Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #16

I'll try and snap a couple photos this evening, I remember seeing the rubber between the swingarm and frame being smashed and looking to be in pretty bad shape. Once I have it apart I'll take some measurements and post my findings in the 'Hawk technical info' thread, hopefully along with some matching aftermarket parts.

It might be a good opportunity for a little upgrade on that component.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That's great. Do you have any photos of the Hawk's swingarm bearings? I might be wrong, but it appears the CSC TT250 uses bushings surrounded by rubber in the swingarm. If this is true, and the Hawk employs sealed wheel bearings in the swingarm, the Hawk has a superior swingarm.

Sorry for the misunderstanding I was talking about the rims wheel bearings.

2014 Hawk 250
Firehawk minibike
Previous bikes~
1995 Yamaha YZ125
1998 Yamaha YZ250
1981 Yamaha YZ465
1987 Honda TRX 250R X2 one stock one modified
2002 Buell Blast
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2000 Kawasaki ZR7

Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDSRIDER View Post
Sorry for the misunderstanding I was talking about the rims wheel bearings.
No problema, amigo. Thanks for posting the clarification.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #19

Got swing arm torn down and removed the two bushings. They were definitely done for, the rubber inside was pulverized. But, all I could get out was the smaller tube that the axle bolt goes through and the rubber.

Now I have a question, because it looks like inside the pivot point there is still a sleeve:

If I do need to remove them, are there any particular tools or tricks you can recommend?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #20

Have you found a source yet for new bushings? Take a look at new bushings and that will tell you what you need to know. I am guessing yes it looks like that outer sleeve still needs to be removed.

/

Old 04-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #21

Try to find a socket that is large enough to fit in the main hole and rest on the lip of the sleeve and then try to punch it out???

/

Old 04-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #22

Put anti seize on your new bushing outer sleeve.

/

Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichrisbot View Post
Got swing arm torn down and removed the two bushings. They were definitely done for, the rubber inside was pulverized. But, all I could get out was the smaller tube that the axle bolt goes through and the rubber.

Now I have a question, because it looks like inside the pivot point there is still a sleeve:

If I do need to remove them, are there any particular tools or tricks you can recommend?
how many miles/hours you got on that puppy?
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #24

Quote:

Another trick is to cut that outer metal ring of the bushing with a hacksaw. Just enough but not cutting into the swingarm. If you can get it an half inch or so, then you can drive a small sharp chisel in and bend it towards the center. Once it is started, you just drive the small chisel in all the way and when the "true circle" is deformed it will come out quite easily.

If you do not relieve it with the hacksaw cut, it will not buckle in easily.

I usually scarf it out with a torch, but you probably do not have those tools handy, plus it is a very delicate procedure.
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #25

Mag00 ....Well said, was to mention the heat but like your idea. Have done both. Not fun when the red cancer gets it
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #26

another trick you could try that I just did with a stuck honda civic trailing arm bushing outer sleeve.... try to find a socket that fits just inside the pivot point but contacts the outer sleeve, and hammer away! worked great on my civic except I had to buy a 2.5 inch spindle/axle socket from autozone because the ring is so big.

Edit also be sure to brace it somehow so you don't bend the swingarm... I used a 2x4 between the trailing arm and frame... obviously it will be a little trickier with a bike though...

Old 04-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #27

Thanks for the info, I'm going to take another wack at it tonight, hopefully I can make some relief cuts on them and pop them out. If I'm still having trouble, I have a friend with a large hydraulic press that should be able to assist me. My little harbor freight arbor press is not quite big enough lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
how many miles/hours you got on that puppy?
About 650km according to the odometer (I think it's in KM at least), not sure about hours. But the majority has definitely been hard riding at the track, although plates are hopefully on the way from VT soon so I'll be able to cruise around town a little.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'm going to take another wack at it tonight, hopefully I can make some relief cuts on them and pop them out. If I'm still having trouble, I have a friend with a large hydraulic press that should be able to assist me. My little harbor freight arbor press is not quite big enough lol.

About 650km according to the odometer (I think it's in KM at least), not sure about hours. But the majority has definitely been hard riding at the track, although plates are hopefully on the way from VT soon so I'll be able to cruise around town a little.
Haha this freaked me out, so I went outside and pulled the rear swing arm and shock bolts and coated them in grease.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
Haha this freaked me out, so I went outside and pulled the rear swing arm and shock bolts and coated them in grease.
Good for you. Preventive maintenance circumvents a lot of problems.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Good for you. Preventive maintenance circumvents a lot of problems.
Very true, I was surprised to find the bolt almost completely dry. The bigger the glob the better the job!

I also drive mine like I stole it most of the time(1st-2nd gear wheelies, jumps, mixed off roading, and lots of road travel) so I feel obligated to help the bike out in any way I can.

No problems yet! (fingers crossed...)

Last edited by mq1991; 04-20-2016 at 12:28 PM.