtube vid to teach me to get my Technician License.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #2

The little BaoFengs are ok. I have one that I use to listen in on the local repeaters. I'm not that active on it, so it has lasted a while.

One of my buddies has bought several and recently told me that he is not buying them anymore as they keep blowing outputs on the transmitter side.

They are a great way to get started, but not up to the quality of the Kenwoods, ICOM's and Yaesu radios yet.

Good luck with your technician test. There are some great online practice test sites out there!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #3

started to read kb6nu study guide. Holy smokes I have a bunch to learn. Baofeng just released the 8 watt. seems decent for $60, The 5 watts are $25. The tech test is $15. In true chinabike fashion, I'm hoping to be under $100. A Kenwood is like $400. If I like it I will spring for the premium stuff.